JTB

Who wants Capela?

-He’s just 25 years old

-proven rim protector

-very athletic

-good hands

-good rebounder

-can switch out onto the perimeter extremely well

we got the cap space, so what do y’all think ?

• Premium Member

I'd pass.

$16.8/$18/$19/$20 million over the next 4 years. He's too limited offensively to be paid that much. He'll clog the lane too much for Trae and JColl.

He's a rim running big with some defense making too much money.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd pass.

$16.8/$18/$19/$20 million over the next 4 years. He's too limited offensively to be paid that much. He'll clog the lane too much for Trae and JColl.

He's a rim running big with some defense making too much money.

Some defense? I thought he pretty much considered elite at defense with his ability to switch unto the perimeter at 6’10 and protect the rim successfully.

good hands and great coordination as a rim runner though he’s limited offensively. Not to mention the rebounding impact he has.

I get ya though! That’s a very sizable contract for 12 pts per game lol...can’t say I don’t disagree with that but I do like what capela brings as a defender and rebounder . Wish he could somewhat shoot.

• Admin

We NEED defense badly ... he provides it in spades ... we don’t need more then 10 to 12 points at center with our other weapons ... we just need a guy to stop the other team from scoring so much.

Only question is if he will fit with Collins ... I think he can ... he runs the floor well and will take a lot of Trea’s passes for dunks.

TP / Baz / 2nd and maybe Cleveland pick?

• Admin
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nope.  His overrated defense isn't enough when you consider his salary. 

I just want some very solid defense at SF and C  as our PG/SG/PF are terrible defenders.  It doesn’t need to be him but we badly need D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I just want some very solid defense at SF and C  as our PG/SG/PF are terrible defenders.  It doesn’t need to be him but we badly need D

I agree with this . I’m not sure what everyone else are hoping to get at center but to me it seems a little unrealistic and undervaluing.....

unrealistic in terms that every hawks fan is wanting to keep the floor extremely spaced out and find that perfect legit size 3&D center to plug in next to Collins but the fact is there aren’t many if any good 3 & D legit size centers out there! (Brook Lopez honestly is the only one that come to mind right now  and his defense in my opinion didn’t look good until he went to Milwaukee really )

Then we have fans in my opinion undervaluing John Collins skills as a player and basketball IQ when our fans say he can’t fit with a rim runner at center....that’s something I highly disagree with. Collins screening ability is already showing to be elite! He’s absolutely incredible as a screener! Knows exactly when to roll or pop! Seems simple I know but it’s not apparently or we’d see a lot  more 20 and 10 bigs in this era. Collins also Understands spacing for the 3 and when to cut for the easy basket when he’s not the screener. I don’t think a rim running center will lessen Collins impact  , in fact I believe he’ll know how to work off that type of player before the rest of the team figures it out (other then maybe Trae of course).

• Like 1

I’m not mad at the contract, considering what we pay Baze and Plumlee. It’s the cost of business these days. For me it’s just a matter of what assets do we have to give up to get him as Houston most certainly (over)values him as a player 

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I agree with this . I’m not sure what everyone else are hoping to get at center but to me it seems a little unrealistic and undervaluing.....

unrealistic in terms that every hawks fan is wanting to keep the floor extremely spaced out and find that perfect legit size 3&D center to plug in next to Collins but the fact is there aren’t many if any good 3 & D legit size centers out there! (Brook Lopez honestly is the only one that come to mind right now  and his defense in my opinion didn’t look good until he went to Milwaukee really )

Then we have fans in my opinion undervaluing John Collins skills as a player and basketball IQ when our fans say he can’t fit with a rim runner at center....that’s something I highly disagree with. Collins screening ability is already showing to be elite! He’s absolutely incredible as a screener! Knows exactly when to roll or pop! Seems simple I know but it’s not apparently or we’d see a lot  more 20 and 10 bigs in this era. Collins also Understands spacing for the 3 and when to cut for the easy basket when he’s not the screener. I don’t think a rim running center will lessen Collins impact  , in fact I believe he’ll know how to work off that type of player before the rest of the team figures it out (other then maybe Trae of course).

How do we view and project Len? I liked some of the flashes I saw of him challenging guys at the rim but he is still insistent in that area. I love what he brings offensively since adding the 3pt to his game. 

He has legit size and he has a competitive edge to him that I love. Is he someone we hold on to as a key reserve and spot starter considering his age and potential?

Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

How do we view and project Len? I liked some of the flashes I saw of him challenging guys at the rim but he is still insistent in that area. I love what he brings offensively since adding the 3pt to his game. 

He has legit size and he has a competitive edge to him that I love. Is he someone we hold on to as a key reserve and spot starter considering his age and potential?

Absolutely I think either way it goes Len should be brought back or kept no matter what .

Len is always putting all out effort on the floor whenever he’s in the game but he seems more like a player who will grow offensively before defensively. Anyways good nice player to have but replaceable as a starter 

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Agreed.  Seems like, offensively, we need the C to stretch the floor.  Otherwise the offensive impact of our poor defenders is compromised.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Agreed.  Seems like, offensively, we need the C to stretch the floor.  Otherwise the offensive impact of our poor defenders is compromised.

Well this seems to be thought process that everyone hawk fan has for the center position “keeping the floor spread as much as possible at all cost” other than me lol but I will roll with it.

my only problem with that logic is that most 3pt shooting bigs can’t play a lick of any impactful good defense seem like . But all in all I’d be ok bringing back Dedmon (who’s a good decent defender but not game changing) and Len (who could continue to grow into a very good player given that he’s only 25)

So at the very least going into next season this would be the big man rotation I hope we have.....

PF- Collins - Spellman

C- Dedmon- Len

PF/C- Noah Vonleh - Chris Woods

27 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well this seems to be thought process that everyone hawk fan has for the center position “keeping the floor spread as much as possible at all cost” other than me lol but I will roll with it.

I think this comes from a comment Pierce made a while back saying the offense needs a floor spacing C. I think he made it in regards to Dedmon. Now I'm not sure if that comment is absolute (probably isn't) so we fans have probably taken it to the extreme. 

Also, now that I see the contract, it's a big ask imo. I'd gladly swap baze Plumlee and a future pick (would even though in TP) for Capela but would NOT trade for him using our cap space. That's a non starter for me. Not sure Houston has any interest in our bad contracts. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JTB said:

Some defense? I thought he pretty much considered elite at defense with his ability to switch unto the perimeter at 6’10 and protect the rim successfully.

good hands and great coordination as a rim runner though he’s limited offensively. Not to mention the rebounding impact he has.

I get ya though! That’s a very sizable contract for 12 pts per game lol...can’t say I don’t disagree with that but I do like what capela brings as a defender and rebounder . Wish he could somewhat shoot.

He doesn't have good hands in close quarters. He can catch lobs, etc.

Doesn't shoot ir pass well enough.

Byproduct of CP3 as well.

Just not enough varied aspects to his game for the cost.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JTB said:

my only problem with that logic is that most 3pt shooting bigs can’t play a lick of any impactful good defense seem like . But all in all I’d be ok bringing back Dedmon (who’s a good decent defender but not game changing) and Len (who could continue to grow into a very good player given that he’s only 25)

So at the very least going into next season this would be the big man rotation I hope we have.....

PF- Collins - Spellman

C- Dedmon- Len

PF/C- Noah Vonleh - Chris Woods

It's more than just keeping the floor spread. He doesn't do anything else on offense to make a defense cheat off him.