• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Bud never agreed to the rebuild.

“Okay.” ~ Jimmy Conway

• Like 1

I think Pierce will probably be the guy looking at the final 6.  Why?

1.  He's worked in the same organization as Travis Schlenk before (GS 2010-2011).

2.  He's used to losing, as he has been a part of the 76ers staff since 2013.

3.  He fits their narrative of a young coach who can "grow" with the team (i.e....a coach who will absorb all the losses for the next 3-4 years before they dump him and start over again.)

They will try to package this as "he was a key part to the development of the current iteration of the 76ers team and played a key role in developing young players on the Warriors.  

Plus, he's going to be available after Monday.  Schlenk said they will probably have the hiring official by the end of next week.  Well, the only coaches they have interviewed that are still going are Collins, Larranaga, and Pierce, and of those, the only one that will be available to hire next week is Pierce.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Bud disagrees with you but whatever helps you sleep at night :

“That process can be incredibly rewarding, I think not just for the organisation but for player for coaches and everyone that’s involved in it. If you’re just focused on the end result you’re probably going to have a frustrating year (bold emphasis mine) but I think if you embrace what you go through every day and work through every day there’s a lot you can take from that"

Or:

”I love what I do. I love this team. I’m focused on what we just did and how we can get better going forward,” Budenholzer said Wednesday, without necessarily denying that he might be willing to look at other options

Is he a liar or would you have us believe it was The paycheck.?  I don't care at this stage but wondering.  

Don’t confuse the chiropractor, errrrrrrr, doctor. It’s 7 minute abs, not 6. You’ll trigger him...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hazer said:

Don’t confuse the chiropractor, errrrrrrr, doctor. It’s 7 minute abs, not 6. You’ll trigger him...

I can't help it if my education level and pay grade is so much higher than yours.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I think Pierce will probably be the guy looking at the final 6.  Why?

1.  He's worked in the same organization as Travis Schlenk before (GS 2010-2011).

2.  He's used to losing, as he has been a part of the 76ers staff since 2013.

3.  He fits their narrative of a young coach who can "grow" with the team (i.e....a coach who will absorb all the losses for the next 3-4 years before they dump him and start over again.)

They will try to package this as "he was a key part to the development of the current iteration of the 76ers team and played a key role in developing young players on the Warriors.  

Plus, he's going to be available after Monday.  Schlenk said they will probably have the hiring official by the end of next week.  Well, the only coaches they have interviewed that are still going are Collins, Larranaga, and Pierce, and of those, the only one that will be available to hire next week is Pierce.  

Lmao this cracked me up. Sixers really choked this series away.

Don't get too ahead of yourself though. Suns made Kokoskov official and he's still coaching the Jazz.

41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I can't help it if my education level and pay grade is so much higher than yours.

Smart people don’t need to convince everyone else they have a high education level. Wealthy people don’t need to convince everyone else they have a high pay grade. Pretenders however, much like the Hawks 10-yr fruitless run as fodder, do.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, hazer said:

Seriously, he's a DC and not a MD? That explains so much.

• Like 1

Considering folks get fined for stating the obvious in regards to tanking, Bud was in a no win situation.  Does not take a genius or "insider" or whatnot to know that of course he was no happy about losing the GM gig and having to coach the gutted remains of what he had built whilst tanking.

ESPN has Budenholzer and Monty Williams being the favorites for the Bucks gig.  Would think it will boil down to who the Greek prefers.  In addition, ESPN is reporting this morning that Lloyd Pierce is going to be interviewed a second time by us.  That might be cruel for Pierce after finally digging out from those years in the desert working with Brett Brown in Phila he would be going to us just one year in.

What little I have seen of Pierce during games, I like his on court demeanor. He looks intense, yet reserved, and focused. Player development is reported to be his niche; if he is studious as well, I am good with the hire.

He should be a lot more willing than Bud to play our younger players and that is key to development. We need to look no further than Boston, Philly, and Utah to see that. The rookies this year are just killing it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DBac said:

Sixers really choked this series away.

It’s more that one of the best coaches in the NBA found a way to exploit the weaknesses of a star rookie trying to lead his team in their first year back in the playoffs. 6ers are just getting started, lord help us if/when Simmons develops his shot.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hazer said:

It’s more that one of the best coaches in the NBA found a way to exploit the weaknesses of a star rookie trying to lead his team in their first year back in the playoffs. 6ers are just getting started, lord help us if/when Simmons develops his shot.

I agree 100%. This is Philly's first season in the playoffs and some naive pundits jumped on the bandwagon; and declared them NBA conference finals players and some the winner.

Next season if Embiid is healthy all season and they can resign Redick; look out Eastern Conference. IMO Redick is showing a flaw in Doc's coaching abilities. Despite all the injuries to CP3 and Blake, Doc never got this much out of JJ. He has been a heartless sniper throughout their playoff run.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, hazer said:

It can be both. Game 1 shooters couldnt hit a shot, game 2 you get 1 point (lol) out of Simmons and blow a 22 pt lead, game 3 they can't inbound the ball.

Boston sports teams have some voodoo that makes everyone else turn to mush I swear.

27 minutes ago, hazer said:

Very interesting tidbit about Pierce from a recent PH article:

Recently, ESPN’s Kevin Arnovitz wrote the following about Pierce as a head coaching prospect:

Philadelphia assistant Lloyd Pierce is a name to watch in the coming years. He was named by the most diverse set of sources, from technocratic execs to veteran players. They admire his gravitas and cerebral strategic approach, but also value his ability to establish trust with players from LeBron James to Dario Saric.

Most intriguing part: young, widely respected by execs and veterans, gravitas, cerebral strategy, trusted by star players. Pierce just became my favorite candidate. Will attract better FA’s down the road if he can manage to develop young lottery players and get us back to the playoffs sooner (‘20) than later. Big IF. Hope he would keep Hammy onboard.

Yeah started to read up on him last night seems to be the sum of all the things we want. Plus Schlenk and he have worked together. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

What little I have seen of Pierce during games, I like his on court demeanor. He looks intense, yet reserved, and focused. Player development is reported to be his niche; if he is studious as well, I am good with the hire.

He should be a lot more willing than Bud to play our younger players and that is key to development. We need to look no further than Boston, Philly, and Utah to see that. The rookies this year are just killing it.

He's not going to have any choice but to play the young players, seeing that Schlenk has set it up for the team to be extremely young next season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/2018/

As you can see, we already have 11 players signed for next year, with two other guys with the ability to exercise their player option.  Dedmon almost certainly will exercise his option to seek a more lucrative deal.   Muscala, on the other hand, may not be able to get a deal worth more than 5 million per year ( or even a multi-year deal totaling 5 million per year ).  So Moose ( Musky ) may stay for one more year and get that 5 million.

That will bring us to 13 players signed if both Dedmon and Moose comes back.

And we have 4 draft picks in the top 33 in this draft.

Plumlee ( 29 ) and Baze ( 28 ) are officially the "old men" of the team, with Dedmon ( 28 ) and Moose ( 26 ) the next oldest.   If the 4 draft picks make the team, we'll have 13 players who are 25 and under on the team next year.

36 minutes ago, hazer said:

Very interesting tidbit about Pierce from a recent PH article:

Recently, ESPN’s Kevin Arnovitz wrote the following about Pierce as a head coaching prospect:

Philadelphia assistant Lloyd Pierce is a name to watch in the coming years. He was named by the most diverse set of sources, from technocratic execs to veteran players. They admire his gravitas and cerebral strategic approach, but also value his ability to establish trust with players from LeBron James to Dario Saric.

Most intriguing part: young, widely respected by execs and veterans, gravitas, cerebral strategy, trusted by star players. Pierce just became my favorite candidate. Will attract better FA’s down the road if he can manage to develop young lottery players and get us back to the playoffs sooner (‘20) than later. Big IF. Hope he would keep Hammy onboard.

If I was a betting man, I would bet on Pierce getting the job. 2nd interview, then announcement this coming week. Like you said, he fits the mold. Young, good player development background, intelligent, and knows Schlenck.

I do want to give Schelenk this: he did not jump on just one interview and make a hire. He has done multiple interviews; I think eight all together. Travis knows full well this hire and good draft picks will be his legacy. I do not think Ressler has patience for failure. I like Tony's approach. He has already proven with Bud he is not afraid to make the tough call.

Travis has three to five years to make good things happen. That is a very short time in the grand scheme of things. Lets hire a coach and have a solid draft. Go Hawks!

• Like 3