Preseason Game #5: Hawks vs Heat 10/12/18

JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Hopefully he can get his shooting stoke back.

He's playing like a typical rookie right now....scared.  It's real obvious he's timid.  Only playing time fixes that. It'll happen in practice. Something good will happen, he'll get the right moment, right feedback and he'll relax.  He's 19.  Trae is just otherworldly with his poise...its not normal. What Huerter is doing right now is normal. I'm thinking summer league would have really helped.

• Like 2

Still need to watch the second half after getting back from Dubs Lakers late last night but was very impressed with the first half.

Fav play: Trae whipping a left handed swing pass to Baze who trailed for a knockdown 3. 

Trae always has his head up ready to pass. Even when (Carter, I think) inbounded the ball to Trae in the backcourt, he heaved a pass to the paint to find Len, Len couldn’t do much with it but to have a guy as unselfish as Trae to lead us, is a blessing. Everything I’ve ever wanted in a point guard, and all I had to do was wait 34 years... ? 

ps Huerter looks solid, they went at him a few times on D but that’s what is going to happen, he will get tested on D every night this season.

Can’t wait to watch the 2nd half!!!

LETS GO HAWKS!!!

• Like 1

A couple of fun notes about the other rookies we might have drafted.

Luka had 18/4/4 on 6-14fg but guess who was on him for many of his highlights? That’s right! The duck ? Marvin quack quack Williams so we can throw this one out real quick.

JJJ shot 7-9 fg for 18 points..not bad..concerning part, he had

0 rebounds

0 assists

The good doctor is choking on it right now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

A couple of fun notes about the other rookies we might have drafted.

Luka had 18/4/4 on 6-14fg but guess who was on him for many of his highlights? That’s right! The duck ? Marvin quack quack Williams so we can throw this one out real quick.

JJJ shot 7-9 fg for 18 points..not bad..concerning part, he had

0 rebounds

0 assists

The good doctor is choking on it right now. 

I think both look pretty good, certainly no better than Young though. I can't shake the lack of upside with Luka, and what I still don't like about JJJ is his lack of playmaking.

• Like 1

Only watched the first half but Imma echo what everyone says and say I'm excited. Loving Pierce too, if he just looked awful this season would be much less bearable, but the Hawks will be fun to watch at the very least. And I'm getting a Trae jersey next paycheck.

3 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

I think both look pretty good, certainly no better than Young though. I can't shake the lack of upside with Luka, and what I still don't like about JJJ is his lack of playmaking.

Even if their careers are even with Young’s,  neither come with an extra lottery pick attached ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

Only watched the first half but Imma echo what everyone says and say I'm excited. Loving Pierce too, if he just looked awful this season would be much less bearable, but the Hawks will be fun to watch at the very least. And I'm getting a Trae jersey next paycheck.

Just now, hazer said:

Even if their careers are even with Young’s,  neither come with an extra lottery pick attached ?

Obvious choice here:

JJJ

Luka

Trae + extra lottery pick

• Like 1

Great post by alot of the squawkers I wish I had many more likes but I'll just say it. My recap overall of the game is we look good. Real good. Alot better than expected. To see our starters turn up a gear before the 2nd half to end their nights on a good note was a plus. The most exciting part about that is we are actually missing 2 of our real starters in Collins and Dedmon. 

Our bench 2nd and 3rd unit did a pretty good job against alot of the Heats key players. The Heat took the momentum back with their starters in the 2nd half but our bench/3rd string and waived players actually still made a game of it and even made it look like they would take the lead and get the win a time or 2 in the forth.

We are playing like this and honestly nobody had a particular good/great game. Sure it wasn't a bad game especially from our starters but they all left room for improvement in this game. Trae looked the best this game in his limited minutes but nothing particularly special to Trae's standards. If our so so games can look this good and our backups can hang with a lot of teams starters this team and season is going to be very special. We lost but if Bembry, Dorsey or Spellman would have been more on par with their game they could have easily gave us the control and got us the win over these Heat. 

The most exciting thing is you can tell everyone on our team was taking it kind of light in order to stay healthy when the season starts. The fact that we are still scoring this high no matter who's on the court is promising until our defense catches up. It's also promising that none of our are players have played anywhere close so far to putting up their best season performances.

Summary overall kudos to Pierce for making this team not look as young and sloppy as expected. This is going to be an exciting year and overall run for our young talented core. We are deeper than Philly as far as young talent. I think when it's all said and done our draft picks/talent will be better or atleast up to par with Boston's. The rest of the East is a little older or doesn't have as much young talent as we do. The Warriors are in there late 20's early 30's so their reign won't last forever. That also goes for Houston and other dominating figures like LeBron and Durant. There is alot of young talent in this league but besides guys like Giannis, AD, Embiid and Portizingis( The Unicorns) there are not too many opposing forces to claim the league/conference. Brighter Days Are Ahead Of Us And They Will Come Sooner Than Later. Super Excited About Our Squad, Coach, GM, Ownership,  Arena, This Up And Coming Season And Most Importantly THE FUTURE OF OUR ATLANTA HAWKS!!