• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Former Atlanta Hawks security manager sues, alleging racist practices

HawkItus

http://www.myajc.com/entertainment/celebrity-news/former-atlanta-hawks-security-manager-sues-alleging-racist-practices/MwQrriRWLzLvz6b99c369N/

A former security manager for the Atlanta Hawks has filed suit against his former employer and the team’s vice president of customer service and security, alleging that “security measures were enforced, or not enforced, based on race.”

“On Aug. 26, 2016, Drake and Future (both of whom are black) performed at Philips Arena. Both Drake and Future asked to bypass metal detectors but their requests were denied,” plaintiff Samuel L. Hayes III said in the lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Atlanta. “One week later at the AC/DC concert at Philips Arena , Axel Rose and Brian Wilson (both of whom are white) requested to bypass metal detectors. Their requests were granted.”

The suit lists other examples of what Hayes said was a discriminatory practice of subjecting black entertainers to more thorough security measure than white entertainers. Kanye West wasn’t able to bypass the metal detectors ahead of his Sept. 12 2016 concert. Neither were Cedric The Entertainer, Eddie Griffin, and D.L. Hughley before their Sept. 30, 2016 show.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What is he actually suing for? I mean, what's it to him that other people are being screened and some are not? How is he harmed in this?

I'm not saying it is right to do those things but shouldn't the people actually affected by it be the ones suing if they felt that strongly about it?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

What is he actually suing for? I mean, what's it to him that other people are being screened and some are not? How is he harmed in this?

I'm not saying it is right to do those things but shouldn't the people actually affected by it be the ones suing if they felt that strongly about it?

If he was forced to administer "racist" procedure he definitely has a case.   Will the judge allow it to proceed? Who knows, but you can pretty much file a case as long as you pay the filing fee.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Sounds plausible.  Maybe they saw this coming, hence the hip hop barber shop.  When is this arena and organization gonna stop clowning?

This was my issue with Ferry and why he had to go.  Blood is in the water now.  People will come from left field to sue this organization hoping for a quick buck.  Ferry being here would just make it more so.

24 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Sounds plausible.  Maybe they saw this coming, hence the hip hop barber shop.  When is this arena and organization gonna stop clowning?

and I still don't understand WTF that barber shop got to do with Hawks fans. I can't see how they expect to make money. But the full statement you just made can of explains it lol shm

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Violence has been known to be around rap and hip hop culture, but how many shootings happen at AC/DC concerts?

More deadly incidents than you'd find at a Young MC concert, I'd venture. :-)

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/14/nyregion/fan-dies-after-fight-at-a-meadowlands-concert.html

http://newsok.com/article/2123964

http://q103albany.com/the-14-most-deadliest-concerts-ever/

And don't dare mess with the performers themselves... http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ac-dcs-phil-rudd-arrested-for-attempting-to-procure-a-murder-20141105

~lw3

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

The band has been around 40-50 years and you post a couple of articles of some small incidents? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The band has been around 40-50 years and you post a couple of articles of some small incidents? 

Suffice to say, they've had quite a head start! I can only hope that my threats to kill somebody (and subsequent arrest) are someday deemed "small." Bottom line, yeah, AC/DC goes through the detectors. "But, Smokey Robinson and Barry Manilow, you good."

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

If this was going on, hopefully this will shake people up and correct the practice so it is consistent.  Can't imagine there is a big payday at the end of the rainbow but very possible the Hawks make this go away with a nuisance settlement early on.

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken he was fired after bringing the issue up to his white boss, and that is where the lawsuit comes from. 

He saw something he thought was wrong, addressed it to his superior and later was let go and he thinks that is the reason why, because he blew the whistle as opposed to playing along.

Im looking for sources but I'm going off the radio blurb I heard while driving earlier

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

He's being a whistle blower.  If you don't know that you're being discriminated against, you will never file.  He has had to carry out discriminatory policies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Violence has been known to be around rap and hip hop culture, but how many shootings happen at AC/DC concerts?

Drake, Kanye, Cedric the Entertainer, etc... don't promote violence in their music or comedy. They aren't associated with any violent acts or lawsuits. There is nothing about them that would make them appear more threatening than AC/DC other than ......? 

Im not saying they should not be checked or whatever but either check everyone or don't have the policy to begin with. 

If I was security and saw the double standard firsthand I'd be pissed too.