• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Crunch time benching of Dennis Schröder

StephenHawking

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I had a feeling at the beginning of the season that this was coming.  Joe Johnson was the recioient.  Then Marvin.  Then Smoove. Then Teague.  Then Horford. And Dwight was an easy target.  

And now, Dennis is the target.  Even with 90% of the fan base wanting the Hawks to lose 60 - 65 games, he's the target.

It took us literally 13 years to find a PG close to the level of Mookie Blaylock, once Jeff Teague matured enough to be a top 15 PG.  Run Dennis off, and it may be another 10 - 15 years before we find a good PG.

Dennis is not the PG that we should build around.  It's sorta like Big Dog Glenn Robinson.  He would get you stats but he didn't do one thing to help the team or play in the team's framework.  Notice, I said Big Dog and not J. R. Rider.  J.R. Rider did the same thing but to a much worse extent.   I think Dennis is a good scorer but he's not a guy that was worth waiting for or worth cutting the amount of players we will have to cut to keep him happy. 

1 minute ago, ISOJOE said:

Is it possible to hide the posts of a certain user?

Nearly every time I want to read some hawks stuff on Hawksquawk I see those @Diesel posts and leave the website immediately. As nobody feels responsible for the bs he is constantly throwing at us (hello mods) I would appreciate an other solution (ignoring option for example). thanks.

You can click the ignore button. But isn't the point of message boards to engage in discussion?  Not everyone is going to agree on things.  I definitely disagree with Diesel about Dennis.  But I'll never ignore him, or anyone else, just because he has an opinion.

But yeah, you can ignore posters on here.  Put your arrow over the username you want to ignore, then click on Ignore User.

• Like 1

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises sagte:

You can click the ignore button. But isn't the point of message boards to engage in discussion?  Not everyone is going to agree on things.  I definitely disagree with Diesel about Dennis.  But I'll never ignore him, or anyone else, just because he has an opinion.

But yeah, you can ignore posters on here.  Put your arrow over the username you want to ignore, then click on Ignore User.

ah ok, thanks. I don't know all Diesel's opinions but every time I see one of his posts I just ask myself questions like:

What is this?

Whose man is this?

What's wrong with him?

EVERY SINGLE POST

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Dennis is not the PG that we should build around.  It's sorta like Big Dog Glenn Robinson.  He would get you stats but he didn't do one thing to help the team or play in the team's framework.  Notice, I said Big Dog and not J. R. Rider.  J.R. Rider did the same thing but to a much worse extent.   I think Dennis is a good scorer but he's not a guy that was worth waiting for or worth cutting the amount of players we will have to cut to keep him happy. 

Good PGs don't grow on trees.  And with the trend these days seeing PGs scoring at a high clip, you better have a guy who can at least offset some of that production from the other side, with scoring of their own.  When Dennis had Collins and Dedmon in the lineup, he routinely found those guys on the pick and roll.  Dedmon with midrange jumpers.  Collins with layups and alley-oops at the rim.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DBac said:

We weren't tanking when Bud benched him vs Golden State last year. Bud wants to show him that

a) He's not irreplaceable

and/or b) The team is at its best when he's out there giving 100% effort.

But I didn't watch last night's game so idk.

Ask and you shall receive.

• Like 1

See im not a Dennis hater at all. In fact Dennis is the reason I started following the NBA. The problem I have, why I loved Bud's decision,  is that he has so much more potential. If he wanted to he could be a top 10 pg EASILY in this league. Atm he simply doesn't care and that's what I don't understand. You should always look to improve your game and he's only thinking about offense at the moment. 

Edited by StephenHawking

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

ah ok, thanks. I don't know all Diesel's opinions but every time I see one of his posts I just ask myself questions like:

What is this?

Whose man is this?

What's wrong with him?

EVERY SINGLE POST

So you know, we don't allow commentary on the merits of a poster.  You can PM a mod if you think there is a problem but we aren't going to get into pissing contests about who is a real fan or who knows the game, etc.  

Feel free to respond to the substance of his posts or ignore him but don't start posting negative opinions on other posters.  Nothing good comes of it.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

Is it possible to hide the posts of a certain user?

Nearly every time I want to read some hawks stuff on Hawksquawk I see those @Diesel posts and leave the website immediately. As nobody feels responsible for the bs he is constantly throwing at us (hello mods) I would appreciate an other solution (ignoring option for example). thanks.

There's an ignore user option. The only person to ever grace mine is KB21. He and Diesel have been working overtime to try and make this season as painful as possible for people who post here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The coach himself has bad habits, with some of those lineups he throws out on the floor at times.  The team is a reflection of the coach.

The coach himself is the only reason this team has been competitive in 20 of their 26 games.  He consistently gets the team to play above its talent level.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DBac said:

We weren't tanking when Bud benched him vs Golden State last year. Bud wants to show him that

a) He's not irreplaceable

and/or b) The team is at its best when he's out there giving 100% effort.

But I didn't watch last night's game so idk.

https://streamable.com/e8sko

This is from Graham's article at PTH.  Bud is lighting into Dennis.

36 minutes ago, Sothron said:

There's an ignore user option. The only person to ever grace mine is KB21. He and Diesel have been working overtime to try and make this season as painful as possible for people who post here.

Travis Schlenk is the one who made this season painful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I’m a proud defensively-driven fan, Dennis is a shit defender, so I loved the benching.  Dennis usually responds very well to being pined as well.

Taylor already has the same defensive rating as Dennis at a fraction of the pay and experience.  That’s just unacceptable. With his effort and playing time it will be much better next season.

Coaches (good ones anyway)  value stops over points that you give right back due to unforced errors and poor effort on defense.  All of the little things we see add up to his paltry team stopping stats.  

An elite defensive PG should give you 5 boards, 2 steals, and half a block a game (7.5 stops).  This shows he’s aware of boxing out and preventing offensive boards, attacking the dribble and pass consistently, and closing out and defending as many shots as possible.  Dennis is at 4, Taylor projects considerably better at 2.2. I’m half the minutes.  Every stop is crucial and stops late in games is the foundation of what a Spurs-molded team should do.

Boy those Rondo comparisons could’nt have been more off.  In his prime Rondo was an All-Defender leading the league in assists.  The complete opposite of Dennis.

Rondo was also playing alongside 3 Hall of Famers.

So let me ask you, and everyone else a question.  Would the Hawks be a better team if Patrick Beverly was at the point? 

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

https://streamable.com/e8sko

This is from Graham's article at PTH.  Bud is lighting into Dennis.

Travis Schlenk is the one who made this season painful.

Evidently, whoever the assistant coach is that's sitting next to Schröder doesn't have children.  It undermines the coach's teaching, when the assistant pats him Schröder on the back and tells him it's ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Rondo was also playing alongside 3 Hall of Famers.

So let me ask you, and everyone else a question.  Would the Hawks be a better team if Patrick Beverly at the point? 

What does Patrick Beverly have to do with Schröder or Rondo?  Was Beverly a possible trade target for Dennis?

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Benhill likes defensive PGs.  And the discussion is about Dennis' defense. So if the Hawks had a PG like Beverly, would we be better off?

We'd be better off if Schröder would play defense and stop driving in against people 6 inches to a foot taller, with no available outlet, and thus throwing the ball away or taking a bad shot.

Edited by Watchman

vor 2 Minuten, TheNorthCydeRises sagte:

Benhill likes defensive PGs.  And the discussion is about Dennis' defense. So if the Hawks had a PG like Beverly, would we be better off?

That's not really the discussion, is it? It's more that Dennis has the intagibles to be a good to great perimeter defender but instead is awful because he gives no effort.

He could be a great scorer and a great defender. Not a great score and no defender or as PatBev a great defender and no scorer.

• Like 2

vor 3 Minuten, Watchman sagte:

We'd be better off if Schröder would play defense and stop driving in against people 6 inches to a foot taller.

Such misread plays you can find with just about every player in the league. I dont think that it's a concerning problem. There are other things he can improve in. In-game decisionmaking can sometimes go wrong.

Just now, StephenHawking said:

That's not really the discussion, is it? It's more that Dennis has the intagibles to be a good to great perimeter defender but instead is awful because he gives no effort.

He could be a great scorer and a great defender. Not a great score and no defender or as PatBev a great defender and no scorer.

In all seriousness, if he is too tired to be the focal point of the offense and play defense too, I would rather he play defense.  He is too fast to play so nonchalantly on defense.

• Like 2

Just now, Watchman sagte:

In all seriousness, if he is too tired to be the focal point of the offense and play defense too, I would rather he play defense.  He is too fast to play so nonchalantly on defense.

Thats a tough question actually. Should be another thread about it.

Without thinking much I'd say we can cover him better on defense than on offense but as I said it's tough.