• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Las Vegas Summer League Thread

JayBirdHawk

I couldn't make myself watch this one with a still clearly overweight Spellman being the only guy on the court. Fingers crossed for Hunter and Bruno tomorrow. 

It was mildly interesting to see Parsons there. 

One SL game in the books for us and the only thing that immediately comes to mind for me is it all starts in the kitchen. Talking to you Omari. Please let the rooks play Big Brother.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

One SL game in the books for us and the only thing that immediately comes to mind for me is it all starts in the kitchen. Talking to you Omari. Please let the rooks play Big Brother.

Abs are made in the kitchen. OG is wise indeed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Is it time to overreact already?

Yes.

Because Omari is a 2nd year player.  I fully expect rookies to struggle somewhat, but not guys who have been through a NBA / G-League season.

Collins had a very nice 2017 Summer League.  In 2018, he looked like a superstar in his first game.

You always want to see if players have added to their game in year 2.  Hopefully Omari will have a much better game 2.  If he looks the same as last year at the end of this Summer League, he's going to need A LOT of work.  Hawks can't afford to be spending 3 years on guys who are slowly developing, and can barely crack a rotation.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yes.

Because Omari is a 2nd year player.  I fully expect rookies to struggle somewhat, but not guys who have been through a NBA / G-League season.

Collins had a very nice 2017 Summer League.  In 2018, he looked like a superstar in his first game.

You always want to see if players have added to their game in year 2.  Hopefully Omari will have a much better game 2.  If he looks the same as last year at the end of this Summer League, he's going to need A LOT of work.  Hawks can't afford to be spending 3 years on guys who are slowly developing, and can barely crack a rotation.

How is he going to improve upon his lack of mobility, over weight state and lack of length?  Out of the League in 3-4 years.  Our Front court is so weak this year!

Omari played better against NBA talent last regular season and during his time in the G-League. I have no reason to think that as bad as he was today, its more indicative than the pro season he already has in the books. I think he had an off game and will likely bounce back. 

Also, I dont have terribly high expectations for him anyway. He seems like a solid player but I wasnt anticipating him to be a difference maker. I will, however, go on record saying that Bruno is going to surprise a lot of yal. I think that kid has a few niche skills already that will translate immediately to the pro's. Omari, however, does not have any niche skills outside of his nice looking shooting motion, but until he converts those it doesn't matter,

The sky isnt falling on him though. He has time to make a lot of us forget about today. If he has a couple more games like this, then its time to worry,

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Omari played better against NBA talent last regular season and during his time in the G-League. I have no reason to think that as bad as he was today, its more indicative than the pro season he already has in the books. I think he had an off game and will likely bounce back. 

Also, I dont have terribly high expectations for him anyway. He seems like a solid player but I wasnt anticipating him to be a difference maker. I will, however, go on record saying that Bruno is going to surprise a lot of yal. I think that kid has a few niche skills already that will translate immediately to the pro's. Omari, however, does not have any niche skills outside of his nice looking shooting motion, but until he converts those it doesn't matter,

The sky isnt falling on him though. He has time to make a lot of us forget about today. If he has a couple more games like this, then its time to worry,

We have 4 front court players on the roster period and Spellman is one of them.  Last year we had the luxury of Dedmon and Len.  This year back up duties fall on Spellman and he isn't good.  He didn't put the time in like he should have this summer which is disappointing.  Still can finish in traffic, terrible at posting, too slow on defense and didn't lose any weight to improve his athleticism.  And if he can't hit his outside shot, he is totally useless!:mad: You can continue to have low expectation of this organization and try and drag other down into that rabbit hole with you as much as you want.  But I will not allow anyone to tell me not to expect the players and the organization to act like winners.  Schlenk needs to fix this team and his players need to be held accountable.

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Our Front court is so weak this year!

I disagree, we arent weak, we just lack depth. JC is already putting up All-Star numbers, that alone carries the weight from Len who is either love em' or hate em'. I like Len a lot though, and think he can take another step up this year. His numbers as a starter were not bad at all. And I'm on the early bandwagon of Fernando obviously. 

Just for comparison sake for those that hate Len

Player  A per 36 mins last year; 16.9 pts, 8.4 rebs, 1.6 blks, 36% 3pfg

Player B per 36 mins: 19.9 pts, 9.9 rebs, 1.6 blks, 36% 3pfg

One of those players is Alex Len, and the other just signed a contract for $109 million over 4 years and is widely considered a difference maker and key piece to a championship contender.

Just a little perspective 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I disagree, we arent weak, we just lack depth. JC is already putting up All-Star numbers, that alone carries the weight from Len who is either love em' or hate em'. I like Len a lot though, and think he can take another step up this year. His numbers as a starter were not bad at all. And I'm on the early bandwagon of Fernando obviously. 

Just for comparison sake for those that hate Len

Player  A per 36 mins last year; 16.9 pts, 8.4 rebs, 1.6 blks, 36% 3pfg

Player B per 36 mins: 19.9 pts, 9.9 rebs, 1.6 blks, 36% 3pfg

One of those players is Alex Len, and the other just signed a contract for $109 million over 4 years and is widely considered a difference maker and key piece to a championship contender.

Just a little perspective 

The Suns basically just let him walk!  We sign him for peanuts.  You watch him play and he is totally under whelming.  Y'all keep throwing up these per 36 number like the player would remain productive for 36 minutes.  If you throw Plumlee's per 36 minutes up there I guarantee you they would be equal or better.  Keep on fooling yourself!  You will find out soon enough when we get beat like a drum not only by centers like Vucevic but guards driving the lane at will like last year

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We have 4 front court players on the roster period and Spellman is one of them.  Last year we had the luxury of Dedmon and Len.  This year back up duties fall on Spellman and he isn't good.  He didn't put the time in like he should have this summer which is disappointing.  Still can finish in traffic, terrible at posting, too slow on defense and didn't lose any weight to improve his athleticism.  And if he can't hit his outside shot, he is totally useless!:mad: You can continue to have low expectation of this organization and try and drag other down into that rabbit hole with you as much as you want.  But I will not allow anyone to tell me not to expect the players and the organization to act like winners.  Schlenk needs to fix this team and his players need to be held accountable.

Im not counting on Spellman to be the back up center. I believe Fernando will take that spot. Now, as far as back up PF goes, Hunter will take some spot minutes from him as a small ball four. Spellman will play about as much as Parsons does for us this year. Im not worried about it. This is a year to see how the guys fit in to specific roles. You have to see if Spellman can give you 6 mins of hustle each half. Collins only played 30 mins a game last year, you have to see if he can stay on the floor for 36 or so and still be effective, Its not about low expectations its about objective expectation. If you think we are filling in the roster  to build a winner then you will be disappointed. If there is a gap and a young guy on the roster at that position, he is going to get the chance to prove himself and play through mistakes over signing a vet. Injury will be the only variable that changes this. So sit back and get ready to watch Spellman get his little 12 mins or less a game this year, it aint gone hurt nobody

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

So sit back and get ready to watch Spellman get his little 12 mins or less a game this year, it aint gone hurt nobody

Until Len or John Collins gets injured or just in foul trouble.  John Collins missed a third of the season last year.

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Suns basically just let him walk!  We sign him for peanuts.  You watch him play and he is totally under whelming.  Y'all keep throwing up these per 36 number like the player would remain productive for 36 minutes.  If you throw Plumlee's per 36 minutes up there I guarantee you they would be equal or better.  Keep on fooling yourself!  You will find out soon enough when we get beat like a drum not only by centers like Vucevic but guards driving the lane at will like last year

Im talking production and production only.

And because you predictably want to throw away per 36 numbers, same 2 players:

Player A 29 mins per game, 13.6 pts, 6.7 rebs. 1.3 blks

Player B 20 mins per game 11.1 pts, 5.1 rebs, 1 blk

both 36% from 3 point range.

Again, one makes 27 million a year, the other is Alex Len, which one you want?

edit: And I want to that Len maintained his level of play when Dedmon was out and he was getting starters minutes. He actually allowed us not to rush Dedmon back and even when wsa healthy, Len maintained starting for a little bit because he warranted the playing time

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Until Len or John Collins gets injured or just in foul trouble.  John Collins missed a third of the season last year.

In which case we will grab somebody off the scrap heap, just like you want to do now. 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

So now I'm being accused of encouraging Schlenk to shop at Walmart...Pretty funny

Well then what do you think we can/should do to address the position right now today besides pick from the guys left available?