• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we kick the tires on Jahlil Okafor?

Wurider05

9 hours ago, thecampster said:

Jahlil Okafor career per 36 numbers.

19.8 pts, 8.2 reb, 1.5 blks, 1.6 assists shooting 51.5%.  Those are rookie contract numbers, first 3 seasons.  Again, who are you going to bring in that produces more?

Is he lazy....yep....is he a bit immature...yep.....But think about this....

A stud with a poor attitude can get better, but 

a scrub with the best attitude is still a scrub.

Mike Muscala per 36 last year.

46% shooting, 13.8 points, 7.8 reb, .9 blocks, 1.7 assists.

If we can pay Muscala $5 million a year, We can sure as hell pay Okafor.

• Like 1

I'll never understand the obsession with Okafor.  He's a dinosaur.  I'm not sure how much people need to see before they finally accept that.

If he was willing to do or be the player that he needs to be in order to have an NBA career he wouldn't be on the outside-looking-in right now.

"Bwah, but he can get better ..."

No, not if he doesn't want to.  If the light hasn't gone off by now, let some other schmuck team waste a spot/time on him.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'll never understand the obsession with Okafor.  He's a dinosaur.  I'm not sure how much people need to see before they finally accept that.

If he was willing to do or be the player that he needs to be in order to have an NBA career he wouldn't be on the outside-looking-in right now.

"Bwah, but he can get better ..."

No, not if he doesn't want to.  If the light hasn't gone off by now, let some other schmuck team waste a spot/time on him.

It's not even so much that he's a dinosaur, it's that he's a dinosaur with what appears to be a bad work ethic. He should have been working hard on his body and game in Philly when he realised he wasn't going to play and he would be traded. Nets had to whip him into shape when they traded for him.

48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's not even so much that he's a dinosaur, it's that he's a dinosaur with what appears to be a bad work ethic. He should have been working hard on his body and game in Philly when he realised he wasn't going to play and he would be traded. Nets had to whip him into shape when they traded for him.

And, even after that, they quickly realized he was unplayable.  Not sure what folks still think is 'there' with this guy.

• Moderators

Yup.  My bias is “hell no” just like I’ve said every time this topic has come up over the last year or so.  If Pierce believes in him, we’ll sign him.  I seriously doubt he believes.

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Mike Muscala per 36 last year.

46% shooting, 13.8 points, 7.8 reb, .9 blocks, 1.7 assists.

If we can pay Muscala $5 million a year, We can sure as hell pay Okafor.

Muscala 0.2 WARP

Okafor -1.0 WARP

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Muscala 0.2 WARP

Okafor -1.0 WARP

I am not a Muscala fan but he fits the modern NBA so much better than Okafor does it isn't funny.  The objective numbers also say he is better at just about everything.

Scoring?  Moose - .597% TS% - provides floor spaces, Okafor - .584% TS% - clogs the middle.  Moose's career average TS% is better than Okafor's career best.

Moving the ball?  Moose has the higher ast% and lower TO%.

Defense?  Moose is better here by every metric.

Rebounding goes in Okafor's favor but both suck at it for guys who have filled the center role.  (12.4% TRB for Okafor over Moose's 11.8%)

Basically, I would be fine if Moose walked out the door so I'm not looking to sign "less than Moose" for the same price.....

Unless Pierce wants him.  But I think Pierce's silence will say everything on that.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What high talent, elite prospect guy has ever had 3-4 years in the nba that went consistently downhill and then suddenly turned it around?

Could make a case for Chauncey Billups after 3 years.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

That's not a bad one, 6 teams in his first 4 years before finding his was in Detroit.

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

Victor Oladipo ?

Victor may have been traded a lot but he was still playing effective enough minutes 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well, Mr. Okafor has finally signed with zero apparent interest from Coach Pierce.  Two year deal with this year only partially guaranteed and next year a team option -- just about as favorable an agreement for the team as you can get.  We'll see if he makes anything of it with the Pelicans.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2789958-jahlil-okafor-pelicans-reportedly-agree-on-contract

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Well, Mr. Okafor has finally signed with zero apparent interest from Coach Pierce.  Two year deal with this year only partially guaranteed and next year a team option -- just about as favorable an agreement for the team as you can get.  We'll see if he makes anything of it with the Pelicans.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2789958-jahlil-okafor-pelicans-reportedly-agree-on-contract

I don't think Pierce has much say at all about who is on the roster, but it is telling that the Hawks brought in Justin Anderson through a trade and did not even look at Jahlil Okafor.  Pierce knows firsthand Okafor's lack of work habits and his demeanor.  Not signing Okafor is the right decision, because the Hawks do not currently have the team structure to get the most out of him.  Jahlil needs to be on a team that is veteran heavy.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/11/2018 at 1:54 PM, AHF said:

Possibly but he played decently through his first 3 years but wasn't the star that people thought.  Definitely bounced around but 4 years in became a free agent and then signed a 6 year deal with Detroit.   Okafor is on a deal like he's a d-leaguer.   

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Possibly but he played decently through his first 3 years but wasn't the star that people thought.  Definitely bounced around but 4 years in became a free agent and then signed a 6 year deal with Detroit.   Okafor is on a deal like he's a d-leaguer.   

By his second season he barely played half of his team's games.

He played a total of 13 games his third season.  He started only 5 of those. 

He shot 30-some% each of his first 3 years and less than 34% his third season. 

Teams lost so much confidence they cut him loose during his rookie contract.  Etc.

:er:

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, AHF said:

By his second season he barely played half of his team's games.

He played a total of 13 games his third season.  He started only 5 of those. 

He shot 30-some% each of his first 3 years and less than 34% his third season. 

Teams lost so much confidence they cut him loose during his rookie contract.  Etc.

:er:

I don't think that's right.  First year Pitino gave up on him.   His second year, which was in denver, he started 41 of 45 games in a strike shortened season. Posted 14/4 shot 36% from 3.   Next season (3rd) he played 13 because he was injured.  4th season signed with Minny and pretty much broke out over the course of 2 years and then landed a 6 year deal with Detroit.