• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Homecourt Draft Discussion

AHF

• Moderators

This one should make @KB21 happy!

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/14/nba-mock-draft-2018-march-madness-deandre-ayton-trae-young-luka-doncic

3. Atlanta Hawks 

HAWKS: JAREN JACKSON JR., C, MICHIGAN STATE | FR.

Height: 6'11" | Weight: 240 | Age: 18 | Last: 7

Stats: 11.3 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.8 blocks

The Hawks aren’t tied down to much of anything on their roster beyond John Collins, and are in search of a foundational player. Jackson Jr.’s ability to space the floor and protect the rim makes for an ideal fit, and would give them a great interior duo. He’s really helped himself over the course of the season, flashing a greater offensive skill level than expected and making a tangible defensive impact, able to guard in space and provide weak-side help. His 5.7 blocks per-40 minutes are a wild statistic. Jackson needs to mature physically and mentally and is probably a few years away from being able to anchor a winning team, but Atlanta has time to let him grow. He’s probably not leapfrogging Ayton or Doncic, but the No. 3 spot is within reach.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I don’t like either of the other two picks.  

I don't know Simons at all so that is a black hole for me.  Graham is not on my list either.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Trae Young Article:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/15/trae-young-oklahoma-nba-draft-march-madness-ncaa-tournament

Scout 1 - Nobody is worried about his skill level. You look around his team, and there’s not a lot of talent. He’s not going to be guarded that way in the NBA. If it is, that means he’s going to be scoring 30 points per game, and you’ll take that. What I would say is, the biggest concern to me is is this his body not holding up? Is this his bolding not holding up physically because he has a thin frame and if he can’t hold up over 35 games, how can he hold up over 82 games? But he’s still an elite talent and I don’t think that this downturn is going to change too much, at least for us.

Scout 2 - I’m a little concerned he’s developed bad habits. He’s not going to be able to shoot 30 times a game in the NBA because his veterans will kick his ass. He hasn’t been efficient. His shot selection has gotten so bad and he’s turnover prone. I don’t think it’s fair to any kid to compare him to Steph Curry. He’s a scary prospect for me, but he clearly has done some really big things.

Scout 3 - I was never high on him to begin with because of his physical limitations, lack of athleticism and how he doesn't defend. He's not someone I would take in the lottery. He's a good backup to me.

Scout 4 - He's still a dynamic and talented player, more than likely will still be a top 10 pick. I thought he was playing himself into the top five. Now I think he's more 8–9 range. I have him at nine on my board, behind Sexton. I think Trae is more of a point than Sexton, though. Collin is more of a scoring guard.

Scout 5 - Standing next to Steph and standing next to Trae, he’s significantly smaller, he’s more frail and he doesn’t have the same physical tools that Steph has as far as sheer size, not that Steph’s a huge guy. A worry I have about him is physically holding up. I think a part of that is definitely mental.

I think he’s incredibly talented, I think he has great hand-eye coordination, has a really quick trigger, really good range. I think his best skill is his passing and vision. That’s his best trait. He’s not a very good athlete, but he has excellent acceleration going end-to-end and 0–to–60. But he’s definitely been exposed a bit. He was pretty high on my board in January and now I feel like there would be more hesitation with drafting that guy. I don’t like his mental approach on the defensive end. The guy doesn’t provide effort on defense. Once in a blue moon he’ll try to lock up, but most of the time he’s not even trying. For some coaches, you’re not even going to sniff the floor if that’s your approach. He’s not my No. 1 point guard in the draft anymore, but he’s still in the top three.

• Like 2

• Moderators

ESPN Mock

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22726756/2018-nba-mock-draft-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic-trae-young-more

3. Atlanta Hawks

r331747_130x180_smallmug.jpg

Jaren Jackson Jr.
Michigan State
Freshman
PF/C

atl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Height: 6-11 | Weight: 240

The youngest prospect in the draft, Jackson may have the highest ceiling in terms of his ability to affect the game on both ends of the floor. He has enviable physical tools, including a 7-4 wingspan and tremendous mobility. Jackson's ability to space the floor (40 percent from 3, 80 percent from the line), block shots (5.7 per 40 minutes), switch on every screen and, increasingly, put the ball on the floor from the perimeter makes him an ideal fit for the modern NBA.

It's easy to see Jackson manning the center position for Atlanta or pairing with John Collins in an athletic frontcourt.

22. Atlanta Hawks (via Wolves)

r311372_400x600_2-3.jpg

Keita Bates-Diop
Ohio State
Junior
SF

Height: 6-7 | Weight: 235

With the second of their three first-round picks, the Hawks might look to add some depth at forward.

Bates-Diop has increased his stock dramatically with a breakout season. He has been moving among all of the frontcourt positions for overachieving Ohio State and looks like an ideal fit for the modern NBA if he can find a way to rev his motor into higher gear at the professional level.

30. Atlanta Hawks (via Rockets)

20233.jpg

Grayson Allen 
Duke
Senior
SG

Height: 6-4 | Weight: 185

With their third and final first-round pick, the Hawks may look to add some backcourt depth, specifically someone who can play behind or alongside incumbent starters Dennis Schröder and Kent Bazemore.

Allen is one of the best shooter/scorers in the college game, and made significant strides as a senior with his playmaking and defense.

33. Hawks

Jalen Brunson | SG | Junior | Villanova

Not sure they could be a less fun player to root for than Allen.

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Even though I think he will be a solid pickup that late in the draft, Grayson Allen comes from a long line of Duke players who you just want to punch in the face ... (Wojo is probably at the top of the list)

I'll take Grasyon at the end of the 1st round though.  When focused, the kid can shoot and he does play at the right pace for the NBA.  Between he and Dennis, teams better protect themselves.

• Like 1

• Admin
14 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'll take Grasyon at the end of the 1st round though.  When focused, the kid can shoot and he does play at the right pace for the NBA.  Between he and Dennis, teams better protect themselves.

I agree ... he is a solid pickup that late ... prob best option ... he is just an ahole

• Like 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Guard said:

Oklahoma would be much better if there were a couple of players worth a damn outside of Young. 

Clearly.  He chose a team that was talent deprived where he could dominate the ball.  If he went to Duke or Michigan State, Young would be winning a lot more but would be playing a very different game this year.  He did the equivalent of going to a college offense where he could throw the ball every play and put up huge number rather than put up lesser stats for a better team in an offense with a balance between passing and rushing.

• Like 1

• Admin

I think the players best comparable to Young IF he can reach his potential is Isiah Thomas or Lou Williams ... a sparkplug undersized chucker who is best suited for a 6th man type role.

I am really hoping we don't waste our draft pick on him.  If we have to take a 'point guard' then I would rather use it on Sexton.  However, I don't want either of them.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Clearly.  He chose a team that was talent deprived where he could dominate the ball.  If he went to Duke or Michigan State, Young would be winning a lot more but would be playing a very different game this year.  He did the equivalent of going to a college offense where he could throw the ball every play and put up huge number rather than put up lesser stats for a better team in an offense with a balance between passing and rushing.

So he's Andre Ware or Ty Detmer?