• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Was Josh Smith ahead of his time?

Wurider05

• Moderators
2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

He was a mess ... didn't follow the game plan ... chucked way too many threes ... kinda avoided going inside much ... tried to dribble too much and (although I appreciated that he was such a willing passer) made a TON of bad turnovers.

When you're told by ownership that you are the next best thing that the league has to LeBron James, it's no wonder why he did whatever he pleased on the court. Ill-advised long 2's and 3 balls.  He was drafted for his athleticism and dynamic play, but was molded into shooter that couldn't shoot.  J-Smoove being let go was the best day I ever had as a Hawks fan and the worse day I ever had as a Pistons fan. lol

• Admin
When you're told by ownership that you are the next best thing that the league has to LeBron James, it's no wonder why he did whatever he pleased on the court. Ill-advised long 2's and 3 balls.  He was drafted for his athleticism and dynamic play, but was molded into shooter that couldn't shoot.  J-Smoove being let go was the best day I ever had as a Hawks fan and the worse day I ever had as a Pistons fan. lol

I couldn’t have been happier... I was never a fan of him and signing Milsap after was just a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, hawkman said:

He gets a lot of hate around here, but he's one of my favorites Hawks players of all time. Yes he was ahead of his time. The same people who rode him over taking threes had no problem with Pero taking threes. Don't @me.

This josh was a flawed player but he still was one of my faves. Never could put it all in ogether but he didn’t exactly coast either.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Josh had such a varied skill set but he never understod where his strength lied, he settled and it cost him.

Pero was a scrub with limited offensive skills, so I don't understand the comparison.

Not to mention that Pero was just a blip on the radar screen around here. I mean come on,  the best person you have to throw under the bus for Smooves sake is friggin Pero?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I kinda feel like 35% is the benchmark. If you're below that number for your career then maybe you're not that good a three point shooter.

The math....33% on 3's = 50% on 2's. 6 shots of each still = 6 points.  So from a very simple metric, 33% = shooting 50% form the floor. But this does not tell the whole story.

3's lead to long rebounds which is very similar to a turnover.

Point Guard drives to the basket has 2 competing results. Misses by the guard either equals an offensive rebound as the Point draws the big and leaves his big open to box out or B, pulls the point out of the big court and requires rotation to the top of the key by a guard/forward or the defensive rebound equals an outlet pass.  But remember, that is only on 1/2 of shots and the results compete.  But 3 pointers are misses 2/3rds of the time and typically lead to a long rebound and transition. You 35 number might even be a bit low and should be closer to 38 to 40% to even out the negative results of a miss.  

• Like 1

On the subject of Josh, he shot 28.5% from 3 for his career and only hit 33% twice.  His career as a Hawk is 15.3 pts, 8 rebs, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals and 2.1 blocks per game. All the while he played above average defense. He was statistically one of the best Hawks of recent memory.  He doesn't really get his due.  His real downfall and the reason for the 3's was a decline in athleticism. His game was always based on hops. Once his knees and hips started to decline, so did he.

22 hours ago, AHF said:

They would need to be unprotected - couldn’t be a situation where they convert into seconds or evaporate.  Houston is desperate.  Sounds like a solid gamble to me but one that only a GM with the longterm Interest of his team could do.  Not sure that is the case in Minny.

This is Team Suicide! Didn't they learn anything from Brooklyn? smh

Josh Smith must have also been deaf, because every game I went to where he jacked up those long twos or ill-advised threes, the entire arena would let out a very audible groan or just straight up shout "No!" But he just kept doing it, and then acted dumbfounded when he was 'Let go.'

Had a decent game otherwise, not sure why he insisted on those low percentage shots (especially low for him). Should have stuck to his strengths, might still be in the NBA instead of Bulgaria or China or Lichtenstein or wherever he is now.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

Josh Smith must have also been deaf, because every game I went to where he jacked up those long twos or ill-advised threes, the entire arena would let out a very audible groan or just straight up shout "No!" But he just kept doing it, and then acted dumbfounded when he was 'Let go.'

Had a decent game otherwise, not sure why he insisted on those low percentage shots (especially low for him). Should have stuck to his strengths, might still be in the NBA instead of Bulgaria or China or Lichtenstein or wherever he is now.

I was at his last game as a Hawk and it was a pitiful way to go out. I was there with my mom and sister who didn’t know anything about the NBA and even they were joining in on the groans.

• Like 2