• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Las Vegas Summer League Thread

JayBirdHawk

3 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Oh you never heard the stories?

I’ve heard some stories but which specifically are you indicating. Like the competition between the two or a resentment that was written back then which may or may not be true? I’m not doubting just curious. 

Remembering that locker room wise Spud became the bigger problem. If Hawks won but Spud didn't play heavy minutes he sat off to the side when interviews took place and talked to no one. Affected a few folks and announcers actually talked about it then. Those were the stories I remember more than Willis ones. Took management a while but Spud went North.

• Like 1

well all of it.  Healthy competition on and off the court led to on court dysfunction and competition for the ball.   It eventually made coach have to play them staggered to keep the offense flowing.   But, they are and were good friends.

• Like 1

Remember seeing Willis at the skating rink down there and being stunned at how incredibly muscled up the guy was. Absolutely huge. In the Omni, players were pretty much a mile away (yeah I am not so rich then or now so was a few feet away). He actually ran track up until early college up North. Stunning athlete and a great player for us. Scary leather shop he had rolling as well. Everyone of course was really big in the shop. Go figure.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Remembering that locker room wise Spud became the bigger problem. If Hawks won but Spud didn't play heavy minutes he sat off to the side when interviews took place and talked to no one. Affected a few folks and announcers actually talked about it then. Those were the stories I remember more than Willis ones. Took management a while but Spud went North.

Spud has a gripe. Why not run Spud, Doc at the 2, then Wilkins Willis and Koncak. I liked John Battle but spud 🥔 change the dimension of the offense back then. If I remember correctly everytime he came in the game, players seem to move and the ball would swing from side to side. Nique would get looks and Willis would get easy O board outback dunks. Specially at home. Skip Carey and Rick Barry then d*ck Versace and so on..On TBS baby! How’s that for a trip down memory lane. 

Spud moved to Sacramento I kid you not I bought a Kings starter cap. I was 14 and would refuse to realize Spud was gone. I almost went to Arco Arena to watch him but we lived 200 miles away.

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas said:

Remember seeing Willis at the skating rink down there and being stunned at how incredibly muscled up the guy was. Absolutely huge. In the Omni, players were pretty much a mile away (yeah I am not so rich then or now so was a few feet away). He actually ran track up until early college up North. Stunning athlete and a great player for us. Scary leather shop he had rolling as well. Everyone of course was really big in the shop. Go figure.  

❤️ these stories from the OG’s like yourself. I was a teen and don’t remember it all. Focused on my studies and ummm 😐... ya..more amusing things that teens are into at that age. 😉 

Ps Don’t get it twisted though I still would do hand written projections of stats of Nique, K Will, Doc and the rest on paper 📝 (note paper made from 🌲’s).

• Premium Member

@Peoriabird

I know there was a reason why Bruno couldn't play SL if trade is delayed. The #57 pick we got from NOP as part of the trade up for #4 was sent to Philly for Bruno.  I just couldn't remember the specific details off hand, had to look it up.

The draft rights of No. 4 pick De’Andre Hunter and No. 34 pick Bruno Fernando were reportedly acquired by the team in a series of trades the team made to move up, down, and all around the draft. Hunter’s rights will be acquired from New Orleans as soon as the Pelicans get them from the Los Angeles Lakers, while the Hawks will take part of what they receive (along with Hunter) from New Orleans and send that to Philadelphia for the rights to Fernando.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Peoriabird

I know there was a reason why Bruno couldn't play SL if trade is delayed. The #57 pick we got from NOP as part of the trade up for #4 was sent to Philly for Bruno.  I just couldn't remember the specific details off hand, had to look it up.

You're right...I forgot about that pick

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Zion looks fat!

You know.....my first thought was he looks 'big'.....kinda looks like he's needs some ab work.

He probably hasn't played any meaningful bball since march madness.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You know.....my first thought was he looks 'big'.....kinda looks like he's needs some ab work.

He probably hasn't played any meaningful bball since march madness.

I think he will have conditioning issues his entire career.  And don't let him get a Knee injury...I will be over!