• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Las Vegas Summer League Thread

JayBirdHawk

8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Let's not start that now.  Summer League should be a time in which players who can play, should be able to show whatever their strength is.  They may not play well all around, or the team may lose.  But whatever their strength is as a player should be on full display here.

Like with Trae.  He shot the ball horribly, but you could see that he was an elite passer.  The same thing went for Lonzo Ball a year earlier.  Lonzo put on a show from a passing standpoint.

So for these guys at Summer League, here's what I want to see:

Hunter - ability to defend out on the perimeter and make a fer perimeter shots

Fernando - energy around the basket on both ends

Omari - pick and pop shot making, rebounding

Whether the team wins or loses, this is what should be on display.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but all I'm saying is to take into consideration all of the different constraints (lack of a real offensive system, players trying to play iso-ball each play, players not necessarily being good fits playing together) that go into Summer League. This is why I don't take the Summer League seriously, because all it really is is pickup basketball.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but all I'm saying is to take into consideration all of the different constraints (lack of a real offensive system, players trying to play iso-ball each play, players not necessarily being good fits playing together) that go into Summer League. This is why I don't take the Summer League seriously, because all it really is is pickup basketball.

Still should not prevent you from hitting open shots let alone air ball them

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The 3 Hawks guards are 5 - 31 FG right now with 5 assists.

Next game, I want to see Hunter, Omari, and Fernando just run a 3 man game with each other.  Tell the guards to stand back and shoot if they kick it out to them.   

Honestly, all these gleague dudes need to back off offensively.

I get you want to show yourself but your chances will come in the GL.  Let us use SL to prep the guys who'll get real minutes.

Adams?  Bless his heart but he's just not an NBA player.   That's ok.  A good living can be made in lower leagues.  At this level, just facilitate.

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Honestly, all these gleague dudes need to back off offensively.

I get you want to show yourself but your chances will come in the GL.  Let us use SL to prep the guys who'll get real minutes.

Adams?  Bless his heart but he's just not an NBA player.   That's ok.  A good living can be made in lower leagues.  At this level, just facilitate.

Ur boy Okogie on that play in the first Q flying outta bounce flinging the ball 🏀 was awesome 👏 😆 

• Like 1

Its summer league and we are starting G League talent at both guard spots. The next game should be better. I don't see how any of our guards could shoot any worse. If Trae and Huerter were playing we would have won by double digits.

Translation: The sky is not falling.

Edited by Buzzard

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Summer league sucks this year. Last year was way more entertaining.

Having a playmaker of Trae's caliber running the show makes quite a difference. 

Anyway, I thought it was so-so game for Hunter. He had a nice bucket or two, made some good hustle plays, but looked very much like a rookie in his first game. Bruno had some similar struggles, but it was a very promising start. That first midrange shot reminded me of Collins pulling up in his first SL game. Very smooth and confident. Made some big defensive plays, made some nice passes. If he can find some consistency with that 3pt shot then Len's going to have a fight on his hands for the starting spot sooner rather than later.

And solid game for Omari. Maybe he heard the broadcast talking about him. Dude actually said his screens had two zip codes.