• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good article on Young

Brotha2ThaNite

16 minutes ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

That first and the second paragraph have me giving the side eye.  Luka is def more efficient on offense right now.  However, we don't know who has the higher upside yet.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Many were expecting Luka to be ROY because of his experience playing with European professionals already. He was a kid playing with grown men then and is now in the NBA. Trae is just now getting used to being a kid playing with grown men in this his rookie year and he's hanging in there better than most expected including me.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 11/10/2018 at 9:57 AM, turnermx said:

Many were expecting Luka to be ROY because of his experience playing with European professionals already. He was a kid playing with grown men then and is now in the NBA. Trae is just now getting used to being a kid playing with grown men in this his rookie year and he's hanging in there better than most expected including me.

People had different reads on this.  Some people said Luka would be exposed because he would get destroyed with his subpar athleticism and playing in Europe had just masked his woeful tools.  Some people said he had played the highest level of competition and this would have him best prepared to handle NBA ball akin to what you wrote above.  The other major viewpoint was that his unprecedented success against pros in the world's second best league was a good indicator of his high potential. 

I was in the last group.  Luka is roughly half a year younger than Trae so both of these guys have a lot of growth ahead of them and plenty of adjustments yet to be made.  Both are looking to have star potential for their ceiling and a very high floor as at least a plus starter/borderline All-Star.  I think both Dallas and Atlanta are going to be pretty happy with what they did this draft.

• Like 3

Luka is better.

-Non Player Character commenting on anything involving Trae Young without even reading the article or being human or knowing what basketball is or knowing what names are or how to make popcorn or what it's like to experience breathing.

(my reply is not meant for anyone on this forum, I assure you)

Luka has a lot more talent around him than Trae does. I’m not hating on luka he’s fhz better player right now but I still believe Trae has a higher ceiling as a scorer in this league.

most of traes shots are difficult due to lack of other ball handlers and passers around him. Luka don’t have that problem as he has smith jr, Barnes, barrea around ....all these guys can dribble, shoot, pass at a decent level or well enough to were the offense isn’t so much on doncic.

hawks on the other hand offense flows solely on a rookies (Trae) shoulders on most nights! Hell at times all our rookies are outshining some our vets. 

I just don’t believe doncic has the same kind of pressure Trae Young has with their current rosters. If you ask me the way doncic is so hyped up he should be good enough to get that mavs team in the playoffs but as a team they are barely better than us however on a talent level they surpass us by far! Give Trae that talent with that coach and I bet they’d be pushing for a 8th seed.

• Premium Member

Doncic has far more pressure on him than Young. He's the highest rated Euro prospect in the history of basketball. His team gave up a lottery pick to move up to get him. He is half a year younger than Young. He's already outplaying Young. The pressure on him to prove he was worth it is far heavier than Young. No one expected Young to be some kind of franchise savior and he wouldn't have been even a top five pick in this draft if we weren't in the top five.

This was a good article. Young needs more talent around him to take advantage of what he can do. Hopefully the next two drafts coming up after this year will give him that help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Got some Young-talk on NBARadio this morning.

Much to the chagrin of ... some folks here, it was very positive.

Isola and Scalabrine said he's a good young player.  Were pleasantly surprised at his passes which both classify as elite.  Loved the Nashty 'probe-dribble' and passes to Len for the dunks.

Isola said, "Alex Len, who in his 4 years in Phoenix, never scored a point ... dunked over Javale McGee and Lebron off Trae Young's pass!"  I chuckled.

Both pondered whether or not Young played soccer as a youth considering his Nashty (yeah, I making that a thing) understanding of angles.

I'm paraphrasing but both said our game vs LAL was must-watch stuff and that the Hawks are well worth watching because of Young.

Neither expected him to succeed but, unlike some folks here, they actually watched him play and didn't allow their biases to cloud their judgment in gauging his actual play.

I'll go listen to the show later today.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, marco102 said:

Stop this.  There is pressure on Young because he'll forever be compared to Luka.  Some in this fan base, you included, would be calling him a bust if he wasn't playing at a comparable level to Doncic.  He's clearly a top 5 pick as ofnow, I know, small sample size, from the way he's playing.  

Generally, the expectations for a top 5 pick is a franchise player.  So far, both Doncic and Young have proven they are worth their picks. 

Right now, Doncic is shooting and rebounding better than Trae.  I don't ever think Trae will catch Doncic as far as rebounding, but I believe Trae has better vision and his shooting will catch up.  

It's going to be a tight rookie of the year race, if the voters remain objective.  

You can't possibly think Young has more pressure on him then an even younger player who has been touted as the best Euro prospect in the history of basketball. There's literally no comparison. I'm not saying Young has no pressure but to compare the two is just silly.

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

They are both young prospects with varying degrees and different types of pressures.

I think both teams are happy with the guy they have.

If by "varying" you mean one is the best Euro prospect in the history of the sport and the other is just a regular prospect taken in the draft then yes, much variance. :cool:

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Why do you have to throw shade at Young?  That's the problem I have with your comment.  I  highlighted exactly what I was responding to.  

Young isn't just a regular prospect to be taken in the draft.  He's the only freshmen ever taken to lead the NCAA in points and assists ( I know turnovers too).   

There are many more doubters of Young's transition to the NBA than Luka's.  They both have pressure to perform up to their draft status.  Arguing about who has more is just subjective. 

Young has proven you wrong that he's not Jimmy Fredette  and you still can't resist demeaning him.