• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign & trade Milsap

wolvetigers

24 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Sap wanted to come back and schlonk didnt want him.  

Hawks already had Sap under contract for this season. Sap opted out of that. Wisely, but it was his choice. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

You think the ownership didn't know Schlenk's intentions before hiring him?  Yet they still hired him.   I think it's pretty clear what ownership wanted here and they were going to bring in someone who would make this rebuild happen.

Of course ownership/Schlenk would say publicly that we aren't tanking.  That would be an attendance nightmare.

Regardless, I do think this is more a shift to get younger and more flexible.  We obviously aren't going to be as good this year but we weren't winning anything with Sap and Howard and they are getting old anyway.  Might as well move on now then delay what inevitably will happen anyway.

The game was up when they were unable to land Butler or George at midseason.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I would rather have real NBA players.  This is turning into a quasi Braves rebuild and both are disgusting.

Do you think it is impossible to get a real NBA player outside of the first round ?

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

Nah. Dwight rarely dominated the post even in his prime. He doesn't have reliable post moves or shooting touch. Where Dwight would've excelled (imo) is catching the ball moving towards the basket, but Dwight has rejected that since his LA days. Bud just tried to maximize the talent we had and when you really think about it, this team was severely deficient in offensive talent. We've been short on offense since Joe started to decline. We were going to suck pretty bad the year after next (again imo) and stuck with about 60 mil per tied into a front court in their mid-30s.

Good point. Max out Millsap and this is the worst offensive team in the NBA in an "Offense era". We would still be fighting for a playoff spot.

6 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Do you think it is impossible to get a real NBA player outside of the first round ?

On occasion it's possible.  Every so often some slide through the cracks.  

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

On occasion it's possible.  Every so often some slide through the cracks.  

Would you then agree having multiple late round picks increases the chances of getting real NBA players ?

EDIT: I also meant late/mid first round picks in my original question. I think you understood what I meant though.

Edited by EazyRoc

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, hazer said:

Oh, is Schlenkholzer trading away Dennis and Prince for cheaper guys and picks? Hmmm, I missed that...

LOL, Hazer, I almost never disagree with you, but citing Schröder and Prince like they are capable of competing for anything more thatn a high lotto pick is unreal. They're OK players whom I want in the Hawks roster, but sometimes people act like they're world-beaters. They're not.

7 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

LOL, Hazer, I almost never disagree with you, but citing Schröder and Prince like they are capable to compete for anything more thatn a high lotto pick is unreal. They're OK players whom I want in the Hawks roster, but sometimes people act like they're world-beaters. They're not.

Then you still don't disagree with me, they're not world-beaters. But if Hawks are tanking, besides dumping Dwight and SnTing Sap, they also dump Menace and freshPrince for cheaper replacement and draft picks. Which they haven't ;)

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, hazer said:

Then you still don't disagree with me, they're not world-beaters. But if Hawks are tanking, besides dumping Dwight and SnTing Sap, they also dump Menace and freshPrince for cheaper replacement and draft picks. Which they haven't ;)

What if they see them as building blçocks for the future?

You can tank and not get rid of them if you want it. Just fill the roster with inept players and voilà.

Just now, BrazilianHawk said:

What if they see them as building blçocks for the future?

You can tank and not get rid of them if you want it. Just fill the roster with inept players and voilà.

You have it exactly right about the players and plan. I just don't think that word means what you (and many others) think it means.

12 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

The meltdown by some posters is comedy. Some people only want to treadmill...the sane ones understand the goal here is to get a championship one day. 

It's not ever going to happen though.  Certain teams just don't have it in their DNA and the Hawks are one of them. 

50 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Would you then agree having multiple late round picks increases the chances of getting real NBA players ?

EDIT: I also meant late/mid first round picks in my original question. I think you understood what I meant though.

Well yes it increases your chances simply on a numbers basis.  I would prefer to sign already proven NBA players above anything else.  

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

The meltdown by some posters is comedy. Some people only want to treadmill...the sane ones understand the goal here is to get a championship one day. 

Some of us (the sane ones) understand this is entertainment and sports. Not all teams can win. All of us want the team to win someday, but some of us don't really care about losing in the playoffs. You've got to be in the playoffs if you want to win.

There is no guarantee the Hawks will do better than the Kings in this "rebuild". We could be out of the playoffs for 10+ years. Who's to say we won't? The insane ones will now watch the Hawks rooting for them to lose so we can finally land the basketball Jesus who will take this franchise to the promised land. Because it worked really well the last times they did it.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, hazer said:

You have it exactly right about the players and plan. I just don't think that word means what you (and many others) think it means.

I do think they (the management, not the players) will lose on purpose. Don't you? Don't you think they are deliberately getting rid of their best playes in order to lose?

Ah, right. It's actually in order to remain flexible, not to lose.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I do think they (the management, not the players) will lose on purpose. Don't you? Don't you think they are deliberately getting rid of their best playes in order to lose?

If you are referring to Howard as one of the best  players management is getting rid of...the truth is Bud didn't want him plain and simple. It would be foolish to keep an expensive player the coach wasn't going to play full time.  As for Sap, he opted out of his contract to get more money t Han the Hawks were willing to spend on him.

16 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I honestly think they're shooting for the last spot in the playoffs, to continue the streak. Winning 35 games might accomplish that in the weakling East. The 15th pick isn't any different than the 14th really, and the playoff streak is something to some people (not me). I also think their mindset is that they can still keep the playoff streak alive and bundle their 3 firsts for a lottery pick anyway, and that doing it this way while remaining flexible is a much quicker (3 years vs 5+) way than "tanking" to the bottom for a top 5 pick. Which they are clearly not doing.

Edited by hazer