• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I believe Justin Anderson is more than a blank page.

Gray Mule

• Premium Member

The Hawks have 4 total bigs on the roster which includes 1 rookie and 1 non functional player in Plumlee which means they have essentially 2 functional bigs.  The Hawks are thin up front and overloaded with wing players

20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks have 4 total bigs on the roster which includes 1 rookie and 1 non functional player in Plumlee which means they have essentially 2 functional bigs.  The Hawks are thin up front and overloaded with wing players

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they still have two more roster spots now?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks are not overloaded ANYWHERE on this roster.  Taurean Prince was the ONLY true small forward on the team before this deal.  Now they have a guy who can competently back him up and also allow them to slide Prince down to a small ball four position from time to time.  

As far as the other "wing" positions, we don't really know what we have in Kevin Huerter at this point.  I'm high on him, but he's still a rookie.  They have Kent Bazemore as the lone veteran.  Tyler Dorsey is not a functional rotational player in the NBA.  Heck, Jeremy Lin will probably play 5-8 minutes a game as a shooting guard alongside Trae this year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AHF said:

Should be really good for Prince to have someone who can truly "man up" against him and make him work in practice as well.

Yeah, thinking we will have a solid 48 minutes of SF on the floor this season and am counting on progress from Jent's coaching skills to help the shooting percentages of Prince and Justin. Think his coaching has shown at times with Prince already. Bembry is our utility defensive guy third string at multiple positions (SF included) but third string at all of them now. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

2 PGs: Young, Lin

4 SGs: Huerter, Dorsey, Bembry, Bazemore

2 SFs: Prince, Anderson

2 PFs: Collins, Spellman

2 Cs: Dedmon, Plumlee

I see Bembry as the default 3rd PG, so I don't see any additions on that front unless Lin's not going to be on the court, which of course is a viable possibility.

So, if we believe what Schlenk said the other day, there are two more slots for players to fit into... conventional wisdom says he's looking for a 4 who can play some 3, and a C... both of them developmental guys.

Unless there's someone Schlenk really likes, it makes sense to me to just wait until the final roster cut day, and see who ends up on the waiver wire from other teams... might find some 2017 and 2018 2nd rounders who got squeezed out, allowing us to pounce.

• Like 2

As I said on other post, already better than Dorsey and Bembry, for me is a draw with Baze at a much smaller salary. More Size, more athletic, can play defense and shoots well, with Lin and Trae he could flourish. He can really play SG and SF not as Baze that can only play SG.

He is a huge upgrade at wing position, one of those players good teams have on their bench. Do not understimate the possible contribution of this guy with this team.

On a side note I still hope Bembry can become a valuable player, defensive player that can penetrate and dish the ball if he improves his shooting watch out, good compliment to Young in fact he could be the perfect SG for Trae

• Like 1

hace 49 minutos, sturt dijo:

2 PGs: Young, Lin

4 SGs: Huerter, Dorsey, Bembry, Bazemore

2 SFs: Prince, Anderson

2 PFs: Collins, Spellman

2 Cs: Dedmon, Plumlee

I see Bembry as the default 3rd PG, so I don't see any additions on that front unless Lin's not going to be on the court, which of course is a viable possibility.

So, if we believe what Schlenk said the other day, there are two more slots for players to fit into... conventional wisdom says he's looking for a 4 who can play some 3, and a C... both of them developmental guys.

Unless there's someone Schlenk really likes, it makes sense to me to just wait until the final roster cut day, and see who ends up on the waiver wire from other teams... might find some 2017 and 2018 2nd rounders who got squeezed out, allowing us to pounce.

Alan Williams, Len, Vonleh... Young players we could try, all can become valuable players, I would only sign one

• Like 1

I like Anderson as a 3 and D player provided he can improve his shooting. He shoots .784 from the free throw line so he has a chance to get better. He is a little short for a small forward at 6'6" but he not small weighing around 225 lbs, If you use his per 36 minute stats, it looks like he gets after it on the offensive and defensive boards.

Only drawback I have is Justin is a RFA next season. If he is not expensive to keep, he could be a good long term role player who can guard three positions very well. Like a Marcus Smart defender but a SG/SF instead.

• Like 2

Anderson was a good pick up and a Pierce guy (Pierce coached him with the 76ers). Wow can't believe I'm agreeing with KB but we are pretty deep and versatile at every position and adding another 3-D Sf/PF and an at least D and RE C would pretty much round us out. 

• Like 1

Great get, this is the type of tenacious dude(s) we need up and down the bench if we eventually want to contend. With Bembry a solid 3rd stringer at PG, SG, and SF, I feel like we only need to add 1 more player. A combo PF/C to man the 3rd string frontcourt taking Moose’s spot, roll with 13:

Lin//Young/Bembry

Baze/Dorsey/Huerter/Bembry

Prince/Anderson/Bembry

Collins/Spellman/Dude

Dedmon/Plumlee/Same Dude

• Like 1

gray mule has only been a fan for 68 years and expects to understand basketball?  ha ha, wow.

I am a unc fan and didn't understand why anderson went so late in the draft.  he is really athletic, good size and could shoot the hell out of the 3 in college (i guess mostly for one year).  here is an article on him

https://virginia.sportswar.com/article/2015/05/14/virginias-justin-anderson-shines-at-nba-combine/

39 minutes ago, hazer said:

Great get, this is the type of tenacious dude(s) we need up and down the bench if we eventually want to contend. With Bembry a solid 3rd stringer at PG, SG, and SF, I feel like we only need to add 1 more player. A combo PF/C to man the 3rd string frontcourt taking Moose’s spot, roll with 13:

Lin//Young/Bembry

Baze/Dorsey/Huerter/Bembry

Prince/Anderson/Bembry

Collins/Spellman/Dude

Dedmon/Plumlee/Same Dude

Greg Monroe on the cheap, and bump Plumlee to 3rd string?

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

Greg Monroe on the cheap, and bump Plumlee to 3rd string?

That defense though ?

2 hours ago, hazer said:

That defense though ?

True.  What’s crazy is Monroe is only 28 yet couldn’t get proper minutes over Aaron Baynes and Daniel Theis.  He’s the poster child for players who all of a sudden found themselves castaways in a different league than they entered.  

The little I’ve seen of Anderson I like though.  Good energy.  Stats project to an efficient scoring rotation player and an even defender.

3 hours ago, kerrypack said:

gray mule has only been a fan for 68 years and expects to understand basketball?  ha ha, wow.

I am a unc fan and didn't understand why anderson went so late in the draft.  he is really athletic, good size and could shoot the hell out of the 3 in college (i guess mostly for one year).  here is an article on him

https://virginia.sportswar.com/article/2015/05/14/virginias-justin-anderson-shines-at-nba-combine/

Love his athleticism. Similar to the guys GS brings off the bench. Nice pick up