• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

5 minutes ago, noble said:

This. So much this. 

Yeah, considering that the Hawks were eliminated in the 1st round of the playoffs only once in the past 3 years and played in the EC Finals during that span of time.  But hey.  Let's blow it the f*** up and lose for the next 5 years.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Well no shit!  I mean, because it's so damn easy to get a Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Garnett in the draft.  That's why all these teams that draft in the lottery continue drafting in the lottery.

Nobody said finding those players was easy.  However, that should be the goal because you HAVE to get these picks right when you get them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBac said:

Lmao this is some nice spin.

Yeah either way this team went last year it was going to be the same result, no chance at a ring. Not saying we have one now, but at least there is a small chance at a superstar now. We had a zero percent chance before.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
8 hours ago, KB21 said:
Well no shit!  I mean, because it's so damn easy to get a Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Garnett in the draft.  That's why all these teams that draft in the lottery continue drafting in the lottery.

No one said it's easy. But its not impossible like you make it out to be.

Yeah, because the last time a player of that caliber was actually drafted high in the draft was 2007, so we are going on 11 years without that type of player being even available in the draft.  

8 hours ago, DBac said:

Lmao this is some nice spin.

How is it spin?  I mean, I know all of you love to lose games in the long term, so you are getting what you want.  It's going to be years before this team is even remotely competitive again, but hey, you are going to get your precious lottery picks out of this.

48 minutes ago, KB21 said:

How is it spin?  I mean, I know all of you love to lose games in the long term, so you are getting what you want.  It's going to be years before this team is even remotely competitive again, but hey, you are going to get your precious lottery picks out of this.

Competitive is subjective. We are losing, but being competitive while doing so. Now if you are talking about winning it all? When have we ever been competitive there?

Edited by noble
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, noble said:

Competitive is subjective. We are losing, but being competitive while doing so. Now if you are talking about winning it all? When have we ever been competitive there?

There's only one team that wins it all in a year.  So, what you are telling me is that there are 29 teams that should be tanking instead of trying to win?

• Like 1

As I have said before, and this really goes to credit with my other teams too, with one exception, that being Georgia this season, if my team is going to just get embarrassed in the playoffs I'd rather not be there at all or at that point. Seriously! When the Falcons embarrassed themselves last year, that was what I was thinking after a while: I'd rather have lost to Green Bay and not gone at all then this mess.

and no, my opinion would be the same tank or no tank.

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

As I have said before, and this really goes to credit with my other teams too, with one exception, that being Georgia this season, if my team is going to just get embarrassed in the playoffs I'd rather not be there at all or at that point. Seriously! When the Falcons embarrassed themselves last year, that was what I was thinking after a while: I'd rather have lost to Green Bay and not gone at all then this mess.

and no, my opinion would be the same tank or no tank.

You are the type that wouldn't ask someone out on a date due to fear of rejection.  That's basically what you are saying there.  

Thing people might not fully realize is that even good teams may end up being remembered more for the embarrassment than what made them good...

ask casual fans of the NBA what they remember about the 14/15 Atlanta Hawks and they likely won't respond with "oh how well that group played as a team/60 wins!/the win streak". They're more likely to reply with "Well, that was a 60 win team, but they were undressed so badly by a depleted Cleveland that it looked like it was a 35-40 win team".

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Yeah, because the last time a player of that caliber was actually drafted high in the draft was 2007, so we are going on 11 years without that type of player being even available in the draft.  

And that's simply not true.  There have been three players drafted since 2008 that have gone on to become league MVP and James Harden is about to make it four.  There has also been one player who has been a finals MVP (Kyrie Irving).  All were lottery picks.  And that's without mentioning John Wall, Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Karl Anthony Towns, Kristaps Porzingis.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

And that's simply not true.  There have been three players drafted since 2008 that have gone on to become league MVP and James Harden is about to make it four.  There has also been one player who has been a finals MVP (Kyrie Irving).  All were lottery picks.  And that's without mentioning John Wall, Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Karl Anthony Towns, Kristaps Porzingis.

...and tell me, how many playoff wins have John Wall, Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, KAT, and Porzingis combined to have?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jody23 said:

Number of playoff wins wasn't the point of contention.  I would guess the number is not high when you consider the fact that Porzingis and Towns are only in their third year, Embiid is in his second year and Simmons is a rookie.  And if simply making the playoffs is the end all be all, it appears all of them have a great chance to be in the playoffs this season.

OK.  How many championships do those players have?  Suddenly, all of these players are at the level of Durant and James.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

OK.  How many championships do those players have?  Suddenly, all of these players are at the level of Durant and James.

Yeah, let's forget the original false premise that no elite caliber players have been drafted in the lottery since 2007.  Steph Curry doesn't have two championships and Kyrie Irving doesn't have one either.  Nope.

• Like 4