• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Former Atlanta Hawks security manager sues, alleging racist practices

HawkItus

19 minutes ago, Jeffery123 said:

Sorry but I still like my Rock music, AC/DC (back in BLACK), nirvana, Aerosmith, U2, Whild Peach, Black Crowes, Lenny Kravitz and I am neither white nor a geek.  

Been to many rock and hip hop concerts, seen crowds in person from both genres. Can you say the same? or did you post that vague comment based on what you read or saw on tv.

Those are old bands/Nostalgia acts. I'm talking about what passes for rock music in 2017.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

2 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Those are old bands. I'm talking about what passes for rock music in 2017.

rock isn't what it used to be, you are right on that.  But Gary Clark Jr., Robert Randolph and Andrew W.C. are all on my current playlist and that is not old music.  To me music is good or bad, not old or new.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Those are old bands/Nostalgia acts. I'm talking about what passes for rock music in 2017.

I'll add most anything past 1990. The only good grunge bands were Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. The hair metal days and the depressing grunge music killed the genre. I wouldn't be caught dead listening to what has past for rock since then. Most people I know feel the same way.

15 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

I've been to all sorts of concerts all over the world and in all sizes of venue and rock / alternative music are easily the most violent. Between the mosh pit where fighting is encouraged and dudes getting jealous of their girls throwing their bras and panties and all the drugs I don't think I've ever been to a show without some type of violence.

eh... Sounds more like garbage than music. 

15 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

eh... Sounds more like garbage than music. 

Granted rock from the 70's was, is, and always will be the golden era of music to me but I guarantee there are hundreds of rock bands out there whom you've probably never heard of who make music and put on great shows that are far from garbage. 

1 minute ago, hazer said:

I'm a Scottish/Spaniard/Cajun/Creek musician who's dated girls of ALL races and played in bands with ALL races of band members and seen shows from the heaviest of metals to hippist of hops to the funkiest of funks and indiest of indies. Cut the "our people" and "not all brothas" horse$hit. I'm great friends with Jewist of Jews, Broeist of Bros, Whitest of Whites, Worst Drivers of Asians. This poison mentality needs to end, or it ends us...

6659a15ea8bbb024eba0d18a866266ee.jpg

If only everyone thought that way.

I bet you wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with a Sith or a storm trooper though would you! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

I bet you wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with a Sith or a storm trooper though would you! 

So you've seen my Avatar :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

And nobody's gonna take up for the Asians, hahaaaa!

11 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Actually, the Empire's stuff was always way cooler to me, especially the collectables. And I'm Team Slithering (Snape rules!), eff those pansy Gryffindor...

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

Actually, the Empire's stuff was always way cooler to me, especially the collectables. And I'm Team Slithering (Snape rules!), eff those pansy Gryffindor...

Oooofff, that was really whitey, wasn't it. DAMMIT, Scottish heritage O.o

Edited by hazer

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Not every brotha is a brotha

Ah black on black racism. How did, I know this would emerge. If you're black and have different opinion, skin tone, or background, then you're not real brother. Ironically these people are usually as racist as the people they claim are racist if you get to know them. Discrimination is everywhere and exist even in predominantly monotone societies. When humans can't discriminate on race they find something else . Class, ethnic, background, education, income it's the one thing that seems to be a laggard in terms of human social maturation. 

I have a couple theories around why this is still in the human nature. Like groups based on distinguishing factors tend to think a like and intermingled then produce more people that have their values. I sometimes wonder if this isn't a side effect of the drive to proliferate our genes, culture etc... In short are we wired this way through genetics and the need to want to see our way survive. 

My second theory is tied to the first but relates more to scarcity and economics. The rise of the KKK's primary platform was related to give jobs back to whites and bring our values back. The Irish and Chinese faced tons of racism when they migrated here looking for job's. Is a large portion of this economics driven due to scarcity of resources and wanting to keep them "in your group"?

I don't know it's probably a combination, but I can tell you the only way to combat this is via interaction. Stereotypes and prejudices are broken down when you live work, fellowship and pray with people of a different mind. That's why I still have hope for future generations. You can still live silohed, but it's becoming harder and harder.

Oh yeah I forgot I'm a brother,  which is probably the least interesting thing about me,  but know this will help some agree with or ignore my post. :ahf:

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Ah black on black racism. How did, I know this would emerge. If you're black and have different opinion, skin tone, or background, then you're not real brother. Ironically these people are usually as racist as the people they claim are racist if you get to know them. Discrimination is everywhere and exist even in predominantly monotone societies. When humans can't discriminate on race they find something else . Class, ethnic, background, education, income it's the one thing that seems to be a laggard in terms of human social maturation. 

I have a couple theories around why this is still in the human nature. Like groups based on distinguishing factors tend to think a like and intermingled then produce more people that have their values. I sometimes wonder if this isn't a side effect of the drive to proliferate our genes, culture etc... In short are we wired this way through genetics and the need to want to see our way survive. 

My second theory is tied to the first but relates more to scarcity and economics. The rise of the KKK's primary platform was related to give jobs back to whites and bring our values back. The Irish and Chinese faced tons of racism when they migrated here looking for job's. Is a large portion of this economics driven due to scarcity of resources and wanting to keep them "in your group"?

I don't know it's probably a combination, but I can tell you the only way to combat this is via interaction. Stereotypes and prejudices are broken down when you live work, fellowship and pray with people of a different mind. That's why I still have hope for future generations. You can still live silohed, but it's becoming harder and harder.

Oh yeah I forgot I'm a brother,  which is probably the least interesting thing about me,  but know this will help some agree with or ignore my post. :ahf:

Man @ATLien_ you just reminded me of that old Eddie Griffin Voodoo Child skit about the African cab driver who told Eddie that he's not an original black man... to which Eddie replies "how black I gotta be m'fer?" then hops out of the cab and runs off without paying while yelling "no go back to Africa and tell em how a _______ done your ass wrong!" 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hazer said:

Oooofff, that was really whitey, wasn't it. DAMMIT, Scottish heritage O.o

I think you may have tied one on last night

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Why are you budding in on our personal conversation? I didn't ask for watchman's opinion nor did he. If you want to add your two cents, my inbox is open. 

"Budding" into your conversation (whatever that is supposed to mean)?  This is not your private message board. 

I don't ask for your opinion but you sure do like to give it. 

Thanks for stopping by. 

23 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

I think you may have tied one on last night

Naaaaa, just nerded out for a minute...

14 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Different rap demographic.  And that's why others are saying that no one is going to shoot up a Drake or Kanye concert.  Those guys aren't rapping about guns, violence, and/or street life.   Sometimes, the rappers who talk about those things, attract fans that come from those backgrounds.  Then things pop off . . . like it did in Little Rock, AK last weekend.

( FYI on rap nightclub shootings:  I have a theory on how some of those guys get guns even into high security nightclubs that pat everyone down.  

3 ways:

- breaking down small guns and putting it, and the clip, inside their sneakers.

- women, who may be checked far less thoroughly by male security, sneaking a gun into the club for their male acquaintance

- guy in a wheelchair, who may be checked less thoroughly, bringing in the gun )

But when you talk about well known Black comedians, like Cedric the Entertainer and D.L. Hughley being patted down, and whose audience is going to be 40 yrs old and over, now it's on a different level.

This is the reason why the TSA pats down old women and kids at airports, even if they aren't real threats.  If you have a rule, you don't deviate from it for anybody.  If you treat everyone the same, people may complain . . but you can always refer them to the policy.  When you deviate from policy, you open yourself up for trouble.

I know exactly how they get them in.   I saw it happen plenty of times.

1. They know the bouncer

2. They stash them before the event(guys would go on a Tuesday and put a heater in the ceiling panel etc.)

3. Have someone pass it to them through the fire door/back door

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JTB said:

I understand there's racism everywhere but being one who's not in the Atlanta area and someone on the outside who's been looking forward to moving to the Atlanta area, you always hear our people (black folks) talking how great it is to be in Atlanta and all the black peoples there making a good living specifically  in the Atlanta area

....but then reading yet another issue with racism or thought to be racism with the Hawks organization it's a real head scratcher.

JTB there is Atlanta and then the ATL.   Atlanta has many post graduate degreed, politically active, well to do blacks.  ATL is very similar to the show ATL.  Black folks trying to get by and making bad choices while also facing the ills of disenfranchisement.   ATL is changing due to gentrification.   As all these dynamics gather we find more and more racial tension even among the progressive parts of the community.   That is just the way it is.  You can come to Atlanta and do well for yourself.  You can also come to ATL and get F'd up.