• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Las Vegas Summer League Thread

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I swear Omari is Fatter than the first SL game.

I’m more worried than I was before. 😆 I dunno, it’s ur 2nd year and you have to be ready to earn minutes, cant come in sloppy. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Its summer league and we are starting G League talent at both guard spots. The next game should be better. I don't see how any of our guards could shoot any worse. If Trae and Huerter were playing we would have won by double digits.

Translation: The sky is not falling.

The problem I have is why is the staff confused about Adams? It should be clear to them that they should moved on from him but they haven't! They have allowed many cheap alternatives to be signed because for some reason they see something in Adams no one else sees which is troubling.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m more worried than I was before. 😆 I dunno, it’s ur 2nd year and you have to be ready to earn minutes, cant come in sloppy. 

I am somewhat more comfortable with Spellman at power forward. Definitely keeping him away from the center position. Spellman is very skilled but man, who in the heck is his handler?

• Haha 1

hace 26 minutos, Peoriabird dijo:

The problem I have is why is the staff confused about Adams? It should be clear to them that they should move on from but they aren't! They have allowed many cheap alternatives to be signed because for some reason they see something in Adams no one else sees which is troubling.

There are about a dozen of players that can provide much better performance than Adams, the guy is trash. Shaquill Harrison or Frank Mason if we go young, Lin or Mack if we go vet

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Fat guys are fat. Numerous studies have shown it's very hard to keep weight off if you're naturally big. If you want a svelte Spellman, than prepare to be disappointed. But if he is able to play well with the girth then it's all good.

Spellman lost about 50 lbs and was down to 245 his last year in college and looked fantastic. It should be easier for him in the pros because of the superior support staff available.  Zion was a surprise also so maybe it isn't as easy as we think.

12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

One thing about basketball on ANY LEVEL.  If you don't have decent guards who know what they're doing, it makes the game hard for everybody on the floor.  I'm almost to the point that I want to see Hunter just take the ball and see how he can score one on one.

So one of the first plays of the second half he did that. And on queue he though he was facing a zone D and tried to split the zone. But no, it was a quick double team and he dribbled right into it. You could see his frustration when he turned it over.  Didn't upset me one bit though. He was still asking for the ball on the next trip down and learned from it right away.

I was however upset at seeing Adams shooting jumper after jumper short. He had 3 air balls in the game, 2 on 3's, one on a 5 footer. On defense he was making Trae Young look like George Gervin. It honestly looked like Adams was worse, not better than last year in summer league.

Bright side for me was seeing Matt Mooney's effort. A very Matthew Dellavedova'esque effort on D. 5 steals and pesky the whole time. He isn't quick enough to play the point in the NBA and I wish him well but I just wanted to take a moment and say "thank you son, for your effort and grit".  It made this game watchable.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Spellman's current stat line today

3 - 6 FG . . 2 - 2 3FG . . 8pts - 3 rebs - 1 blk - 3 TOs

Not bad.   In a regular season game, I'd take that all day, minus the turnovers.

He finished 16 points on 7 of 12 shooting, 8 boards, 3 blocks.....and was consistently late switching or guarding the lane.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hunter and Bruno get a pass in this game because apparently they did not have 1 practise with the team before the game according to Rowland and it showed with both looking indecisive. They should be much better in the next game.

• Like 3

Right now with Adam's guarantee being so tiny and he just always looks bad no matter what time of year it looks like third string point is Mooney's to lose to me. Certainly hope our staff sees it that way short of another pick up or trade. Pretty fun guy to watch.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hunter and Bruno get a pass in this game because apparently they did not have 1 practise with the team before the game according to Rowland and it showed with both looking indecisive. They should be much better in the next game.

Bruno looked absolutely terrified to shoot the ball outside of 15 feet.  Kid is going to have to get over that playing for CLP. At one point in the game he took a pass wide open at 18, stepped into 15 then kicked it out. I caught myself on the couch mumbling, "no shoot it".

9 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Right now with Adam's guarantee being so tiny and he just always looks bad no matter what time of year it looks like third string point is Mooney's to lose to me. Certainly hope our staff sees it that way short of another pick up or trade. Pretty fun guy to watch.

He's got grit and spit. I'll give him that. No quit in that guy. Not one ounce of healthy fear.

Edited by thecampster

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Haha, so you're saying campster is the dellavadbag of the 'sac?

Kidding, camp.  Wait.  What're you doing, camp?

Ohhh, muh knees!

😆 with the Delly or this guy whose basketball scene 🏀 continues to be underrated..specially the D... 😐 I actually had a guy play D on me like this at the Y a few times...he was new to 🏀...I think he kinda just wanted to graze my 🥜 tho..

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Matt Maloney clone from 2000. 

Wait, we aren’t talking about camp?

😐 

Matt Maloney wasn't as good as Mooney. Mooney sadly came into a NBA where the reqs for PG is much higher than it was in 1994

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Fat guys are fat. Numerous studies have shown it's very hard to keep weight off if you're naturally big. If you want a svelte Spellman, than prepare to be disappointed. But if he is able to play well with the girth then it's all good.

No, it won't be all good. He'll keep getting little injuries that'll keep him on the bench more often than not.

I said before, he needs the Udonis Haslem approach to body transformation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No, it won't be all good. He'll keep getting little injuries that'll keep him on the bench more often than not.

I said before, he needs the Udonis Haslem approach to body transformation.

Yeah I agree.  Zion is an injury basket waiting to hap... oh wait, you're talking about Spellman. 😋

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1