• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Former Atlanta Hawks security manager sues, alleging racist practices

HawkItus

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If I'm not mistaken he was fired after bringing the issue up to his white boss, and that is where the lawsuit comes from. 

He saw something he thought was wrong, addressed it to his superior and later was let go and he thinks that is the reason why, because he blew the whistle as opposed to playing along.

Im looking for sources but I'm going off the radio blurb I heard while driving earlier

A retaliation claim would make a lot of sense.  The allegations in an EEOC charge or lawsuit like this are typically not substantiated but we'll have to wait and see how the facts develop as they sometimes are.  If the claim is retaliation, then the writer of the article missed the punchline.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

A retaliation claim would make a lot of sense.  The allegations in an EEOC charge or lawsuit like this are typically not substantiated but we'll have to wait and see how the facts develop as they sometimes are.  If the claim is retaliation, then the writer of the article missed the punchline.

I just heard the report again on 107.9 and the radio announcer specifically said the man is suing claiming that he was wrongfully terminated after he brought up the issue to the Security Director. True or not, that's what's being reported over the air.

Edited by RedDawg#8

• Premium Member

If this is a legit claim then the Hawks are just plain dumb (at best, or truly racist at worst) for continuing to make this keep coming up.    Just treat everyone the same.  Golden rule people!

Edited by Jdawgflow
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

I just heard the report again on 107.9 and the radio announcer specifically said the man is suing claiming that he was wrongfully terminated. True or not, that's what's being reported over the air.

Wrongful termination might be based on race, retaliation, both or other grounds entirely.  Probably both race and retaliation based on the little information in the article.

I understand there's racism everywhere but being one who's not in the Atlanta area and someone on the outside who's been looking forward to moving to the Atlanta area, you always hear our people (black folks) talking how great it is to be in Atlanta and all the black peoples there making a good living specifically  in the Atlanta area

....but then reading yet another issue with racism or thought to be racism with the Hawks organization it's a real head scratcher.

• Moderators
Just now, JTB said:

I understand there's racism everywhere but being one who's not in the Atlanta area and someone on the outside who's been looking forward to moving to the Atlanta area, you always hear our people (black folks) talking how great it is to be in Atlanta and all the black peoples there making a good living specifically  in the Atlanta area

....but then reading yet another issue with racism or thought to be racism with the Hawks organization it's a real head scratcher.

I wouldn't get too put off.  Hopefully you'll find Atlanta to be great as many have before you.  I think part of the PR issue is that there are so many more minorities in the south that the issues tend to bubble up while in the north the demographics are so much less diverse in many areas that racism never hits the radar.  Then the south gets painted as all racist when the attitude there may be much more progressive and inclusive on the whole.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Violence has been known to be around rap and hip hop culture, but how many shootings happen at AC/DC concerts?

Someone sounds like a Stormfront poster. 

It's highly unlikely someone will get shot at a Drake or Future concert. Maybe a local rapper where security isn't good but at concerts like Drake, nope. You earned yourself an Alt-Wrong sticker. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JTB said:

No one talks about Atlanta being great for Blacks when the topic isn't fun or sex. When it's about jobs and career advancement, Blacks sing a completely different tune. The biggest advantage Atlanta has is having a middle class Black community. That's non-existent in most of America as we are still in a system of white supremacy, regardless of if we are in Atlanta or London. 

That's a global problem. Where being Black is criminalized, underserved and never paid for slavery/Jim Crow/reconstruction/Segregation/James R. Crow Esq. or colonialism for most Blacks globally. You are going to speak on Blacks, be honest. I rather you said nothing at all then to misspeak on DoS. 

29 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Someone sounds like a Stormfront poster. 

It's highly unlikely someone will get shot at a Drake or Future concert. Maybe a local rapper where security isn't good but at concerts like Drake, nope. You earned yourself an Alt-Wrong sticker. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nypds-bill-bratton-blames-thugs-ti-concert-shooting/story?id=39385319

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If I'm not mistaken he was fired after bringing the issue up to his white boss, and that is where the lawsuit comes from. 

He saw something he thought was wrong, addressed it to his superior and later was let go and he thinks that is the reason why, because he blew the whistle as opposed to playing along.

Im looking for sources but I'm going off the radio blurb I heard while driving earlier

See, that's what I was thinking.  I didn't know the back story, but that's the only way a lawsuit like this would have any merit.  If he brought it up, got shot down, and lost his job for it, then he definitely has a case.

And for what?  A 20 second per person wand and pat down?

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I just heard the report again on 107.9 and the radio announcer specifically said the man is suing claiming that he was wrongfully terminated after he brought up the issue to the Security Director. True or not, that's what's being reported over the air.

The original post didn't include any reference to the wrongful termination claim.   It probably will come down to a "he said vs. he said" debate.

15 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

See, that's what I was thinking.  I didn't know the back story, but that's the only way a lawsuit like this would have any merit.  If he brought it up, got shot down, and lost his job for it, then he definitely has a case.

And for what?  A 20 second per person wand and pat down?

It does sound like a shitty reason to fire someone.

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Different rap demographic.  And that's why others are saying that no one is going to shoot up a Drake or Kanye concert.  Those guys aren't rapping about guns, violence, and/or street life.   Sometimes, the rappers who talk about those things, attract fans that come from those backgrounds.  Then things pop off . . . like it did in Little Rock, AK last weekend.

( FYI on rap nightclub shootings:  I have a theory on how some of those guys get guns even into high security nightclubs that pat everyone down.  

3 ways:

- breaking down small guns and putting it, and the clip, inside their sneakers.

- women, who may be checked far less thoroughly by male security, sneaking a gun into the club for their male acquaintance

- guy in a wheelchair, who may be checked less thoroughly, bringing in the gun )

But when you talk about well known Black comedians, like Cedric the Entertainer and D.L. Hughley being patted down, and whose audience is going to be 40 yrs old and over, now it's on a different level.

This is the reason why the TSA pats down old women and kids at airports, even if they aren't real threats.  If you have a rule, you don't deviate from it for anybody.  If you treat everyone the same, people may complain . . but you can always refer them to the policy.  When you deviate from policy, you open yourself up for trouble.

You know a lot of people aren't going to understand stand that. Especially people that are fairly old and white.

I'm not a rap fan, but I know enough to understand that rap isn't hardcore like 25 years ago.  I'm not even saying that what possibly happened with this situation is right, but its not surprising.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

No one talks about Atlanta being great for Blacks when the topic isn't fun or sex. When it's about jobs and career advancement, Blacks sing a completely different tune. The biggest advantage Atlanta has is having a middle class Black community. That's non-existent in most of America as we are still in a system of white supremacy, regardless of if we are in Atlanta or London. 

That's a global problem. Where being Black is criminalized, underserved and never paid for slavery/Jim Crow/reconstruction/Segregation/James R. Crow Esq. or colonialism for most Blacks globally. You are going to speak on Blacks, be honest. I rather you said nothing at all then to misspeak on DoS. 

1 star post ...I don't know what blacks you speak to but Atlanta is definitely one of the top cities in America black Americans are actually able to succeed and make a very good living. I know plenty. In fact I know some that have went to Atlanta and were able to start up their own businesses and succeed doing it.

you took my post completely wrong .... I don't need to be schooled on black history...I'm fully aware of what's going on in the world.

atlanta may not be top notch but at least it's better than 95% of where you could be in America for our people.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I wouldn't get too put off.  Hopefully you'll find Atlanta to be great as many have before you.  I think part of the PR issue is that there are so many more minorities in the south that the issues tend to bubble up while in the north the demographics are so much less diverse in many areas that racism never hits the radar.  Then the south gets painted as all racist when the attitude there may be much more progressive and inclusive on the whole.

Trust me I'm not down about anything....I still believe Atlanta is one of the best cities black Americans can be in to try to succeed. I simply think  it's interesting that racism seems to circle around the Hawks organization than other NBA teams.

I mean the clippers had the owner issue, followed by the ferry issue in Atlanta and now Atlanta is publicly in another possible  racism issue....yes that is quite amazing considering Atlanta is likely the most or top 5 at the least blackest city in the NBA....I would have thought a racism issue would happen somewhere else before Atlanta considering the fact that when you are in the area of Atlanta you automatically KNOW there's a higher amount of black individuals in the area, therefore you'd think racist individuals probably would stay away from the area and rather not engage with any of us.

but hey you don't have to school me! I know racism is everywhere. Guess a part of me is just hoping Atlanta is different being that it's much more diverse than the avg big city.

26 minutes ago, JTB said:

1 star post ...I don't know what blacks you speak to but Atlanta is definitely one of the top cities in America black Americans are actually able to succeed and make a very good living. I know plenty. In fact I know some that have went to Atlanta and were able to start up their own businesses and succeed doing it.

you took my post completely wrong .... I don't need to be schooled on black history...I'm fully aware of what's going on in the world.

atlanta may not be top notch but at least it's better than 95% of where you could be in America for our people.

Are you Black?  If you aren't, you have no right to speak on what Blacks think of a city. I don't speak for your race, whatever race that is, don't speak for mines especially if you have zero understanding of context.