• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Budenholzer has been meeting with Phoenix Suns management and ownership since Monday

GameTime

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Then it’s not worth it

Hawks have already played their hands that they don't want Bud back so that limits what they will get.  i say they only get a 2nd rounder or maybe a swap of the 16 and 19 picks if that is allowed.  But I think a second rounder might be all we get. Sad.

24 minutes ago, Hawk88 said:

Hawks have already played their hands that they don't want Bud back so that limits what they will get.  i say they only get a 2nd rounder or maybe a swap of the 16 and 19 picks if that is allowed.  But I think a second rounder might be all we get. Sad.

If that’s the case then you just let Bud walk after his 2 years are up. No need to give into other teams demands when bud is still under contract.

a 2nd rd pick isn’t worth it. I rather keep bud for two more seasons (which is his contract)and try to work things out. But I certainly wouldn’t just trade bud for a meaningless 2nd rd pick cause of what has been put out publicly.

Man listen. If Schlenk trades Bud and does not get PHXs TOP pick, I probably will not support the Hawks until he’s fired. You don’t worry about what the OTHER team is willing to do. The only thing of value PHX has that’s even close to Bud is their top pick. If he flips Bud for anything less, Schlenk is more interested in “leaving his mark” than building a winning team. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JTB said:

If that’s the case then you just let Bud walk after his 2 years are up. No need to give into other teams demands when bud is still under contract.

a 2nd rd pick isn’t worth it. I rather keep bud for two more seasons (which is his contract)and try to work things out. But I certainly wouldn’t just trade bud for a meaningless 2nd rd pick cause of what has been put out publicly.

I agree with you but I don't think the Schlenk does.  He wants Bud gone so he can pick "his guy".  Sadly Schlenk isn't going to get what Bud is worth.  Just watch.

19 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Man listen. If Schlenk trades Bud and does not get PHXs TOP pick, I probably will not support the Hawks until he’s fired. You don’t worry about what the OTHER team is willing to do. The only thing of value PHX has that’s even close to Bud is their top pick. If he flips Bud for anything less, Schlenk is more interested in “leaving his mark” than building a winning team. 

Yep, its about Schlenk.  Can't get a better developmental coach than Bud, period.

Edited by Hawk88
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I rather Bud walk away after his contract is up in two years than to throw him away for meaningless 2nd rd picks. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, capstone21 said:

It will prob be a second rounder

History shows 2nd round compensation can be part of the compensation but 1st round consideration is almost always included. Every thing from unprotected 1st to the rights to swap 1st. If we don't get a 1st for two years guaranteed of Bud ball I will be severely disappointed.

Not the end of the world, but most of other teams have done way better than just a 2nd for their current coach.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

History shows 2nd round compensation can be part of the compensation but 1st round consideration is almost always included. Every thing from unprotected 1st to the rights to swap 1st. If we don't get a 1st for two years guaranteed of Bud ball I will be severely disappointed.

Not the end of the world, but most of other teams have done way better than just a 2nd for their current coach.

Exactly and as much as I rather keep bud Schlenk could at the LEAST get us back all that said above.

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

Are you just now realizing this?  I knew this was the case when he freely chose to bottom this roster out.

45 minutes ago, Hawk88 said:

Great way to bring down what the Hawks are asking.

You might be right, but they are also interviewing Vogel and are supposedly looking at Blatt and some other candidates. I think the interview didn't go as well for Bud. 

39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Are you just now realizing this?  I knew this was the case when he freely chose to bottom this roster out.

Here’s the thing you COULD be right about nearly anything you post here on the squawk and I will give you some props and say you were right for the most part on a few things.

however regardless of tanking or not I fully believe keeping Budenholzer in place makes the whole tanking process go way quicker than a typical coach which is why I went ahead and was on board with the tanking. 

Bud is great at developing players and with Xs and Os...it would have been easy to get back to the playoffs in the east regardless of what you said as long as bud was in the picture is what I truly believed.

now if you take bud out of the whole thing ....now I can see your view of the 7-10 year tank process...but I never saw that with bud being here as the coach . With bud it was always 2-4 years tops in my eyes and leaning heavily towards 2-3 and we’d be back in the playoffs with a younger team.

OBVIOUSLY I saw more value in bud as a coach than you which why I never saw the tank process getting to 10 years BUT I can now 

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

This is just laughable.  NO ONE is trading a top pick for a coach.  As i mentioned earlier, Doc won a title with Boston and the LAC only gave up the 28th pick.  Riley is a HOF coach and MIA only had to give up the 19th pick and cash.  Phx ain't giving up a Top 3 pick for ANY coach, let alone Bud.  

Now I agree with you that trading Bud for a 2nd isn't equal value, but IF Bud doesn't want to be here, then the only options are to get as much as you can or take a chance on forcing Bud to coach out the rest of his contract and having team chemistry issues.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JTB said:

Here’s the thing you COULD be right about nearly anything you post here on the squawk and I will give you some props and say you were right for the most part on a few things.

however regardless of tanking or not I fully believe keeping Budenholzer in place makes the whole tanking process go way quicker than a typical coach which is why I went ahead and was on board with the tanking. 

Bud is great at developing players and with Xs and Os...it would have been easy to get back to the playoffs in the east regardless of what you said as long as bud was in the picture is what I truly believed.

now if you take bud out of the whole thing ....now I can see your view of the 7-10 year tank process...but I never saw that with bud being here as the coach . With bud it was always 2-4 years tops in my eyes and leaning heavily towards 2-3 and we’d be back in the playoffs with a younger team.

OBVIOUSLY I saw more value in bud as a coach than you which why I never saw the tank process getting to 10 years BUT I can now 

As great as Bud is, there are certain aspects that even he cannot overcome.  One of them is coaching a team full of G-League players who aren't capable NBA players.  Even Pops wouldn't be able to overcome that.  He's a great coach, but even he can't overcome being forced to play young players.

9 minutes ago, JTB said:

It just depends on who they draft.  There's no guarantees obviously, but history shows us that there's been plenty of players drafted at 19 or later that were very good NBA players.  Nothing saying they can't draft such players here.  It's not easy but that's what they are getting paid for.  If they can hit on 75% of their picks this year they will be well on their way to being a playoff team again in the East.  Hell they were competitive this year with a bunch of young guys and guys that aren't NBA talent (thanks to Bud I realize).  

Here's some guys drafted 19th or later that had very good NBA careers:

• Zach Randolph
  • Michael Finley
  • Rondo
  • Tayshun Prince
  • Kyle Lowry
  • Jimmy Butler
  • Dennis Rodman
  • George Hill
  • Rudy Gobert
  • Hasaan Whiteside

22 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This is just laughable.  NO ONE is trading a top pick for a coach.  As i mentioned earlier, Doc won a title with Boston and the LAC only gave up the 28th pick.  Riley is a HOF coach and MIA only had to give up the 19th pick and cash.  Phx ain't giving up a Top 3 pick for ANY coach, let alone Bud.  

Now I agree with you that trading Bud for a 2nd isn't equal value, but IF Bud doesn't want to be here, then the only options are to get as much as you can or take a chance on forcing Bud to coach out the rest of his contract and having team chemistry issues.  

The top pick is certainly pie in the sky but people are using the same hyperbole that the #16 is equally extortionate.  You can’t look in hindsight and say “that’s all those other coaches got” because that certainly wasn’t the sentiment AT THE TIME those deals were consummated.  I’ve used this analogy elsewhere in that kind of hindsight is akin to saying Otis Thorpe netted the 2nd pick in the greatest draft of the last 20 years so Dedmon should net at least #1 in this weaker draft.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

It just depends on who they draft.  There's no guarantees obviously, but history shows us that there's been plenty of players drafted at 19 or later that were very good NBA players.  Nothing saying they can't draft such players here.  It's not easy but that's what they are getting paid for.  If they can hit on 75% of their picks this year they will be well on their way to being a playoff team again in the East.  Hell they were competitive this year with a bunch of young guys and guys that aren't NBA talent (thanks to Bud I realize).  

Here's some guys drafted 19th or later that had very good NBA careers:

• Zach Randolph
  • Michael Finley
  • Rondo
  • Tayshun Prince
  • Kyle Lowry
  • Jimmy Butler
  • Dennis Rodman
  • George Hill
  • Rudy Gobert
  • Hasaan Whiteside

I noticed that you left Millsap off of your list! :MooseGoggles:

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If the Hawks get the 16th pick from Phoenix or the 17th pick from Milwaukee, They would be ecstatic! 

Yeah.  Those picks will be great for a coach that can't develop them properly.