• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we kick the tires on Jahlil Okafor?

Wurider05

1 minute ago, Wurider05 said:

There is actually no rumors of this guy signing with anyone. Should we give him a 1 year deal?

Yes...because he is better than pretty much everyone left (that would sign here).  Give him a Moose like deal with 1+team option and go from there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

There is actually no rumors of this guy signing with anyone. Should we give him a 1 year deal?

I completely forgot about him and can see Okafor as the type of player we would go after on the cheap.

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Seems like a ball stopper and selfish player.   Not sure we want that when we're trying to build something.

Is he trainable?  If so, sign him.  If not, forget it.  Someone on the Hawk staff should know.

It's hard to understand how a guy with his tools can be unsalvageable at 22.  The physical tools are a prerequisite for success, but from there, the mental side is every bit as important.  Look at Hageman for the Falcons.  He was a freak who could've been a Pro Bowl DT for years, but he couldn't overcome the mental shortcomings (I don't necessarily mean intelligence--it can be discipline, tenacity, persistence, humility, restraint, temperance, etc.).  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, AHF said:

Pierce coached him in Philly.  I would rely on Pierce's judgment.  My guess is that this means a hard pass.

I was thinking the same thing. If Pierce hasn't asked to get him, then it isn't worth it.

I think Michael Cunningham had the observation that he's been let go by two teams who could have used him. That should be enough warning for everyone. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He's going the Anthony Bennett route. 

Has he developed a jumper, has he improved his effort on defense and rebounding? 

He's considered a lumbering big and especially defensively.

He might be best served signing a GL contract or going to China.

• Like 1

The guy just doesn’t do anything all that well. He played sparingly for 2 teams that weren’t competing for anything and hasn’t looked like he will ever live up to his draft spot. We need to add someone solid to our bench. Sign someone who will make the team (at least, marginally) better. We aren’t going to win a ton of games anyways. Don’t completely bottom the roster out. 

Jahlil Okafor career per 36 numbers.

19.8 pts, 8.2 reb, 1.5 blks, 1.6 assists shooting 51.5%.  Those are rookie contract numbers, first 3 seasons.  Again, who are you going to bring in that produces more?

Is he lazy....yep....is he a bit immature...yep.....But think about this....

A stud with a poor attitude can get better, but 

a scrub with the best attitude is still a scrub.

• Like 3