• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We haven't considered the fallout...

Diesel

• Premium Member

If we don't make this a full rebuild, the fallout of this will be pretty bad for the franchise.  We bring in a hometown hall of famer and we don't pass him the ball.. then the next year, we ship him off because we wanted cash?

It makes no sense unless we do a full rebuild.. otherwise, Free Agents will avoid us. 

• Like 2

I don't necessarily agree, although I think a rebuild is definitely the direction it appears we're heading.  What if everyone realized in today's NBA how poor of a fit Dwight was, especially with Bud's offense and they are moving to correct it? 

What if Atlanta plans on re-signing Millsap and Ilyasova and go with the lineup they went with late in games?

Schröder
THJ
Prince
Ilyasova
Millsap

That's a small lineup and we go back to having problems rebounding, but it's definitely a more athletic, better spacing team.  It's absolutely not a contending team so I don't see the point in it, but I'm just trying to make sense of all the noise out there. 

I will say the current state of the NBA is disappointing as a fan.  I don't mind my team rebuilding as I came back to the Hawks during that dreadful 13 win season, but when players dictate when and where they want to play after they've committed to playing for one team for a set amount is frustrating.  It's essentially 3 or 4 legitimate teams and the Washington Generals for the rest of the league.  Sure it's entertaining, but we all know the Globetrotters win at the end of the day. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I don't necessarily agree, although I think a rebuild is definitely the direction it appears we're heading.  What if everyone realized in today's NBA how poor of a fit Dwight was, especially with Bud's offense and they are moving to correct it? 

What if Atlanta plans on re-signing Millsap and Ilyasova and go with the lineup they went with late in games?

Schröder
THJ
Prince
Ilyasova
Millsap

That's a small lineup and we go back to having problems rebounding, but it's definitely a more athletic, better spacing team.  It's absolutely not a contending team so I don't see the point in it, but I'm just trying to make sense of all the noise out there. 

I will say the current state of the NBA is disappointing as a fan.  I don't mind my team rebuilding as I came back to the Hawks during that dreadful 13 win season, but when players dictate when and where they want to play after they've committed to playing for one team for a set amount is frustrating.  It's essentially 3 or 4 legitimate teams and the Washington Generals for the rest of the league.  Sure it's entertaining, but we all know the Globetrotters win at the end of the day. 

I hear you!!   I don't see the logic considering our New GM to not send more people packing... including Dennis. 

Fact:  Hawks were not going to "win it all" with their current roster.

We all believe this because, as fans, we followed the Hawks last season.

We signed a new GM because we all knew we had to do something.  Well,

Hawks have now started to do something.  It may not be what we, as individuals,

would have done if we were the new GM.

Don't everyone over react, believing that now, if we lose Millsap, we are totally

doomed to a 30 win season.  We still have a couple of pretty good players, we

have some cap space and there just might be someone, although I don't know

who, that might just be willing to take our money and come here to play.

Don't sell our new GM short yet.  He may fall on his face.  Maybe not.

Not yet time to sing, "Gloom, despair and agony on me."

"It ain't over 'til it's over and it ain't over yet!"

• Like 2

Yea trading Dwight is gonna scare of potential FA's. He played his heart out here, was never a locker room or media issue and he had good stats all year and we just ship him along after one year.

We do not have the winning history to get good players here and we certainly don;t have a history of treating player well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Yea trading Dwight is gonna scare of potential FA's. He played his heart out here, was never a locker room or media issue and he had good stats all year and we just ship him along after one year.

We do not have the winning history to get good players here and we certainly don;t have a history of treating player well.

Did you not see his comments following his PT in the playoffs?  Did you not see his lack of rotations on Washington's PnR vs. us in the playoffs?  He was giving us half an effort in that series and got benched for it and then lashed out whining about his touches and PT.  I like Dwight, even now, but he needs to realize his current place in the NBA is a rebounder and shot blocker.  He can get his points off putbacks and crashing as the PnR man.  Sorry, but you're obviously viewing Dwight through rose colored glasses at this point and like him, failing to see his flaws. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bankingitbig said:

I don't think us trading Dwight will have any impact on future free agents. Dwight isn't a well liked player around the league as far as I understand. Everyone knows he is a diva. It's a new GM doing his plan and free agents will understand that.

Is Dennis a well liked player around the league? I guess we should trade him for fish heads and rice too by that rationale. If you don't think trading a guy 1 year into a 3 year deal will give free agents and agents pause I disagree. If you had a colleague that went to work at another company and they fired him 1 year into the job because they changed direction, then would you be lining up to work there? There's a certain soda company and home improvement company that's headquarter in the Atlanta area that are known for hiring and laying off all the time. They are always hiring yet; I never look at their positions for this simple fact. I'm sure they overpay to get talent, but they don't have a salary cap and we do. Basketball players are humans too with families just like you and I. This is a bad look. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

If we don't make this a full rebuild, the fallout of this will be pretty bad for the franchise.  We bring in a hometown hall of famer and we don't pass him the ball.. then the next year, we ship him off because we wanted cash?

It makes no sense unless we do a full rebuild.. otherwise, Free Agents will avoid us. 

It's now lost in 15 pages of Dwight Traded!!!.... but fwiw, no, actually we have, and I'd hoped the proposition was pretty much debunked in short order (... fat chance, eh?)

2017-06-21_1004.png

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Is Dennis a well liked player around the league? I guess we should trade him for fish heads and rice too by that rationale. If you don't think trading a guy 1 year into a 3 year deal will give free agents and agents pause I disagree. If you had a colleague that went to work at another company and they fired him 1 year into the job because they changed direction, then would you be lining up to work there? There's a certain soda company and home improvement company that's headquarter in the Atlanta area that are known for hiring and laying off all the time. They are always hiring yet; I never look at their positions for this simple fact. I'm sure they overpay to get talent, but they don't have a salary cap and we do. Basketball players are humans too with families just like you and I. This is a bad look. 

Not sure what Dennis has to do with this. Dwight not necessarily being perceived as a well liked player around the league is not the rationale for trading him. Don't get it mistaken.

If a known acquaintance of mine, who I thought was a diva and has burned a lot of bridges at past companies, was fired after one year at a new company, would this have any impact in terms of how I viewed that new company? No..... especially when you factor that new company having a change of management from the ones who hired the diva.

Edited by Bankingitbig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

What kind of fish heads?  It sounds rather tempting.

21 minutes ago, Watchman said:

What kind of fish heads?  It sounds rather tempting.

I'm all for selling high on Dennis. Let him take 25 shots a game this year and sell high on him next year. You know how the NBA likes volume shooters. Don't think Schlenk isn't thinking about it. His first comment about Dennis was I was surprised he was hear working in the summer. Maybe I'm reading too much into his comment, but it sounds like his perception of Dennis was he's not a worker. Would anyone say they were surprised to see Lebron, KD or Curry working in the summer?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

Free agents are always going to avoid this team. The situation sure hasn't improved. Even after a 60 win season.

4 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Fact:  Hawks were not going to "win it all" with their current roster.

We all believe this because, as fans, we followed the Hawks last season.

We signed a new GM because we all knew we had to do something.  Well,

Hawks have now started to do something.  It may not be what we, as individuals,

would have done if we were the new GM.

Don't everyone over react, believing that now, if we lose Millsap, we are totally

doomed to a 30 win season.  We still have a couple of pretty good players, we

have some cap space and there just might be someone, although I don't know

who, that might just be willing to take our money and come here to play.

Don't sell our new GM short yet.  He may fall on his face.  Maybe not.

Not yet time to sing, "Gloom, despair and agony on me."

"It ain't over 'til it's over and it ain't over yet!"

I'd say 30 wins would be overly optimistic.

56 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into his comment, but it sounds like his perception of Dennis was he's not a worker. Would anyone say they were surprised to see Lebron, KD or Curry working in the summer?

On the other side of the coin, Dennis does live in two different countries. Imagine he works out in both locations.

10 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

I'm all for selling high on Dennis. Let him take 25 shots a game this year and sell high on him next year. You know how the NBA likes volume shooters. Don't think Schlenk isn't thinking about it. His first comment about Dennis was I was surprised he was hear working in the summer. Maybe I'm reading too much into his comment, but it sounds like his perception of Dennis was he's not a worker. Would anyone say they were surprised to see Lebron, KD or Curry working in the summer?

I agree. Sell high on Dennis. He could be one of the better scoring smallish guards in the NBA. Kinda a poor mans Kyrie. Not sure that's the guy we want to build around though.

Funny that before the GM hire I thought I had an idea of our ten man rotation to start the next season would be then when Schlenk was hired figured this year just the draft would shift for us and it would be too hard to trade our fat contracts soon. Now who in the world can guess what that rotation will be, I haven't a remote clue. Just trying to figure what is a possible return for Baze at the moment.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Free agents aren't going to avoid us anymore than they already do.   You know what kills free agents wanting to come here?  A directionless, middling, weak team.   

Its not the California sun that has seen Iggy, Durant, Zaza and others signing up with GS for less than they could get elsewhere.

• Like 1