• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk is a motherf*@*ing monster!

NBASupes

• Moderators

There has not been a deliberate decision to cut features here.  Priority 1 was getting the site back up.  Since then, the mods and admin are working to restore prior functionality. We think the base application in which the site is built has shifted a few things around — which is partly responsible for recent problems.  

I am sure @lethalweapon3 and the rest of us will let people know if we intend to change things for the long term.  Until then please assume we are working to restore things but have some resource constraints that will come into play on timing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thecampster said:

I think by the end of the season, people are going to realize that Doncic was not worth it for the Mavs and there will be a whole different spin on this story.

I'm predicting no more than 12 ppg from Doncic and no more than 4 assists.  Will probably be a 10 and 3 season from him with  "promise" at the end of the season.

The first part of this post I can see being more possible than the second.  I'm predicting 16 ppg and 5-6 assists per game from Doncic and I'm actually going low on that.  I do think that Trae will put up better numbers than Doncic this season though for sure.  I mean Trae's going to have a high usage whereas Doncic will be playing off of Dennis Smith a lot.  I think some forget they have a pretty dang good young man in Smith that will limit Doncic but it wouldn't surprise me if they trend more towards playing through Doncic as the year progresses.

2 hours ago, Eddielives said:

The first part of this post I can see being more possible than the second.  I'm predicting 16 ppg and 5-6 assists per game from Doncic and I'm actually going low on that.  I do think that Trae will put up better numbers than Doncic this season though for sure.  I mean Trae's going to have a high usage whereas Doncic will be playing off of Dennis Smith a lot.  I think some forget they have a pretty dang good young man in Smith that will limit Doncic but it wouldn't surprise me if they trend more towards playing through Doncic as the year progresses.

But Doncic is not athletic enough to take people off the dribble in the NBA and is not a good enough shooter from outside of 15 feet.

Doncic shot 30.9% from 3 last season while shooting 59.2% from 2. He was able to dominate in Europe because big men there tend to be plodders, not shot blockers and players like Sergio Rodriguez are who is trying to guard you at the 1. The Euro game is very different there.  If he shot 30.9% from 3 in Europe. Also remember that in the EuroLeague a 3 is 1 foot 7 inches closer than the NBA (WNBA length).  So a 30.9% 3 shooter at 22.2 now has to move to 23.9.  He is going to struggle in the spot up game for some time.

Doncic is going to play the 2 and 3 more than the 1 in the NBA. He'll be getting guarded by Bazemore and Prince, not Schröder.  Think about how that will affect his ability to dribble, post and shoot over others.  Bembry's on ball defense will drive him insane.  Can he take J.R. Smith off the dribble, Harden?  The quality of athlete is very different at the 2/3 in the NBA than the 1 in Euro.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Doncic shot 30.9% from 3 last season while shooting 59.2% from 2. He was able to dominate in Europe because big men there tend to be plodders, not shot blockers and players like Sergio Rodriguez are who is trying to guard you at the 1. The Euro game is very different there.  If he shot 30.9% from 3 in Europe. Also remember that in the EuroLeague a 3 is 1 foot 7 inches closer than the NBA (WNBA length).  So a 30.9% 3 shooter at 22.2 now has to move to 23.9.  He is going to struggle in the spot up game for some time.

Doncic is going to play the 2 and 3 more than the 1 in the NBA. He'll be getting guarded by Bazemore and Prince, not Schröder.  Think about how that will affect his ability to dribble, post and shoot over others.  Bembry's on ball defense will drive him insane.  Can he take J.R. Smith off the dribble, Harden?  The quality of athlete is very different at the 2/3 in the NBA than the 1 in Euro.

And this is what will severely limit Doncics impact in the NBA. A playmaker only has value if he can get to the spots on the floor he needs to get to. It’s really hard to be a playmaker when you’re relegated to the perimeter. You combine that with him not being a very efficient shooter and he will shoot the Mavs out of a lot of games. I think 3 years down the line the Hawks will look like bandits by getting their guy and getting another potential lottery pick for a guy who will likely be a good rotational piece.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Shhhhhhhhh!  Don't upset the board by picking apart the savior

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phoostal said:

Lol, you want to criticize half of the board because they like Doncic, yet Young has just as many deficiencies if not more when compared to Doncic.  

I'm on record saying I preferred Doncic, I'm moving on and hoping everything works out for the best for the Hawks. Only time will tell who got the better of the deal.  Bottom line though I support the Hawks not the players.

I find it funny though that everyone that wanted Young now feels compelled to tell us that Doncic isn't as good as Young (even though almost every draft board you can find had Doncic rated higher prospect before the draft) and that Young will clearly be the better pro.

Now we are also going to push an agenda (seen in threads on this board) that if you like Doncic and wanted the Hawks to draft  him you aren't a fan of the Hawks.   What's wrong with people? I didn't know there are rules to being a fan of the Hawks.  We all have to agree to be fans?  

I hope Young works out, but to blast people because they like Doncic (and think the Hawks got screwed in the trade) is completely unfair.  Especially when no one knnows how both players careers will end up.  

In the end everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no reason to come down on those you don't agree (that includes vice versa on this debate) with after all we are all Hawk fans who want to win.

To add, I don't support tearing down a player just because your team didn't take him or in an attempt to make another player look better.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

And this is what will severely limit Doncics impact in the NBA. A playmaker only has value if he can get to the spots on the floor he needs to get to. It’s really hard to be a playmaker when you’re relegated to the perimeter. You combine that with him not being a very efficient shooter and he will shoot the Mavs out of a lot of games. I think 3 years down the line the Hawks will look like bandits by getting their guy and getting another potential lottery pick for a guy who will likely be a good rotational piece.

Perhaps but when you have a stepback 3 as he does, you don't have to rely on taking people off the dribble.  There's a good reason he was being compared to Harden.  Harden just has a way of using his body to create space and Doncic, as shown in the many clips of his performances in this latest championship run in Europe, can do the same things.  He's going to be good.  The question is just how good.

there were 4 freak big men and I thought it made sense to take one of them.  with doncic, i was relying on all the fan boys who say he is great; love his highlights, like them more than trae's.  Also, with luka I would have had a chance to get drunk every Friday and Saturday when the Hawks were playing and say stupid things about the my name is luka song.  the other thing in my mind is that we already had a passable pg in dennis, why not get a great center?

the league will become a big man league again one day.

12 minutes ago, kerrypack said:

there were 4 freak big men and I thought it made sense to take one of them.  with doncic, i was relying on all the fan boys who say he is great; love his highlights, like them more than trae's.  Also, with luka I would have had a chance to get drunk every Friday and Saturday when the Hawks were playing and say stupid things about the my name is luka song.  the other thing in my mind is that we already had a passable pg in dennis, why not get a great center?

the league will become a big man league again one day.

Don’t doubt you’ll find another stupid activity to fill your Friday and saturday evenings. If you need suggestions, please see @kg01. Totally kidding I dig but you’ll love our baby Zeke.

1 hour ago, Eddielives said:

Perhaps but when you have a stepback 3 as he does, you don't have to rely on taking people off the dribble.  There's a good reason he was being compared to Harden.  Harden just has a way of using his body to create space and Doncic, as shown in the many clips of his performances in this latest championship run in Europe, can do the same things.  He's going to be good.  The question is just how good.

Actually he is shooting 30.9% from 3...a wnba 3 at that.  Think about it.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:
Not if players continue to improve their shooting from range.  No traditional big can recover to guard the 3 point line.

Then get other players who can switch for them. You don't have to have 5 players all defending the perimeter.

When you are playing against a center who shoots 3's you do.