• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud's Legacy in Atlanta

AHF

My take is he’s a decent coach. But his ego is terrible.  My take is ressler and Schlenk did try to work with him but clearly he wanted out. He was stripped of his power for a reason.  That said coaching would be a B+. With his gym tenure nocking him down to a d minus hell I could even argue a F for him. That said he’s somewhere in the middle. And for those that keep insisting the hawks had assets you need to take off those rose colored glasses. A lot of the guys on the hawks would be fringe rotation/ dnp cd guys on other teams. And you simply can’t let talent walk without some form of compensation. From his bungling of horford,to the trade of korver, to the milsap he’s gone naw I want to keep him shit. He failed. 

• Like 2

Again, it wasn't Bud that bungled the Horford deal.  If it were up to Bud, Horford would have gotten the max deal and would still be in Atlanta.  It was Tony Ressler that demanded the Dwight Howard signing for marketing reasons.  Bud was never on board with that decision, and that was the start of the divide between he and Ressler.  

Bud got a 1st round pick for Adrien Payne.  He got a 1st round pick for Kyle Korver.  People want to laud Travis Schlenk for paying $10-13 million for the last pick of the first round, and Bud got better assets in both deals he made than the one Travis made to get the 30th pick.  

The fact is, Bud only had a two year period where he was President of Basketball Operations.  He never got the chance to build this team to his vision because of an owner who is reactionary, has a low basketball IQ, and is only interested in developing "The Gulch".  

So now, the coach the Hawks are letting walk is the unquestioned top candidate for all the head coaching jobs that are currently available, and the jobs that will soon become available.  The Hawks are left with sifting through the chaff to find someone who is willing to absorb the losses this team will incur over the next few years.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Again, it wasn't Bud that bungled the Horford deal.  If it were up to Bud, Horford would have gotten the max deal and would still be in Atlanta.  It was Tony Ressler that demanded the Dwight Howard signing for marketing reasons.  Bud was never on board with that decision, and that was the start of the divide between he and Ressler.  

So I guess Coach Bud is a liar?

Howard, an eight-time All-Star, met with the Hawks on July 1, the first day of the NBA free agency period. Part of the meeting was scheduled to be a 10-minute conversation with coach Mike Budenholzer. The two ended up talking for nearly two hours, according to Howard. The two first connected three years ago when the Hawks met with Howard before he signed with the Rockets.

Budenholzer insisted that Howard can fit in the system which calls for the power forward and center to be interchangeable. Howard can’t stretch the floor with a limited shooting range but he can put pressure on the rim. That is critical, according to Budenholzer, who worked with such players like David Robinson and Tim Duncan as an assistant with the Spurs. In fact, he may be more comfortable with it.

“It’s great to have somebody who is going to roll and put pressure on the rim and have shooting around him,” Budenholzer said. “I think it’s going to work well. In a lot of ways, we’ve adjusted to who we’ve had the first three years and in some ways, it will be going back to what I know maybe even better and maybe even more comfortable with having someone who can put that kind of pressure on the rim.”

https://www.myajc.com/sports/basketball/with-tears-bazemore-howard-are-home-atlanta/38xfIixDuemRYQCGjxKi3J/

• Like 3

On 4/26/2018 at 3:01 PM, AHF said:

My working assumption is that it was not an intentional middle finger to management.  First, it seems unlike him.  Second, I think they would give him the middle finger right back and not release him from his contract if he did.  Assign him to scout in northern Russia or something if he did that.

You can’t do that or else you risk having a bad reputation amongst the other coaches in the league.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

You can’t do that or else you risk having a bad reputation amongst the other coaches in the league.

Yes you can.  You just do it more subtly.  Right now the Hawks look like chumps if reports are correct and he is walking free with his full salary.  

He wants released from his obligations.  It is really simple that he should give something up to get that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AHF said:

Yes you can.  You just do it more subtly.  Right now the Hawks look like chumps if reports are correct and he is walking free with his full salary.  

He wants released from his obligations.  It is really simple that he should give something up to get that.

The situation is already high profile. You better believe coaches and GMs were watching this play out. You can’t hold him hostage or we will never get any half way decent coach with this management in place. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

The situation is already high profile. You better believe coaches and GMs were watching this play out. You can’t hold him hostage or we will never get any half way decent coach with this management in place. 

You aren't holding him hostage.  He is asking to be paid 14M by you to work for a competitor.  Not getting a buyout is a ridiculous position for Bud to argue; it is not even slightly unreasonable for the Hawks to condition his release on a reduction in money owed on the deal for the next two years when he won't be coaching here.  This assumes Bud wasn't kicked to the curb.  If he was canned then it is different than if he walked.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AHF said:

You aren't holding him hostage.  He is asking to be paid 14M by you to work for a competitor.  Not getting a buyout is a ridiculous position for Bud to argue; it is not even slightly unreasonable for the Hawks to condition his release on a reduction in money owed on the deal for the next two years when he won't be coaching here.  This assumes Bud wasn't kicked to the curb.  If he was canned then it is different than if he walked.

I get what you’re saying and yes..it would be completely stupid for us to pay him his full contract to coach elsewhere. I think the fact is hey probably DID get fired and the FO is just trying to save face after hiring one of their best coaches ever.

On April 28, 2018 at 9:02 AM, KB21 said:

Bud got a 1st round pick for Adrien Payne.  He got a 1st round pick for Kyle Korver.  People want to laud Travis Schlenk for paying $10-13 million for the last pick of the first round, and Bud got better assets in both deals he made than the one Travis made to get the 30th pick.  

The fact is, Bud only had a two year period where he was President of Basketball Operations.  He never got the chance to build this team to his vision because of an owner who is reactionary, has a low basketball IQ, and is only interested in developing "The Gulch".  

So now, the coach the Hawks are letting walk is the unquestioned top candidate for all the head coaching jobs that are currently available, and the jobs that will soon become available.  The Hawks are left with sifting through the chaff to find someone who is willing to absorb the losses this team will incur over the next few years.

I don't think Horford really wanted to comeback here anyway. He might have stayed for the max, but I suspect that he felt the team peaked after the 60 win season and he want to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

Donovan Mitchell was considered a lottery pick as high as 8th and most mock drafts had him where he was taken.

Collins, we were lucky to get him there, great pick.

Prince was a reach, he could have been taken at 19 and we would have Lavert,  Valentine or Beasley that were considered better prospects than Bembry, anyway I am still expecting things from Bembry but Valentine is a very good player