• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

1 hour ago, davis171 said:

Ugh how can you predict this offseason. We have been over this :banghead: You just can't accept you are wrong. Also 5 just turned into 3 which I'm okay with.

5 would be more realistic in what the normal west is, which btw...KB's standards of "you must always make the playoffs!"...half of the Hawks teams that did in that "run" would not have in the West. It's more likely to be 3, unless we have a universe in which the East suddenly becomes as good as the West has been in this era. 

Please contract the playoffs back to 4 per conference and end this crap. Unless you have a case like Houston in which they had a superstar go down for most of the season before coming back, being in the playoffs is 100% false hope unless you have 50+ wins (or were on track for it), unlike the NFL and MLB. Better to have NO hope than false hope for me in sports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

5 would be more realistic in what the normal west is, which btw...KB's standards of "you must always make the playoffs!"...half of the Hawks teams that did in that "run" would not have in the West. It's more likely to be 3, unless we have a universe in which the East suddenly becomes as good as the West has been in this era. 

Please contract the playoffs back to 4 per conference and end this crap. Unless you have a case like Houston in which they had a superstar go down for most of the season before coming back, being in the playoffs is 100% false hope unless you have 50+ wins (or were on track for it), unlike the NFL and MLB. Better to have NO hope than false hope for me in sports.

No.  I would rather punish teams that tank by taking away what they want to get with that strategy.  

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

No.  I would rather punish teams that tank by taking away what they want to get with that strategy.  

I'm fine if the league wants to do that as long as they give plenty of advance notice so the playing field is level and they address the market inequities so that teams that aren't natural free agent draws have a path to contending.

• Like 3

Like I said late last night, I actually think draft pick taking away might start in the 2019 draft. It's going to be deemed to be too late with this draft, though, but I suspect they give a warning before 18/19 that teams that make obvious tanking moves are going to be fined and have picks taken away.

The catch with this though is if you're just plain bad, but aren't sitting players for no reason (and sorry, but Bazemore is sitting for a real injury), you aren't going to be punished. 

Edited by Lurker

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Watchman said:

The entire draft selection process should be random, with no exceptions and no set order.  That takes away any incentive for teams to intentionally lose.

That will leave a lot more team in the position the Nets have been the last few years.  Worst team in the league last season?  Enjoy the 30th pick.

Defending champs when LeBron2.0 emerges?  You got lucky and get him.  

15 hours ago, KB21 said:

The broken record is the “tanking is great” crowd.  

Or....OR....the broken record is your uncharitable strawman representation of the “tank crowd”.  Tanking sucks, but I find it preferable to winning 40 games with an old and overpaid roster with no prospects for substantial improvement.  It’s ok to disagree with me and other people who think like I do, but stop with the shallow and self-serving mischaracterizations.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AHF said:

That will leave a lot more team in the position the Nets have been the last few years.  Worst team in the league last season?  Enjoy the 30th pick.

Defending champs when LeBron2.0 emerges?  You got lucky and get him.  

Yeah if we’re going to do a random draft, we should just make a hard cap, remove individual player caps, and make all draftees free agents.  You’d still have tanking because teams would gut their rosters trying to sign LeBron 2.0.  

Or we could do something like having the lottery extend to the 5th seeds and below in the playoffs with less weighting toward the top few teams.  

How about this?  Teams 1-9 enter an even chances lottery for the top pick.  After that, teams 10-14 join the remaining teams for a draw for #2.  After that, teams 15-19 join for a draw for the #3 Pick.  Really hard to justify a full on tank in this system.  This is my current fave.  

I think the lottery changes discussed are unnecessary. Unless you create a system like soccer where you "demote" teams to a lower division (G-league) you want to keep some form of parity among teams. When a team tanks, their bottom line suffers so they already have their "punishment." I grew up in a different country and one of the things that makes American sports leagues so competitive is the draft and limited cap spaces. 

That said, I think the league should consider making the G league into its own division and demote the last 2 or 3 teams each season and ascend the best 2 or 3 from the G league, while giving them as a reward the first, second and third picks of the draft. That will almost guarantee that teams will no longer tank purposely.

• Premium Member
On 3/18/2018 at 9:27 AM, davis171 said:

how long do you think longterm is 3-5 years?

Atleast 5 years. As I look at the roster now...  maybe Collin will be here when we start turning around.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Atleast 5 years. As I look at the roster now...  maybe Collin will be here when we start turning around.

Why wouldn't Prince be here? You are throwing out a random number without doing any back research. The longest drought in the east is the 76ers at 5 years which ends this year with a roster that has more talent and upside than any hawks team has ever had I'd take that.

• Like 1

Next year Hawks will probably be around 10th. Then back sniffing the playoffs (8th) in ‘19-‘20, 3rd year of the reset.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hazer said:

Next year Hawks will probably be around 10th. Then back sniffing the playoffs (8th) in ‘19-‘20, 3rd year of the reset.

I'd say it is 2-4 years (after this year) if we do this right through the draft. I could see Schlenk exploring trades should players like Kawhi, AD, etc come available.

• Like 1