• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sixers have another top draftee available

JTB

Alright so sixers are trying to get rid of another top draft pick. This time it’s Jahlil Okafor .....I already know how some of you feel about him. I know he’s a horrible defender but last I checked he was still a good inside scorer around the goal and he’s cheap and he’s young and there’s a good chance he can improve under better coaching like bud.

While I don’t believe he should be a starter in the future or is a long term answer, I do like the possibility of him being one of our main rotation Bigs in the future off the bench.

So yeah I’d trade for him to be a regular rotation  big coming off our bench for the future.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

I like the thought of Okafor as a starter provided he can stay healthy and improve his defense. He has reportedly lost weight and is in the best condition of his young career. Okafor is going to score, no doubt about that but good fundamental defense is something he has sorely lacked.

The Sixers will be moving him sooner or later and there are a few teams reportedly interested in him. I do hope we have some interest as well.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. We have a team of jump shooters and that is why we can't keep a lead. We need someone with a legitimate post up game that we can feed when the shots are not falling. What do we have to loose? If it doesn't work out we can cut bait with him. I can't believe that we can't use him. Hell we are paying Baze 4 times as much as Okafor would make.

• Like 1

Problem is finding a trade for Okafor that works. I can't imagine his value is very high but we have to match salaries and also not give any salary back.

Basically means a deal centered around Bellinelli or Delaney plus a couple seconds for Okafor. If that's good enough, I would LOVE to have Okafor here. I might even toss the Houston pick in instead of the 2nds.

Edit: I'm a little fuzzy (pun intended) on our cap situation post-Jefferson. If we have enough space to do Delaney+Houston 1 for Okafor that's probably as good as they're gonna get.

Edit 2: The other problem with an Okafor deal is we'll be loaded with centers, 3 of which probably can't be moved (Ersan/Moose because of no trade clause, Plumlee cuz of contract)

Edited by TheFuzz

4 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

I was thinking the same thing. We have a team of jump shooters and that is why we can't keep a lead. We need someone with a legitimate post up game that we can feed when the shots are not falling. What do we have to loose? If it doesn't work out we can cut bait with him. I can't believe that we can't use him. Hell we are paying Baze 4 times as much as Okafor would make.

Him and Collins on the floor at the same time would not be great spacing; but Memphis made Zbo and Gasol work pretty well for a long time.

It is worth a shot, provided the price is not to high.

Wait.  I thought when you picked in the top 3, you got a guaranteed superstar all the time.  Is Jahlil not a superstar, elite level player?  I mean, he was drafted with the 3rd overall pick in that draft.   Surely he's a superstar that is leading his team to the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Problem is finding a trade for Okafor that works. I can't imagine his value is very high but we have to match salaries and also not give any salary back.

Basically means a deal centered around Bellinelli or Delaney plus a couple seconds for Okafor. If that's good enough, I would LOVE to have Okafor here. I might even toss the Houston pick in instead of the 2nds.

Edit: I'm a little fuzzy (pun intended) on our cap situation post-Jefferson. If we have enough space to do Delaney+Houston 1 for Okafor that's probably as good as they're gonna get.

We only have about 650,000 in cap to play with. Okafor is making 4.99 million. It would have to be a trade of Dedmon, Muscala, Belinelli, or Ersan to get one salary to be close enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

We only have about 650,000 in cap to play with. Okafor is making 4.99 million. It would have to be a trade of Dedmon, Muscala, Belinelli, or Ersan to get one salary to be close enough.

Thank you. I think they want to deal him by the 31st option deadline, so to get a deal done by then it has to be through Bellinelli.

Edited by TheFuzz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Thank you. I think they want to deal him by the 31st option deadline, so to get a deal done by then it has to be through Bellinelli.

Sixers are under the cap so they can take a lot in; but we have to take within 25% or less of the salary back. Either of those four will work for cap purposes.

Edited by Buzzard

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Sixers are under the cap so they can take a lot in; but we have to take within 25% or less of the salary back. Either of those four will work for our purposes.

Only if they're willing to wait till December when the trade restrictions lift on Dedmon/Ersan/Moose, and Ersan/Moose would have to accept a trade to Philly (unlikely I think). I think the Sixers want to hold onto as much cap as possible so that's why they want only expirings.

• Like 1

All of this is very interesting....you know Schlenk did mention that the warriors traded monte for bogut because they felt if healthy bogut would become a huge part of their team moving forward.

In other words they went after a talent they thought could be apart of something long term. If the contract situation with curry didn’t work out so well (he was only getting paid 11m at that time before he signed his 200m offer this summer) and had they not had an actual shot at getting KD, Bogut would still be on that team...i just wonder what Schlenks thoughts are on a player like a Okafor who was recently drafted in the top 3 just 2 or 3 years ago.

schlenk said that if there’s a player available that they liked they will pull the trigger. Well I’m not so sure a better player on cheap contract like this is going to be available via trade who’s this young and has some pretty good upside.

I wish they’d make this move. We’d still be in tank mode. Okafor would just be an additional piece we could have long term to go with the rest of these young players.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 9:39 PM, JTB said:

All of this is very interesting....you know Schlenk did mention that the warriors traded monte for bogut because they felt if healthy bogut would become a huge part of their team moving forward.

In other words they went after a talent they thought could be apart of something long term. If the contract situation with curry didn’t work out so well (he was only getting paid 11m at that time before he signed his 200m offer this summer) and had they not had an actual shot at getting KD, Bogut would still be on that team...i just wonder what Schlenks thoughts are on a player like a Okafor who was recently drafted in the top 3 just 2 or 3 years ago.

schlenk said that if there’s a player available that they liked they will pull the trigger. Well I’m not so sure a better player on cheap contract like this is going to be available via trade who’s this young and has some pretty good upside.

I wish they’d make this move. We’d still be in tank mode. Okafor would just be an additional piece we could have long term to go with the rest of these young players.

I'm all aboard the Okafor band-wagon honestly. He needs to learn to defend, might never happen, but the dude has serious touch, agility, footwork ... he's got flaws in his game but if he can learn to draw a foul or two he'd be legit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

I'm all aboard the Okafor band-wagon honestly. He needs to learn to defend, might never happen, but the dude has serious touch, agility, footwork ... he's got flaws in his game but if he can learn to draw a foul or two he'd be legit.

Unfortunately don’t seem like we are going to even attempt to go after him smh

This kid averaged 17 and 7 with 1.5 blocks out of the gates as a rookie. 

For comparison, thats basically what Al and Paul used to give us as VETS

I don't see the negative in acquiring him. Had the 76ers not had Embiid, Okafor would still be a starter.

He is young enough that Bud can continue to develop his game on defense.

He is young enough that he fits the rebuild mold. Plus who do we realistically think we can acquire via draft in the next 2-3 years that will be as polished a post scorer as he is? 

A move like this would be like a lottery pick for a Xmas gift, and the good thing is that it isn't too good that it ruins our tanking season.

Its truthfully a no lose. We should be all about jumping at opportunities to acquiring talent especially when we can buy low like this