2018 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft - Picks and Discussion

AHF

• Admin
28 minutes ago, pimp said:

With the next pick, the AAF selects Nicolas Batum

CHA_8d3eb2f6bea939c.jpg

Batum is a jack of all trades.You can plug him anywhere in the line up, and he'll be a perfect fit.
He can rebound(4.8) , he can rack up assists(5.5), he can shoot the 3, and defend multiple positions.
Batum is a top 100 talent, and we feel that getting him at pick 131 is a bargin.

I'M Making a tweek to my line up. The young guys got to earn a starting spot. 
I'm sending Luka to the bench and promoting Batum, until proves Duncic is worthy of starting.

pos- name           age

PG - Kyrie Irving  26      -  Eric Bledsoe - 28
SG - Nicolas Batum 29 - Luka Duncic  -  19
SF - Kawhi Leonard 27 - Harrison Barnes 26 - Michael Porter jr 20
PF - Kevin Love    30  -     John Collins 21
C -  Andre Drummod 25  Nikola Vucevic 28

@LucastheThird

One of my fav two way players ... Awesome pick this late ... he had a bit of an off shooting year but he had an elbow injury.  Almost took him over LaVine but I needed some youth.  Been considering him for a few rounds.  Big steal if you ask me

• Like 2

Honestly surprised this player slid down to pick 132, he could honestly start at Center some nights and I wouldn't bat an eye. The Monsters Among Men select: Nerlens Noel

nerlens-noel.jpg?w=1183

My next selection is a glue guy that my coach knows well: Andre Iguodala

Spurs_Warriors_Basketball.JPG.jpg

Depth is key with these types of leagues, Iggy gives my team a third capable SF/PF/SG. Versatility and depth.

Point Guards: Colin Sexton, Marcus Smart

Shooting Guards: Klay Thompson, Danny Green

Small Forwards: Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum, Andre Iguodala

Power Forwards: Al Horford, Domantas Sabonis

Centers: Clint Capela, Nerlens Noel

Head Coach: Steve Kerr

GM: LucastheThird

@pimp is up next

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Honestly surprised this player slid down to pick 132, he could honestly start at Center some nights and I wouldn't bat an eye. The Monsters Among Men select: Hassan Whiteside.

220px-Hassan_Whiteside_2016.jpg

As long as I can limit his minutes and keep him healty, Hassan will be a valuable piece for my team.

@LucastheThird - You are still on the clock.  Whiteside was taken at #47 overall.  

@pimp - You are not yet on the clock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

Honestly surprised this player slid down to pick 132, he could honestly start at Center some nights and I wouldn't bat an eye. The Monsters Among Men select: Nerlens Noel

nerlens-noel.jpg?w=1183

My next selection is a glue guy that my coach knows well: Andre Iguodala

Spurs_Warriors_Basketball.JPG.jpg

Depth is key with these types of leagues, Iggy gives my team a third capable SF/PF/SG. Versatility and depth.

Point Guards: Colin Sexton, Marcus Smart

Shooting Guards: Klay Thompson, Danny Green

Small Forwards: Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum, Andre Iguodala

Power Forwards: Al Horford, Domantas Sabonis

Centers: Clint Capela, Nerlens Noel

Head Coach: Steve Kerr

GM: LucastheThird

@pimp is up next

I had my eye on Nerlens. I went with Stein based on his ability to run the floor and guard more than one position. Even if only as a 20 mpg defensive role player, I do not think Nerlens is done.

With the next pick the AAF selects two time coach of the year Mike D'antoni
cz7EP.gifMike-DAntoni-Mr-Pringles.jpg

We want to run an uptempo style , with lots of 3s, and high pick and rolls.
We believe he is the right guy for our roster.
D'antoni has always been labeled as a dynamic offensive coach, that lacks, or doesn't care about defense. That's why we're also bringing in a defensive coordinator.

I think the Rockets helped solve that problem by adding our new assistant coach 
Jeff Bzdelik.
Rockets assistant Jeff Bzdelik responsible for defensive improvement
https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/18/houston-rockets-assistant-coach-jeff-bzdelik-defense/
Also ,like the Rockets, we have two very good defensive wings (Kawhi & Batum) , and i good defensive center. (Drummond). I think we will have similar results defensively as the 2018 Rockets.

coach - Mike D'Antoni

pos- name           age

@Marvin24Williams 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pimp said:

D'antoni has always been labeled as a dynamic offensive coach, that lacks, or doesn't care about defense. That's why we're also bringing in a defensive coordinator.

Jeff Bzdelik.
https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/18/houston-rockets-assistant-coach-jeff-bzdelik-defense/
Also ,like the Rockets, we have two very good defensive wings (Kawhi & Batum) , and i good defensive center. (Drummond). I think we will have similar results defensively as the 2018 Rockets.

coach - Mike D'Antoni

pos- name           age

@Marvin24Williams 

U bastard! 

23 minutes ago, pimp said:

Jeff Bzdelik.

coach - Mike D'Antoni

pos- name           age

@Marvin24Williams 

You took one of my top dogs! I think my team of young gunners is tailor-made for this guy.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

You took one of my top dogs! I think my team of young gunners is tailor-made for this guy.

That’s what I was sayin...

@pimp you were pimpy till now. This is just mean. MY team was tailor made for Kobe’s fav player growing up. Shame shame shame...

• Moderators
On 8/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, lethalweapon3 said:

In the 7th Round, with the 81st Pick in the 2018 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft, the Lethal Tender selects:

bJlfoC9.jpg

Honestly, Julius Deion Randle (Forward/Center, 6’9”, 250 lbs., Age 23), here in Lethalopolis, we’re every bit as excited as you are! WHOO! (um, no knife-edge chops from you, pls.)

"MUSCLEWATCH!" Much was made of the physical transformation of Tender star Victor Oladipo during the 2017 offseason, the preface to his award-winning superstar turn in the season that followed. Slightly less focus was directed toward his newest teammate, Julius Randle. That is, unless you were reading Men’s Journal and happened upon the 3-week shredding of his slightly pudgy frame. It’s no coincidence that Oladipo and Randle each became not only the top performers on their respective pro outfits, but also Top 5 in the end-of-season voting for Most Improved Player.

Randle returned to action last season and proved himself one of the best interior finishers anyone has seen, shooting 57.5 percent on two-pointers while splitting time between his customary power forward position and as the trendy small-ball pivot man. His nearly 500 two-point buckets (and 300-plus free throws) were the most by anyone who did not begin last season as a full-time starter.

Randle averaged a per-36 double-double of 21.7 points and 10.7 boards, joining fellow Tender big man Joel Embiid as one of just seven players to post 20-and-10 minimums per-36 over the course of 60 or more games. His 15.5 paint points per-36 ranked second in the league, and tops among current Dynasty Draftees.

Shortly after rendering himself an irresistible contributor in his Tinseltown team’s starting lineup, Randle led his lowly team out of its 11-27 slumber to a 24-20 finish, one that had to look appetizing to another burly forward who would supplant him in La-La-Land this summer.

Julius still has plenty of growth in his game that has yet to be revealed. He could be a more effective on-ball defender, and enjoy longer stints on the court, if he didn’t foul so much (second-most personal fouls). He also piles up the turnovers, often from over-dribbling, often from wriggling his new body around the paint and barging his way into unnecessary charge calls. There remains time to stretch his offensive game out to the perimeter. Improving his decision-making as a passer will cut down on his ballhandling errors.

On the Tender, Randle is most suitable in the near-term as a reserve, offering flexibility at the 4 and 5 spots. Rounding out (in a good way) over the long haul will allow him the option of playing and defending the 3 position, too. Ultimately, he’ll need a coach who can help his off-court discipline translate more fully to execution on-court. But after improving his on-court plus-minus from -15.1 to -10.4 two seasons ago, and then to -1.4 last season on a lottery team, in his new pro digs, Randle is primed to make the leap from plus-sized performer to, purely, a plus performer.

Let’s give the lectern back to The Pride of Chapel Hill, @Marvin24Williams!

~lw3

Feet are dragging just a little less. Updated!

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/2/2018 at 5:12 PM, lethalweapon3 said:

In the 8th Round, with the 88th Pick in the 2018 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft, the Lethal Tender selects:

dunn-6-28-2016.jpg

Dunn Da Dunn Dunn DUNN! Whaddya say we use our new draft scouting technology to check into the innermost thoughts of Kristofer Michael Dunn (Point Guard, 6’4”, 210 lbs., Age 24)? On second thought… it’s a little early to be March Madness prognosticating, Kris. That cannot possibly be NC State in your Sweet Sixteen, right? Surely, that’s gotta be Nevada. Yeah, Nevada.

We have an affinity for ball-hawks here in Lethalopolis, and you’ll have a hard time finding one as proficient as this second-year pro. Kris Dunn has a big frame for a point guard. He is also blessed with a wingspan that extends beyond 6-foot-9. That allows his to not merely stay in front of opponents but to dispossess them of the rock as well.

Dunn’s 2.0 steals per game, in his injury-abbreviated sophomore campaign, tied for second in the league, right behind the Tender’s league-leader Victor Oladipo. Oladipo and Dunn ranked 1-and-2, respectively, in steal percentage. Throw in Chris Paul, who leads all active players in per-game thefts, and Tender foes will have a hard time getting the ball across halfcourt, much less setting up their offenses unencumbered.

Of course, you have to be not just a stopper, but an initiator, at the 1-spot. Dunn is showing proficiency in that area as well, his 33.3 assist percentage ranking 11th in the league. In fact, Dunn and the player he now understudies, CP3, are the only players within the league’s Top-15 in both assist and steal percentages, the pair among just a dozen hoopers who averaged at least 15 points and seven dimes per-36. Particularly if Dunn continues his improvement as an off-ball shooter (32.1 3FG%, up from 28.8 3FG% in limited action as a rookie) and enhances his free throw shooting, Chris and Kris may prove to be the best tiny tandem anyone’s seen since the days of Kriss Kross.

His passing proficiency (6.0 APG, 2.9 TOs/game) was all the more encouraging when one searches for the few reliable options he had on his roster last season, the foremost talent being then-rookie Lauri Markkanen, who missed about the same amount of time as Dunn.

Together, Kris and Lauri were the least-effective tandem in the Second City, averaging a net minus-10.5 per 100 possessions. It is argued here, however, that much of that has to do with the deprivation of talent surrounding them, something that won’t be an issue here in Lethalopolis. Here, Dunn can gamble more, knowing that the team defenders around him, like Oladipo and Joel Embiid, won’t collapse.

Down the road, as the savvy Paul gives way to his pupils on the depth chart, Kris and Victor could become the best defensive backcourt in the league, especially under Coach Quin Snyder’s direction. If the offensive skills continue coming along, soon we’ll discover that only Kix Brooks could create more beautiful music alongside Dunn.

You want youth, size, and upside on your roster with improving floor leadership and shooting aplomb? Consider it… Dunn!

Without further ado, let’s keep the ball rolling with the Spud-nacious @Spud2nique!

~lw3

And another one done, and another one done... Updated!

~lw3

• Like 1

With the 135th pick in the draft, the Marvy Marv's select

ERIK SPOELSTRA

020413-erik-spoelstra-e1428689055487.jpg

I took Spoelstra here for his defensive schemes. He's had the Heat in the top 10 in DRTG for the past few years. Offensively he's a hit or miss but I think he'll be fine. Futhermore, he has multiple years of post season experience under his belt. I wanted a coach who has that experience in order to prepare the players better for when that time comes. He also seems to be a solid for player development, as he has turned Josh Richardson, Hassan Whiteside, and Tyler Johnson into rotation worthy players. I'm hoping he'll do wonders for Fox, Russell, JJJ, and Bell in the future. All in all I just thought he was a good balance between contention and player development. There was another coach I had in mind but he doesn't seem very high on playing young players.

@lethalweapon3 you're up!

• Like 3