• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud's Legacy in Atlanta

AHF

11 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Gotta say I'm as happy as can be with Bud leaving our Hawks. 

Imo his coaching ability was always overrated whereas the actual talent level of the Hawks roster always got underrated, simply because of the Hawks being a small market team.

He cost us way too many games in the last stretch of the season. With a good coach we would've ended the season losing out. You know part of being a good coach is to put things into perspective and plan how to coach your roster to the top longterm.

The only thing I'll miss is his face of pure cluelessnes when something didn't go his way.

Good riddance Bud!

LOL!  Another predictable, idiotic statement.

• Like 1

I find it funny that fans are giving Schlenk credit for drafting John Collins like it was some great scouting find when, in fact, it was luck that he fell to their pick.  

You can't take all the credit away from him. That's like saying the Jazz are 100% lucky to have Donovan Mitchell when in reality I'm sure a lot of scouting and additional development got him to where he is now. I don't know how much credit to give Schlenk, but his next few drafts will tell me just how good of an eye for talent he has.

Seems like we'll be tanking again this season, and with a GM who may very well be more lucky than good, I'm not too enthusiastic about that.

1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

You can't take all the credit away from him. That's like saying the Jazz are 100% lucky to have Donovan Mitchell when in reality I'm sure a lot of scouting and additional development got him to where he is now. I don't know how much credit to give Schlenk, but his next few drafts will tell me just how good of an eye for talent he has.

Seems like we'll be tanking again this season, and with a GM who may very well be more lucky than good, I'm not too enthusiastic about that.

Donovan Mitchell is actually a much more impressive pick because he wasn’t rated as a lottery guy going in, and the Jazz traded to get him.  Most had him going in the 17-20 range.  

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

I'm waiting for more details to emerge. If Bud really did quit and intentionally won those games just to sabotage our lottery chances as a final middle finger to management then he has no legacy here.

Bud quit.

From AJC and sources

https://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/hawks-need-find-right-coach-after-mike-budenholzer-quit-rebuild/BQHTLJJ9KgM8auWWQf9FRJ/

Budenholzer looks bad for a number of reasons, but most of all this: When owner Tony Ressler stripped him of his team presidency and personnel power, hiring general manager Travis Schlenk, the coach could’ve walked away. He didn’t. He effectively committed to the rebuilding process, committed to developing players and helping form the core for potential contending teams in the future.

This is what Budenholzer said in October about coming back: “Organizations go through change. Yeah, it’s different. But I believe in Atlanta. I believe in our ownership. So let’s build it up again. There wasn’t (hesitation).”

Oops.

Never mind.

If you were a player in the locker room, how would you feel about Budenholzer bolting? If an athlete had done something similar, what would your thoughts be? What would a coach’s thoughts be?

Here’s mine: Budenholzer quit. He didn’t quit during the season but he quit on the process. He quit on a commitment he made a year ago. He quit with two years left on his contract.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Yeah, it is what I thought. F Bud. He quit on us. I don't see how any HAWKS fan can defend him now.

But theyll still blame Schlenk. smh..Fk you Bud!!

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't hate Bud about this.  He decided to stick around for the year after taking the ego hit that he was being stripped of certain responsibilities and the match wasn't right either from his side, both sides and/or Res/Sch (who don't seem to have fought to convince him otherwise).  The quotes you see in the paper from last year are the typical positive speak from a coach.  If he wanted to walk, that doesn't make me hate him.  It lessens any emotional attachment but I don't think he is out of line.  Where I do think he is being greedy is if he wants the $14M and the right to walk, though.  In that circumstance, he needs to forego the contract or negotiate a reduced buyout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Yeah, it is what I thought. F Bud. He quit on us. I don't see how any HAWKS fan can defend him now.

And I've said this in the beginning.  The Bud apologists will say Ferry had something to do with it, he was never on board, Schlenk didn't like him...All lies! I'll say it again F*** that dude!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deester11 said:

And I've said this in the beginning.  The Bud apologists will say Ferry had something to do with it, he was never on board, Schlenk didn't like him...All lies! I'll say it again F*** that dude!

...and I'll say it again.  f*** Travis Schlenk.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, GameTime said:

It's obvious he quit on the process. The process doens't work and Bud wants to win. Schlenk doesn't, at least for now, so Bud quit. Bud tried to do his job, which was coach to win with a team of nearly unplayable players. When the somehow got some wins (because of Dennis, Ilyasova and Marco), Schlenk deprived him of some of his best players. Tell me why he would have chosen to stick with a franchise which is all about losing, would you?

I don't blame him at all. He wants to do his job. If you won't let him, he'll just leave. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrazilianHawk said:

It's obvious he quit on the process. The process doens't work and Bud wants to win. Schlenk doesn't, at least for now, so Bud quit. Bud tried to do his job, which was coach to win with a team of nearly unplayable players. When the somehow got some wins (because of Dennis, Ilyasova and Marco), Schlenk deprived him of some of his best players. Tell me why he would have chosen to stick with a franchise which is all about losing, would you?

I don't blame him at all. He wants to do his job. If you won't let him, he'll just leave. It's as simple as that.

Don't worry.  We are going to make up some BS about how the new coach is going to be more "in tune" with young players than Bud was, and how that is going to be better for the "long term" future of the franchise.  Which just means that the new coach is going to be willing to play young players minutes they haven't earned and accept the losing that comes with that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Don't worry.  We are going to make up some BS about how the new coach is going to be more "in tune" with young players than Bud was, and how that is going to be better for the "long term" future of the franchise.  Which just means that the new coach is going to be willing to play young players minutes they haven't earned and accept the losing that comes with that.

Don't worry.  There will be a few people who will bitch continually about a process  that is already done.  Quit being a Hawk's fan like Bud quit on a process that he supported since it's so unbearable.  Whatever happened in between is done.  Can't we talk about the draft, your NEW thoughts on how to win going forward? Freaking old hearing the crying about something none of us control.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

OK, he did draft Collins with the #19 pick.

Let's take a look at some draft mocks. I did a quick search and could find any mock that had him lower than that.

nbadraft #13
cbssports #18
si #15
walterfootball #14
bleacherreport #14
newsday #17
csnsports #18
forbes #15
sportingnews #16
sbnation #19

I don't have any reason to think Schlenk is an amazing talent evaluator so far. Granted he needs more time to prove himself, but people is saying "oh, he's 1-1". It was a no-brainer, but better lucky than good, I guess.

Prince @12 (a "reach" at the time he was taken) was actually a better draft decision than Collins @19. I'm not saying Prince will be better than Collins 3 years from now, but the Prince pick actually required some thought and guts. Collins just slipped to Schlenk. Not taking him would be an absurd. Schlenk got lucky, but nevertheless showed some competence in drafting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

Don't worry.  There will be a few people who will bitch continually about a process  that is already done.  Quit being a Hawk's fan like Bud quit on a process that he supported since it's so unbearable.  Whatever happened in between is done.  Can't we talk about the draft, your NEW thoughts on how to win going forward? Freaking old hearing the crying about something none of us control.

OK.  So, the first thing they need to do going forward is fire Travis Schlenk and get a good GM in place.

21 hours ago, KB21 said:

LOL!  Another predictable, idiotic statement.

Hello Pot, I’d like you to meet Kettle...

• Like 2

I personally liked Bud the coach, the way he developed talent and elevated average players to good players, that "I smell shit" look from the sidelines, his team ball concept, competitiveness, the Bud Wave. I didn't like his stubbornness, strange substitution patterns, affinity for subpar pet players, out-of-bounds play calling, and HORRIBLE GMing. Still, best Hawks coach since Wilkens, hate to see him go, top 10 in the league currently. But if he deliberately cheated us out of a Top 3 pick with those Utah/Washington/Boston wins because he knew he was leaving, and QUIT on the Hawks like a chicken shit after saying he's up for the challenge of the retool, I gotcha Bud Wave right here:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Here is what you are trying to replace with Bud leaving:

1.  Elite coach at player development.

2.  Elite coach at culture development.

3.  Elite coach at tactical decisions.

This is a top 5-7 coach that we have decided to piss on because we want to lose games, and he's too great of a coach to intentionally lose games.