• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mo Bamba Comparison

Hawk88

What an incredibly impressive young man.  Incredible physically with intelligence and maturity.  And the young man has a humility about him.  Listening to him and watching him reminds me of a young John Smoltz.  Maturity beyond his years combined with natural uncoachable athletic ability with extreme intelligence.  In the right system I have no doubt that Mo will be a big success.  Can he bring a title to a team that's never had one? I think it's possible.  He sure looks like he will be able to shoot.  So I think the offense will come, not a 20+ per night scorer but solid offensive numbers.  I'd be pretty happy if the Hawks take him at #3.  Big time asset to the city and he would bring an identity.  Surround Mo with a lot of lanky stretch types of defensive players.  Meshes with coach Pierce as well. Will need to add one big time scorer still.  Maybe next year.

Hawk88

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Alex said:

Limited offense and is pretty raw still.  He’s a project.  Like I said in another thread.  You don’t draft a project number 3 overall.  

He isn't a project on defense or on the boards...Those are skills that he already has and could get better.  He may not be a go to scorer now but neither was Embiid his freshman year.  In fact, his stats are better than Embiid's

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Alex said:

Limited offense and is pretty raw still.  He’s a project.  Like I said in another thread.  You don’t draft a project number 3 overall.  

I hear you.  To me, as someone else said, you draft a guy like Bamba based on expecting a DPOY type.  But you do that knowing full well you're gonna have to get your alpha (offensively) elsewhere.

I'd take Bamba over Bagley.  To me it's a Bamba/Porter battle.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He is the 4th rated player in most drafts.  Trade back with who?

CBS Sports has him 7th

Bleacher Report has him 5th

Sporting News has him 7th

NBA.com has him 5th

Basketball Insiders has him 5th

NBC Sports has him 5th

Only one I’ve seen him 4th is NBADraft. I think Bagley’s the guy at 3. Bamba is the pick at 5.

• Premium Member
Just now, hazer said:

CBS Sports has him 7th

Bleacher Report has him 5th

Sporting News has him 7th

NBA.com has him 5th

Basketball Insiders has him 5th

NBC Sports has him 5th

Only one I’ve seen him 4th is NBADraft. I think Bagley’s the guy at 3. Bamba is the pick at 5.

I don't think anyone is taking Jaren Jackson ahead of Bamba and Doncic seems to be falling down everyone's draft board after he fouled out of the championship game.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

I don't think anyone is taking Jaren Jackson ahead of Bamba and Doncic seems to be falling down everyone's draft board after he fouled out of the championship game.

But Bamba IS this year’s pick moving up the draft. He may well be gone by 5th. I love the guy, wouldn’t be pissed if Schlloyd reaches and snagged him 3rd. A Bamba/Collins front court could work very well for a very long time. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

But Bamba IS this year’s pick moving up the draft. He may well be gone by 5th. I love the guy, wouldn’t be pissed if Schlloyd reaches and snagged him 3rd. A Bamba/Collins front court could work very well for a very long time. 

Yep!

I like Bamba. He would be my 2nd choice. I still wouldn’t pass on Bagley. Something tells me he’s a future hall of famer. Having said that, I love Bamba as well. He is Gobert on D but his offense is going to be pretty darn good in a few years without question. He has fantastic handles for a guy with that length overal. 3rd choice would be Porter.  

If Bamba somehow falls to 6th, I like @hazer idea of falling back in a trade and collecting assets. That’s only if we are not in love with Bagley.

ps The Magic are a great franchise to deal with also because they are so inept. I’d bank of their future picks because I’m not sure they will get better for a while. We need to deal with them somehow.

Interesting thought. If we took Bamba at #3.  Add a talent at #19 and I think our roster is comparable or better to the Cavs minus Lebron of course.  Would be interesting to see how far Lebron could take this group.  He signs with the Hawks and takes us to the finals.  Can't think of anything he could do better to establish his claim as GOAT. 

I know it won't happen but it would be interesting.

Hawk88

• Like 1

We need to take Bagley if he’s available at three. Bamba is an old school big who can protect the rim, play defense, but does not project to be an offensive asset. I think you need to be better at #3, especially in our situation. We need to look for a scorer. Bagley struggled defensively at Duke, but he has all of the tools to be a good defender. 

Honestly, and my Duke fandom is probably showing, but I’d rather take Carter over Bamba. Carter is a great shot blocker and a much more polished offensive player. Just a steady, low-risk player. 

25 minutes ago, devilwentdown2GA said:

We need to take Bagley if he’s available at three. Bamba is an old school big who can protect the rim, play defense, but does not project to be an offensive asset. I think you need to be better at #3, especially in our situation. We need to look for a scorer. Bagley struggled defensively at Duke, but he has all of the tools to be a good defender. 

Honestly, and my Duke fandom is probably showing, but I’d rather take Carter over Bamba. Carter is a great shot blocker and a much more polished offensive player. Just a steady, low-risk player. 

Jamal?

Bamba is an extremely mobile Mutombo. You can take that how you will, for me, that's worth a top 3 pick. His offense has a higher ceiling than most realize, but it will take a great coach to get it out of him...

Sure, you'd want an alpha male scorer like Harden, Kobe, Leron, etc. but this draft offers no such talent. It offers an influx of bigs. Now next year's draft has some very nice swingmen talent. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hazer said:

Again, you have two non shooting bigs trying to fit them together.  You will destroy the spacing of the offense.  That doesn't even take into account that Bamba is a net zero offensively.

The decision on this pick should be easy.  If Doncic isn't there, you take Jaren Jackson Jr.  JJJ is by far the best fit along side John Collins, and he's a better prospect than Bagley/Bamba as well.