• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2017 Dynasty Draft - Pick Selection and Discussion Thread

AHF

• Moderators

Here are the rules:

1.  Draft Format: This is a fourteen round snake draft, so Draft order goes 1,2,3,4,...14, 15, 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11,...3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3,..

2. Eligibility: You can Draft anybody that is currently in the league or is or has been draft eligible. So players eligible for the 2017 draft can be drafted as can foreign players drafted in the past or draft eligible in the past who haven't played in the NBA. Players like incoming college freshmen are still not eligible for this draft because they have never been draft eligible and will not be eligible until next year's draft.  As a clarification, you can pick pretty much anyone to coach.

3. Making Your Picks/Discussion and Debate: When it's your turn to draft, you just post (in bold) the player's name and you should do a writeup on why you chose that player. If you don't have time for a writeup, you can just make your selection to keep Draft moving and then post writeup later when you have time. Your writeup should explain why the player rules and how well they fit with your squad and why your team is now going to dominate the '10s. You should always pm the next person in the list after you pick.
Example:
AHF Team Pick: Shaquille O’Neal
I am taking Shaq to bolster my rebounding and interior defense. While he is getting older, he will be playing limited minutes on my roster behind Dwight Howard [note: already picked by me so can be discussed] and will still be able to dominate smaller guys playing center like Al Horford [note: already selected so can be named] in the paint. Health is a concern but in round 11 there isn’t a lot of depth on the interior so this pick makes all the sense in the world.  Next person on the list has been PM'd

Discussion of picks is encouraged but do not discuss undrafted players to avoid influencing future picks. So, for example, if Wilt is picked #1 then it is a breach of draft etiquette to start discussion other available centers or how MJ is still available, etc. If you are explaining why you picked Wilt, you need to just generally address other available players or use the word "Player" as a substitute for someone specific.

Example: AHF Team Selects:  Dominique Wilkins. I took Nique because he was so dominant in the playoffs, and I don't think that Player would hold up as well as him when guarded by other elite picks. Next person on the list has been PM'd.  (Note:  Nique would not be a good choice at all as explained below).

We will keep a separate thread with a summary of all picks for easy reference.

4. Time Frame/Finances: You get the player as they are and their projected potential/output for their projected career from here on out. So if you Draft Elton Brand, you are getting the 2017-18 Elton Brand who has a very limited number of years left. If you Draft someone from this years draft you might get a young player who may project to play for 10+ years at a high level. Assume for purposes of this draft that all players get paid 1/13th of your salary cap every year so that you don’t need to bypass Michael Conley for Emmanual Mudiay just because Conley is expensive and you already have several high salaries.  This applies equally to coaches.  

5. Roster: Each team gets 13 players and 1 coach, no restrictions on positions...draft 13 centers if you want; only 1 coach and that coach must be currently employed as a coach in the league (head, assistant or otherwise).

6. Evaluation Criteria: Draft as if you are starting a new franchise, so consider how your team will play into the future, not just year one. That said, you can choose to weight immediate success or long-term success as you wish.

7. Trades: Teams are free to trade players, coaches or picks but the total number of incoming and outgoing roster spots must be the same. I.e., you can trade your first round pick and fifth round pick for someone’s second and third round picks but can’t trade your first round pick for a second round pick and a tenth round pick. Trades are subject to review but will only be overturned where both a number of posters and the commish (AHF) feel the trade is so unfair that it could ruin balance. Basically, we want to avoid stacking one team up with lopsided trades but trades for fit or due to different projections of talent are fine.

8. Time Limits: We'll start off with an 8 hour time limit for each pick (see note on nighttime shutdown). So when the person before you picks, you have 8 hours from then to make your selection or you are skipped. If you are skipped, the next person's clock starts and they have 8 hours. You may make up skipped picks at any time. Just post who you want when you get back to the thread. We may decrease time limit if the draft drags to a crawl and people aren’t expected to take that long if they are available. Draft moving smoothly, but we'll decide that as a group.
One Caveat: The clock does not run from 10pm-7am EST. So if team 5 makes a selection at 9pm then team 6 has until 2pm the next day (1 hour until 10pm then 7 hours after 7am.)

Second Caveat:  If you miss your pick and make everyone wait 8 hours, if you haven't made that next pick you will only have 2 hours for your next pick.  Once you are current on your picks, you will get a full 8 hours again.

9. PM The Next Pick: You should PM the person after you when you make your pick so they know it's their turn. However, everyone should also follow along with the thread and know when they are up soon. Please make sure you have set your preferences to receive emails when you are PM’d.

10. Anticipated Absences – Advance Picks: If your pick is coming up soon and you'll be away, just ask in thread who will take your pm and be around to post it when it's your turn. I like to pm someone picking after me, and ideally someone that I have 2 picks before they go again so I can pm them 2 choices in case my top choice gets selected.

Pick # Team Player Selected
1 PSSSHHHRRR87 (for jy23) Andre Drummond
2 pimp Kevin Durant
3 Buzzard Karl-Anthony Towns
4 lethalweapon3 Stephen Curry
5 LucastheThird LeBron James
6 Diesel Russell Westbrook
7 capstone21 Giannis Antetokounmpo
8 AHF Kawhi Leonard
9 HopefulHawksFan Jimmy Butler
10 HopefulHawksFan Kyrie Irving
11 AHF James Harden
12 capstone21 Anthony Davis
13 Diesel Paul George
14 LucastheThird John Wall
15 lethalweapon3 Nikola Jokic
16 Buzzard Gordon Hayward
17 pimp DeMarcus Cousins
18 PSSSHHHRRR87 (for jy23) Carmelo Anthony
19 PSSSHHHRRR87 (for jy23) DeMar DeRozan
20 pimp Damian Lillard
21 Buzzard Klay Thompson
22 lethalweapon3 Draymond Green
23 LucastheThird Paul Millsap
24 Diesel Kristaps Porzingis
25 capstone21 Devin Booker
26 AHF Joel Embiid
27 HopefulHawksFan Kevin Love
28 HopefulHawksFan Steven Adams
29 AHF Chris Paul
30 capstone21 Rudy Gobert
31 Diesel DeAndre Jordan
32 LucastheThird Bradley Beal
33 lethalweapon3 Khris Middleton
34 Buzzard Kemba Walker
35 pimp Isaiah Thomas
36 PSSSHHHRRR87 Mike Conley
37 PSSSHHHRRR87 LaMarcus Aldridge
38 pimp C.J. McCollum
39 Buzzard Hassan Whiteside
40 lethalweapon3 Ben Simmons
41 LucastheThird Al Horford
42 Diesel Lou Williams
43 capstone21 Kyle Lowry
44 AHF Blake Griffin
45 HopefulHawksFan Otto Porter
46 HopefulHawksFan Marc Gasol
47 AHF Myles Turner
48 capstone21 Nicolas Batum
49 Diesel Eric Bledsoe
50 LucastheThird Dwight Howard
51 lethalweapon3 Lonzo Ball
52 Buzzard Serge Ibaka
53 pimp Andrew Wiggins
54 PSSSHHHRRR87 George Hill
55 PSSSHHHRRR87 Tobias Harris
56 pimp Nerlens Noel
57 Buzzard Dennis Schröder
58 lethalweapon3 Dario Saric
59 LucastheThird Jabari Parker
60 Diesel Julius Randle
61 capstone21 Jrue Holiday
62 AHF Markelle Fultz
63 HopefulHawksFan John Collins
64 HopefulHawksFan Goran Dragic
65 AHF Clint Capela
66 capstone21 Marquese Chriss
67 Diesel Jeff Teague
68 LucastheThird Eric Gordon
69 lethalweapon3 Nikola Vucevic
70 Buzzard Harrison Barnes
71 pimp Jusuf Nurkic
72 PSSSHHHRRR87 Victor Oladipo
73 PSSSHHHRRR87 Aaron Gordon
74 pimp Gorgui Dieng
75 Buzzard Avery Bradley
76 lethalweapon3 Gary Harris
77 LucastheThird Danilo Gallinari
78 Diesel Brook Lopez
79 capstone21 Jae Crowder
80 AHF COACH Gregg Popovich
81 HopefulHawksFan Kyle Korver
82 HopefulHawksFan COACH Erik Spoelstra
83 AHF Josh Jackson
84 capstone21 COACH Brad Stevens
85 Diesel COACH Rick Carlisle
86 LucastheThird Patrick Beverley
87 lethalweapon3 COACH Jason Kidd
88 Buzzard J.J. Redick
89 pimp Zach LaVine
90 PSSSHHHRRR87 Malcolm Brogdon
91 PSSSHHHRRR87 COACH Dave Joerger
92 pimp Dennis Smith, Jr.
93 Buzzard Derrick Favors
94 lethalweapon3 Bogdan Bogdanovic
95 LucastheThird COACH Mike Budenholzer
96 Diesel Brandon Ingram
97 capstone21 Tristan Thompson
98 AHF Jayson Tatum
99 HopefulHawksFan Taurean Prince
100 HopefulHawksFan Tyler Ulis
101 AHF Ricky Rubio
102 capstone21 D'Angelo Russell
103 Diesel Seth Curry
104 LucastheThird Dewayne Dedmon
105 lethalweapon3 Robert Covington
106 Buzzard Reggie Jackson
107 pimp Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
108 PSSSHHHRRR87 Robin Lopez
109 PSSSHHHRRR87 Wesley Matthews
110 pimp COACH Steve Kerr
111 Buzzard Jonathan Isaac
112 lethalweapon3 Markieff Morris
113 LucastheThird Thaddeus Young
114 Diesel JaMychal Green
115 capstone21 Dirk Nowitzki
116 AHF Tim Hardaway, Jr.
117 HopefulHawksFan Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
118 HopefulHawksFan Pau Gasol
119 AHF Greg Monroe
120 capstone21 Jamal Murray
121 Diesel Jeremy Lin
122 LucastheThird Buddy Hield
123 lethalweapon3 Cody Zeller
124 Buzzard COACH Stan Van Gundy
125 pimp Jaylen Brown
126 PSSSHHHRRR87 Alan Williams

• AHF pinned this topic

With the 2nd pick in the 2017 Hawksquawk draft.  The ATL Air Force selects.
Kevin Durant
Warriors_2017_NBA_Champions_Kevin_Durant 
25.1 pts - 8.3 rebs 4.8 asts

Most people would likely take a younger player at this spot, but I think Kevin has at least 7 more years as a #1 option.
Durant gives my team a chance to compete for a championship now , and in the future.
He gives my team an elite go to guy, that showed in the NBA Finals that he is one of the best players of his generation.
He had one of the greatest NBA  Finals ever - 35.2 PPG - 8.0 RPG - 5.4 APG MVP
We hope he can take our team to the Finals , and finally bring a championship home to Atlanta.
 @Buzzard

Edited by pimp
  • Like 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Heads-up to @pimp that if @jy23 doesn't pick by 8:16 AM Eastern tomorrow morning, you will get to go ahead with your selection! If the pimpster chimes in beforehand, of course, you'll be good to go, too!

~lw3

I told jy23 both in the other thread and in pm that his time on the clock would start this morning so I've hidden @pimp's post.

@jy23 is halfway through his time.  @pimp is good to go as of 3 pm EST.  Hopefully before then!

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

What am I missing here? I am told I am up but I see no picks have been made.

Sorry, Buzz, I jumped the gun! We have to wait until probably after 3 PM, when jy23's time expires and pimp's pick either takes hold (AHF hid it pending jy23's time) or he selects somebody else (if jy takes his player). Either way, stay tuned!

~lw3

• Like 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

There was a misunderstanding and it was thought JY23's time had elapsed which was not the case ... pimp made his pick and messeaged you ... JY23 still has until 3 to make a pick ... after that if pimps pick is not taken then you are then able to pick

• Like 1

Just now, lethalweapon3 said:

Sorry, Buzz, I jumped the gun! We have to wait until probably after 3 PM, when jy23's time expires and pimp's pick either takes hold (AHF hid it pending jy23's time) or he selects somebody else (if jy takes his player). Either way, stay tuned!

~lw3

I could not find any picks having been made and thought I was going nuts lol.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Confusion with @jy23who is on the clock for another hour.  At 3 pm EST his time will have run and @pimphas his pick in that I can unhide and then let you pick at that point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Alrighty, now that @jy23's time expiration is official-official, I think it's safe for @pimp's pick to be revealed, and then for @Buzzard to be green-lighted. But let's hold out until @AHF makes it clear we can proceed.

~lw3

I am ready when ever. At work right now so it is hit and miss as to when; but I can get my pick in sometime today so long as it is my turn :biggrin:

Edited by Buzzard

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I am ready when ever. At work right now so it is hit and miss as to when; but I can get my pick in sometime today so long as it is my turn :biggrin:

I made my pick  this morning so, i guess i'm waiting for AHF to bring my post back , because i have no idea what i wrote 
at 8:30 , 

Edited by pimp
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, pimp said:

I made my pick  this morning so, i guess i'm waiting for AHF to bring my post back , because i have no idea what i wrote 

It is definitely your turn and since you are claiming my man Durant, I will shock the world and get my pick in toot sweet!

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, pimp said:

No worries! To avoid a total Clustersquawk (i.e., so pimp and/or jy23 didn't jump in and pick the same guy as you), I recently leaked the name of your (excellent) pick from this morning to the pimpster. Hopefully, I didn't violate our well-established anti-Collusion rules!

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, pimp said:

With the 2nd pick in the 2017 Hawksquawk draft.  The ATL Air Force selects.
Kevin Durant
Warriors_2017_NBA_Champions_Kevin_Durant 
25.1 pts - 8.3 rebs 4.8 asts

Most people would likely take a younger player at this spot, but I think Kevin has at least 7 more years as a #1 option.
Durant gives my team a chance to compete for a championship now , and in the future.
He gives my team an elite go to guy, that showed in the NBA Finals that he is one of the best players of his generation.
He had one of the greatest NBA  Finals ever - 35.2 PPG - 8.0 RPG - 5.4 APG MVP
We hope he can take our team to the Finals , and finally bring a championship home to Atlanta.
 @Buzzard

Unhidden for the world to enjoy!  Fare thee well sweet KD.  You made a fantastic opening pick for my roster last year.

• Like 4

With the 3rd pick in the Squawk Dynasty Draft, the Flocking Buzzards select Karl -“The Man” - Anthony Towns.

This young center from the University of Kentucky really upped his game in his 2nd season. His scoring average jumped almost 7 points a game putting him in the 12th spot and tied with the all world small forward just taken ahead of him. He also improved his range with these stats bearing this out:  increased 3pt attempts per game, increased 3pt %, and increased ft attempts per game, and increased ft%.

Every offensive category improved. Karl’s rebounding also put him squarely in the top 10 in the league as one of only 6 players to average 12 or more rebounds per game.

We do not see a weakness in this young man’s game and at just 21 years old; we expect him to be a pillar we can base our franchise on for the next decade. Welcome to the Flock Young Mr. Towns

@lethalweapon3is up!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3