• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft - Picks and Discussion

AHF

• Moderators

I've been in @Buzzard's and Lt3's situation in past years (ends of the draft) and it is especially excruciating holding out for the habitual pick missers.

I'm just glad we don't have some, like years ago, coming back a week later screaming at the more dedicated among us, "C'mon, give me a break! Some of us have actual LIVES around here!" :rolleyes:

We had one feller a few years back with the first-overall pick who got all the way to the final pick at the end. And never returned. To the entire website. I'm always expecting him to suddenly remember and run in here screaming, "RUBEN BOUMTJE-BOUMTJE!", before logging back off.

~lw3

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I've been in @Buzzard's and Lt3's situation in past years (ends of the draft) and it is especially excruciating holding out for the habitual pick missers.

I'm just glad we don't have some, like years ago, coming back a week later screaming at the more dedicated among us, "C'mon, give me a break! Some of us have actual LIVES around here!" :rolleyes:

We had one feller a few years back with the first-overall pick who got all the way to the final pick at the end. And never returned. To the entire website. I'm always expecting him to suddenly remember and run in here screaming, "RUBEN BOUMTJE-BOUMTJE!", before logging back off.

~lw3

This is not the only time I have been on or near the bookends and you are right. It only takes two or three misses to turn this into a eternity to get your pick in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

And here is @kg01 losing his mind about the MLK game...and a lil Kenny Atkinson...that’s how I envisioned it anyways..a guy with this much passion deserves ❤️ everywhere imo.

This captures my essence perfectly after seeing the no-ATL MLK schedule.  I was like, "Hol' me bak, kg03!  Hol' me bak!"

Anyways, I'll let you guys get back to your group fantasy ... whatever this is .... {backs away slowly.}

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

This captures my essence perfectly after seeing the no-ATL MLK schedule.  I was like, "Hol' me bak, kg03!  Hol' me bak!"

Anyways, I'll let you guys get back to your group fantasy ... whatever this is .... {backs away slowly.}

? group fantasy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

~lw3

? what the...

• Moderators

Looks like I'm on the clock so let's keep this rolling.  Ashley and I think we have hit the sweet spot for a coach at this stage of the draft.  There were a couple on our list of elite NBA coaches who were around when we picked last and now that we are down to a single one we figure to pull the trigger.  

Before we made the rule change about limiting the field to current NBA coaches, we were doing some scouting with a broader net of candidates:

john-calipari-245x300.jpg  mug_ashleyjudd.jpg

"Sorry, Ashley.  No college coaches allowed this year!"

But we have our eyes set on a different coach.  A man of intensity and intellectual rigor known for his innovations and flexibility.  Time to bring home:

Rick Carlisle

tenor.gif

Carlisle pictured above celebrating his first NBA COY award.

Carlisle developed his coaching chops serving as an assistant under a handful of successful coaches, including several seasons under Chuck Daly.  He eventually became a head coach first in Detroit, then in Indiana where he was hired by Larry Bird after Bird promptly fired Isiah Thomas and upgraded the Pacer's bench.  Since then he has been the leader for the Dallas Mavericks - including leading them twice to the finals and to a ring over prime King James. Bosh and Wade.

dal_g_carlisle02_200.jpg

Over 17 years as a head coach, Rick has only had 3 losing seasons and is well respected for being among the most versatile coaches in NBA history.  He has run great offensive teams, defensive teams, and a variety of systems all based around not his pet scheme but around what is best suited for the players on his roster.  Carlisle is an advocate for his team and knows how to pull the levers to get them movitated and focused.  For example, to get his team pumped up for what would be its biggest win of the season (a 39 point destruction of the Bulls) Carlisle pulled out an oldie but a goodie:

Rick Carlisle: “I just saw Robin Lopez in the hall and told him Dirk was going to beat the s— out of him. True story.”

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-rick-carlisle-hilariously-trash-talked-robin-lopez/

As for X's and O's, Carlisle may be the best the NBA has to offer.  He has played a variety of innovative schemes in the playoffs designed to maximize his team's underdog talent and overcome talent deficits such as his innovative zone against James to bog down a much more stacked Miami squad and a more recent extreme slow down against the 2016 OKC Thunder to steal a playoff game in a series where they never even should have been close (OKC scored 25 fewer points to give the Mavs the victory).  He has run uptempo offenses and as many different actions as he has run teams.  With our squad, we think he will have the tools to take the matchups in a variety of different directions which will put the game on our terms.

Rick-Carlisle.jpg

We are excited to have him -- so welcome aboard Coach Carlisle!

@capstone21 is on the clock

Coach:    Rick Carlisle        
PG:    Kyle Lowry    Goran Dragic    
SG:    James Harden    Markelle Fultz    
SF:    DeMar DeRozan    Andrew Wiggins    Andre Roberson
PF:    Draymond Green    Dario Saric    
C:     Rudy Gobert    Deandre Ayton    

• Like 2

• Admin

With the next pick Capstone's Crew selects:

Derrick Favors C/PF

favors.jpg

Only 27, this kid is already a veteran.  We get a versatile center and power forward and can fill either spot in a pinch.  Playing in a solid system, Derrick has shown the ability to be a solid defender and rebounder.  He also brings quality low post offense.  He has a mid range game that is a work in progress but he is constantly working to improve it.  We are excited to bring this guy in.

@TheNorthCydeRises is up

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Derrick Favors C/PF

favors.jpg

Only 27, this kid is already a veteran.  We get a versatile center and power forward and can fill either spot in a pinch.  Playing in a solid system, Derrick has shown the ability to be a solid defender and rebounder.  He also brings quality low post offense.  He has a mid range game that is a work in progress but he is constantly working to improve it.  We are excited to bring this guy in.

@TheNorthCydeRises is up

That was my top guy! It was a coin toss between him and Cauley-Stein last round and I could not believe that he kept dropping. Steal this late.

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Derrick Favors C/PF

favors.jpg

@TheNorthCydeRises is up

Literally my next guy...in like 11 picks ...nice pick Favors is a hard hat guy who grew up under the original hard hat guy in Sap. Can’t go wrong with him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Looks like I'm on the clock so let's keep this rolling.  Ashley and I think we have hit the sweet spot for a coach at this stage of the draft.  There were a couple on our list of elite NBA coaches who were around when we picked last and now that we are down to a single one we figure to pull the trigger.  

Before we made the rule change about limiting the field to current NBA coaches, we were doing some scouting with a broader net of candidates:

john-calipari-245x300.jpg  mug_ashleyjudd.jpg

"Sorry, Ashley.  No college coaches allowed this year!"

But we have our eyes set on a different coach.  A man of intensity and intellectual rigor known for his innovations and flexibility.  Time to bring home:

Rick Carlisle

tenor.gif

Carlisle pictured above celebrating his first NBA COY award.

Carlisle developed his coaching chops serving as an assistant under a handful of successful coaches, including several seasons under Chuck Daly.  He eventually became a head coach first in Detroit, then in Indiana where he was hired by Larry Bird after Bird promptly fired Isiah Thomas and upgraded the Pacer's bench.  Since then he has been the leader for the Dallas Mavericks - including leading them twice to the finals and to a ring over prime King James. Bosh and Wade.

dal_g_carlisle02_200.jpg

Over 17 years as a head coach, Rick has only had 3 losing seasons and is well respected for being among the most versatile coaches in NBA history.  He has run great offensive teams, defensive teams, and a variety of systems all based around not his pet scheme but around what is best suited for the players on his roster.  Carlisle is an advocate for his team and knows how to pull the levers to get them movitated and focused.  For example, to get his team pumped up for what would be its biggest win of the season (a 39 point destruction of the Bulls) Carlisle pulled out an oldie but a goodie:

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-rick-carlisle-hilariously-trash-talked-robin-lopez/

As for X's and O's, Carlisle may be the best the NBA has to offer.  He has played a variety of innovative schemes in the playoffs designed to maximize his team's underdog talent and overcome talent deficits such as his innovative zone against James to bog down a much more stacked Miami squad and a more recent extreme slow down against the 2016 OKC Thunder to steal a playoff game in a series where they never even should have been close (OKC scored 25 fewer points to give the Mavs the victory).  He has run uptempo offenses and as many different actions as he has run teams.  With our squad, we think he will have the tools to take the matchups in a variety of different directions which will put the game on our terms.

Rick-Carlisle.jpg

We are excited to have him -- so welcome aboard Coach Carlisle!

@capstone21 is on the clock

Coach:    Rick Carlisle        
PG:    Kyle Lowry    Goran Dragic    
SG:    James Harden    Markelle Fultz    
SF:    DeMar DeRozan    Andrew Wiggins    Andre Roberson
PF:    Draymond Green    Dario Saric    
C:     Rudy Gobert    Deandre Ayton    

My coach if somebody had taken Kenny Atkinson. No joke and I know everyone says so n so was next on my list but literally the next coach was Carlisle and the next player was Favors. Also I was debating Carlisle over Kenny due to his 2002 coach of the year award with the Pistons and this... HIS TWIN!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Whoa.  Didn't know I was up.  Gotta PM me.  Sometimes I don't check all of the notifications, but if I got a PM, I check it.

It is what it is. I will not be looking to get a pick in today/tonight but hopefully we can get into the next round tomorrow.

Hmmm . . . who can coach this squad?

PG - Lonzo - Lou Williams

G - T. Evans - Ingles

F - Lebron - Kuzma

PF - Porzingis - Carter Jr

C - Cousins - Bagley - Howard

Image result for lavar ball coach

Hmmmm . . . maybe.  But I think we'll go another route.

With the 141st selection in the Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft . . . the Northcyde Ballers select the 2018 NBA Coach of the Year

DWANE CASEY

Image result for dwayne casey coach

We here in the organization know a good coach when we see one.  All he did was be the head honcho of 3 of the best Raptor teams in franchise history.   He took a team that was down in the dumps after losing their Hall of Famer - Chris Bosh - and steadily led them to the top half of the Eastern Conference playoff seeds.    And I'm sorry, when the only guy you're losing to in the playoff is Lebron James, you get a pass.

Sorry Lavar, but Casey has the temperament to coach this great mix of veterans and young guys.  And after you made these comments . .

. . we really can't trust you coaching the team.  Casey has won 166 games in the past 3 seasons, so we'll roll with him.

We we CAN DO, Lavar, is make you Director of Marketing for the Northcyde brand.  We do admire what you have done with your independent brand, despite the lofty expectations placed on yourself.   You take care of the marketing, but leave the coaching to Mr. Casey.

@JayBirdHawk you are up ma'am.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

With the 142nd Selection in the 2018 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft The Lady JayBurds select  :  

F Jonathan Judah Isaac

After an  injury riddled rookie season, I'm expecting a big bounce back year . At 6-foot-11 and 205 pounds with a 7-foot-1 wingspan, he was a raw bundle of limbs with an absurd combination of length, athleticism, and skill. Considering how painfully skinny he was for a frontcourt player in the NBA, it’s not surprising that he wound up getting hurt as a rookie. Only 20 years old, Isaac is still growing into his frame, and he has benefited from spending the offseason in an NBA strength and conditioning program. He is now weighed in at 222 pounds. The most intriguing thing about Isaac is his defensive versatility. 

Isaac is a wing who happens to be nearly 7 feet tall. He is still figuring out just how good he can be on offense. It’s a work in progress. A tight handle doesn’t come easy with such long limbs, and there are times when Isaac struggles to create separation against athletic defenders. However, even when a defender is draped all over him, he’s still so long that he can elevate over them and create a clean look at the basket. Isaac has been making pull-up jumpers off the dribble and step-back jumpers out of the post in Vegas. 

I see good things for him.

The Lady JayBurds:

Coach Mike 'Flew the Coop' Budenholzer

G: Kemba Walker, Dejounte Murray

SG: Devin Booker, Gary Harris

SF: Taurean Prince, Kevin Knox

PF: Giannis Antetokuonmpo, Bam Adebayo, Jonathan Isaac

C: Jusuf Nurkic, Jarrett Allen