Hawks sign & trade Milsap

wolvetigers

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do these folk continue to try to attack Schlenk without having all of their facts.  They were ready to burn him at the stake yesterday without seeing what will happen later. Then today he is involved in a trade that looks pretty good from our end.  The response from a team fan is that he is overmatched...A conclusion drawn from a poster who doesn't know the details of Crawford's contract.  I think this is a prime example of what Dolfan was saying yesterday.  The Atlanta fan is just different.

sometimes, you can't be afraid of the unknown, when you know what the known means because of what was done (and sure, what the known was may've been different with Ferry but we can't predict what would've happened then). It's the same thing with Mark Richt and Georgia. Mark Richt means the safety of having a high floor of 8-4/9-3 in most years...and a low ceiling of 10-2/11-1. But fans want more. They want to see titles or have a chance at them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

He hasn't made a single move that would help the team compete this year.  Look at the roster.  This is a tank job, and it is a definitive red mark on Travis Schlenk at this point.  I was hoping he was smart enough to not tank the roster to the bottom.

What roster? We don't even have a roster yet. Wouldn't surprise me though if Hawks still win 30-something games and sneak in the playoffs. Which, now with 3 first-rounders next year able to bundle and move up, wouldn't be as bad of a thing as before. Keep the playoff streak alive and still snag a lottery pick. Until Schlenkholzer trades The Menace and freshPrince for cheap guys and picks, they're...not...taaaaaaaaaaaanking.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

sometimes, you can't be afraid of the unknown, when you know what the known means because of what was done (and sure, what the known was may've been different with Ferry but we can't predict what would've happened then). It's the same thing with Mark Richt and Georgia. Mark Richt means the safety of having a high floor of 8-4/9-3 in most years...and a low ceiling of 10-2/11-1. But fans want more. They want to see titles or have a chance at them.

It still doesn't explain the undeserved attacks!  This is a good deal for the hawks but yet it is criticized.  He also came out with a statement about Hardaway which should have been well received but he got blow back from that too

Just now, Peoriabird said:

It still doesn't explain the undeserved attacks!  This is a good deal for the hawks but yet it is criticized.  He also came out with a statement about Hardaway which should have been well received but he got blow back from that too

People just hate the unknown and I'm not going to go as far as to name names but I'd think people in certain professions would understand the idea of venturing into the unknown.

In the south especially, the safety of mainly being a certain win team with a ceiling of this (that we saw three times), is not really going to fly because the NBA in this area in general is probably the 3rd most liked (and 4th if you don't combine NFL and college football). Sometimes you have to shoot your shot.

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I still don't get it...What is not known???  The only thing that has changed over the past 36 hours is Paul Millsap was not resigned.  Now we know that we will most likel receive some usable assets which should be cause for celebration but not for some.  Also he made the claim that he would not over pay for free agents including Hardaway should also be cause for celebration but not for some.  The decline of the the Hawks has nothing to do with Schlenk.  That chain reaction was started by Bud alone.  You can't even blame Cox because he wanted to do the right thing.  Now that Schlenk is trying to clean up this mess, he is receiving the brunt of the blame which is unfair!

About rebuilding vs standing completely pat.

29 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He hasn't made a single move that would help the team compete this year.  Look at the roster.  This is a tank job, and it is a definitive red mark on Travis Schlenk at this point.  I was hoping he was smart enough to not tank the roster to the bottom.

This isn't a damn tank. To tank is to purposely lose to get a chance at a very high draft pick. Philly was tanking. We are shedding older players who won't help us 2-3 years down the line when we will probably start making moves to get to contender status. How does having a 37ish year old Millsap and a 35ish Dwight Howard at that point help us ? If he wanted to "tank to the bottom", we'd be dropping Dennis, THJ, Prince , and any other player with value. You, and others, are being very overdramatic.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I love when people misquote and then run their platform from it. Schlenk never said that we are trying to compete this year

In discussing the Dwight Howard trade prior to the NBA Draft on Thursday evening, general manager Travis Schlenk was asked if the team is planning to rebuild and he pushed back on that notion. “No. Our goal is still to be competitive,” Schlenk said. Being competitive and increasing our flexibility. That's still where we are. But we're not in a rebuild phase."

Schlenk also began his address to the assembled media by emphasizing flexibility as the back drop for the Howard trade, despite the less than enthusiastic return. “Like I've maintained from the beginning,” Schlenk said. “Our number one goal is to maintain our flexibility as we work to get this franchise going in the direction we want it to. This trade helps us, we believe, accomplish long-term and short-term flexibility.

“We want to be exciting,” Schlenk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “We are going to play an exciting brand of basketball. We want to be competitive. We want fans to show up every night thinking we have a chance to win. Fans in Philly, I don’t think they felt that way. That’s not our goal. If we make the playoffs, great. If we miss out one year, it’s not the end of the world. We just have a chance to get a better player. Our goal is to be competitive.

What we did in Golden State is what we are trying to do here,” Schlenk said. “We never really were terrible. We were winning 30-some games, staying competitive, so when you get the last month of the season you are in the playoff hunt. But when you get your draft picks, you’ve got to be right. We did an unbelievable job in Golden State when you talk about Steph Curry. Ekpe Udoh, we didn’t do great on that one. But then Klay Thompson followed up with Harrison Barnes. Three out of four years, we got an NBA player. We feel good about getting John (Collins) at 19 this year. Taurean (Prince) last year for these guys. We’ve got a base.

Again, we are trying to be competitive. The Philly model is not our model. We are going to continue to add guys who help us be competitive but are also on deals that allow us to have flexibility.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Take away all the nay Sayers and haters and the post on HS would be cut by 70%.  Ha

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

About rebuilding vs standing completely pat.

The only aggressive move was the Howard trade and clearly Bud didn't like Howard and was reluctant to use him so he had to go.  Paul Millsap chose to sign with someone else above his real value.  So there was no choice other than a worse one vs what he actually did.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The only aggressive move was the Howard trade and clearly Bud didn't like Howard and was reluctant to use him so he had to go.  Paul Millsap chose to sign with someone else above his real value.  So there was no choice other than a worse one vs what he actually did.

Sap wanted to come back and schlonk didnt want him.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hazer said:

What roster? We don't even have a roster yet. Wouldn't surprise me though if Hawks still win 30-something games and sneak in the playoffs. Which, now with 3 first-rounders next year able to bundle and move up, wouldn't be as bad of a thing as before. Keep the playoff streak alive and still snag a lottery pick. Until Schlenkholzer trades The Menace and freshPrince for cheap guys and picks, they're...not...taaaaaaaaaaaanking.

Having multiple mid to late first round picks is hardly some great bargaining chip.  This isn't the NFL where teams value having multiple picks and teams are more apt to trade down.  This is the NBA where the draft outside the lottery is generally terrible.  The same draft where outside the top 10 is pretty iffy.  Same draft where top 5 picks aren't always solid.  Same draft where Kwame Brown and Greg Oden lurk.

1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

People have a right to complain or applaud.  Hell im 57 yrs old and been through several rebuilds and im tired of it.   That being said there is not a thing i can do about it except complain, lol.

I get your beef with the rebuilding process. I've been a fan for 20 years, so I do understand.what you're exactly are you complaining about ? We didn't resign a 34 year old undersized PF at 30 mil per ? Or trading away a 31 declining center whose only real skill at this point was rebounding (while being a massive liability offensively due to his lack of any real skill and horrendous FT shooting) ? So we resign Millsap and keep Howard. Then what ? We slide into the playoffs for the next 3 years (maybe) and then what ? What is it you all actually want ? 3 more years of playoff sweeps ?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I get your beef with the rebuilding process. I've been a fan for 20 years, so I do understand.what you're exactly are you complaining about ? We didn't resign a 34 year old undersized PF at 30 mil per ? Or trading away a 31 declining center whose only real skill at this point was rebounding (while being a massive liability offensively due to his lack of any real skill and horrendous FT shooting) ? So we resign Millsap and keep Howard. Then what ? We slide into the playoffs for the next 3 years (maybe) and then what ? What is it you all actually want ? 3 more years of playoff sweeps ?

Paul is 32.  The biggest problem with last years team was Bud refused to adjust to his players.  The 60 win team of shooters was gone.  So he kep trying to be a 3pt  shooting  team with no shooters.  Dwight would have dominated if bud would have just set a couple plays inside for him.  

Anyway thats overand we gotta move on and hope dor the best.  

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So why did he not make it clear like Durant and take a discount like Durant?

Because the Hawks GM did not want him back

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

Having multiple mid to late first round picks is hardly some great bargaining chip.  This isn't the NFL where teams value having multiple picks and teams are more apt to trade down.  This is the NBA where the draft outside the lottery is generally terrible.  The same draft where outside the top 10 is pretty iffy.  Same draft where top 5 picks aren't always solid.  Same draft where Kwame Brown and Greg Oden lurk.

See 2 bundled picks and Taurean Prince. Extrapolate 3 bundled picks and, well, you can do the math.

Edited by hazer

1 hour ago, Alex said:

So once again the Hawks are going to make a trade solely on the basis of bending over for that team.  I love the possibility of having another first round pick that falls outside the lottery.

Would you rather have a late 1st rounder or nothing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Would you rather have a late 1st rounder or nothing?

I would rather have real NBA players.  This is turning into a quasi Braves rebuild and both are disgusting.

• Like 1