• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So Capela is available....any takers?

JTB

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I think this comes from a comment Pierce made a while back saying the offense needs a floor spacing C. I think he made it in regards to Dedmon. Now I'm not sure if that comment is absolute (probably isn't) so we fans have probably taken it to the extreme. 

Also, now that I see the contract, it's a big ask imo. I'd gladly swap baze Plumlee and a future pick (would even though in TP) for Capela but would NOT trade for him using our cap space. That's a non starter for me. Not sure Houston has any interest in our bad contracts. 

Houston can't take both Plumlee and Baze.

But I'm more interested in how he affects our cap moving forward as well, not just this season.

Yes, we need defense - I just prefer if we are getting a defensive player with very limited and not much varied offensive skillset he shouldn't cost $73 mil +. Might as well sign Nerlens Noel for $3 mil.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Houston can't take both Plumlee and Baze.

But I'm more interested in how he affects our cap moving forward as well, not just this season.

Yes, we need defense - I just prefer if we are getting a defensive player with very limited and not much varied offensive skillset he shouldn't cost $73 mil +. Might as well sign Nerlens Noel for $3 mil.

Yeah, should have read "combination of baze plumlee and future 1st and TP"

I like the player and while the money is a lot, he provided 10.8 WS and a PER of 23.8 last season and he's only 25.  He's one of the top defenders in the league averaging 16 pts / 12 reb a game.  I get that he doesn't space the floor, but IF LP and TS thought they could make it work, I'd live with the salary.  

He's got 4 years left on his contract at $16.5M / $17.5M / $18.5M / $19.5M.  I don't think that's outrageous by any means.  Hawks would still have $30M or so in FA to spend in the next few years, depending on what contracts they signed this year.  

Hawks could trade Plumlee / Prince / No. 10 Pick for Capela.  Prince fits Houstons 3pt barrage concept, Plumlee would give them cap relief and the pick would be young talent.  

Hawks could have a young core of:

Trae / Huerter / Reddish / JC / Capela

And they'd still have $30 - $40 Mil to spend this season in FA and Baze coming off the books next year.  I kinda like it, again IF LP and TS think they could make JC and Capela fit together.

Capela is the kind of big we need next to JC defensively.

I personally don’t care for any of the bad free throw shooting athletic defensive bigs currently scattered across the league. You gotta hit FTs.

Hes definitely a difference maker defensively, but I’d pass.

I wouldn’t touch Capela. I think KG mentioned byproduct of Harden. Any stiff playing with Harden and Paul that had arms and legs would be getting these numbers. Fool’s gold here. I’m not bailing Houston out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I wouldn’t touch Capela. I think KG mentioned byproduct of Harden. Any stiff playing with Harden and Paul that had arms and legs would be getting these numbers. Fool’s gold here. I’m not bailing Houston out.

More about the defense, imo. Even if the offense is overstated due to the Harden effect, the defense is legit. Plus Trae makes guys better as well so no guarantee he wouldn't be a quality offensive big.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You can't fake hustle, rebounding and defense. I'd trade for him if the deal was right. JC needs exactly what Capela brings to protect JC's bad defense as a big. We also don't need all five guys on the floor  being 3pt shooters to space the court. We can rotate Capela and JC in the low post.

• Like 4

Just now, Sothron said:

You can't fake hustle, rebounding and defense. I'd trade for him if the deal was right. JC needs exactly what Capela brings to protect JC's bad defense as a big. We also don't need all five guys on the floor  being 3pt shooters to space the court. We can rotate Capela and JC in the low post.

True but you also can’t fake the fact that Capela choked and was a big reason the Rockets couldn’t handle the scrubs this year. If he mans up and takes on Draymond and shuts him down, the Rockets might have won. He completely disappeared.

He basically went from getting 22,12 to like 6 and 7. We need players that get up for the big moment, he’s not it in my opinion and would come at a high cost dealing with Morey.

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

True but you also can’t fake the fact that Capela choked and was a big reason the Rockets couldn’t handle the scrubs this year. If he mans up and takes on Draymond and shuts him down, the Rockets might have won. He completely disappeared.

He basically went from getting 22,12 to like 6 and 7. We need players that get up for the big moment, he’s not it in my opinion and would come at a high cost dealing with Morey.

Yeah but as of now only Draymond can shut down Draymond so thats a tough example. Think Capela really helps on the stop end and could possibly help improve Collins in addition to just bailing him out. Either way the plus is bigger than the salary in my mind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah but as of now only Draymond can shut down Draymond so thats a tough example. Think Capela really helps on the stop end and could possibly help improve Collins in addition to just bailing him out. Either way the plus is bigger than the salary in my mind.

Agree with this.  Plus, if you can get him by just trading out Plumlee's contract plus TP and a pick, I'd do it tomorrow.  Hawks would still have plenty of cap space to use over the next few years.  

• Like 1

Capela was looking pretty good even when Dwight was in Houston. He earned minutes at both big spots and was up and down the court quickly. Easy player to like.

7 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Agree with this.  Plus, if you can get him by just trading out Plumlee's contract plus TP and a pick, I'd do it tomorrow.  Hawks would still have plenty of cap space to use over the next few years.  

I hear y’all but I’m personally still passing on Clint.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

What does Harden have to do with his rebounding? Also, is Harden's playmaking right now so much superior to what Trae Young will become?? No reason Capela can't put up close to those numbers with Trae feeding him the rock on the pick and roll. I like Capela, his contract is an overpay and he isn't the "ideal" fit offensively, but depending on the type of moves we make it would be an interesting prospect to have him here.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Capela was looking pretty good even when Dwight was in Houston. He earned minutes at both big spots and was up and down the court quickly. Easy player to like.

The idea that if you take him away from Harden he becomes a bum is a bit ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The idea that if you take him away from Harden he becomes a bum is a bit ridiculous. 

The idea that, if you take him away from Harden, he's no longer worth his contract is pretty reasonable.

And whatever it is that he brings is easily replaced by a GLeague guy coached-up.

Why trade for Capela, when all we have to do is draft Bruno Fernando at #10?   

It's pretty much the same defensive skill set, with better midrange and FT shooting . . . at about a 80% cheaper price.

I've seen 2 or 3 mock drafts have him slipping to #28 . . going to Golden State.   If the Warriors get their hands on a big man talent like this, and they keep the Splash Bros. together, you may as well give them another 3 championships

PG - Curry

G - Thompson

F - Durant ( Iguodala )

PF - Green

C - Fernando

It's a wrap for the league if this happens.  2 high energy guys like Green and Fernando as your defensive anchors, while everybody else can just run and gun?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Why trade for Capela, when all we have to do is draft Bruno Fernando at #10?   

It's pretty much the same defensive skill set, with better midrange and FT shooting . . . at about a 80% cheaper price.

I've seen 2 or 3 mock drafts have him slipping to #28 . . going to Golden State.   If the Warriors get their hands on a big man talent like this, and they keep the Splash Bros. together, you may as well give them another 3 championships

PG - Curry

G - Thompson

F - Durant ( Iguodala )

PF - Green

C - Fernando

It's a wrap for the league if this happens.  2 high energy guys like Green and Fernando as your defensive anchors, while everybody else can just run and gun?

Omg. I don’t know Bruno well but he’s not gonna be a Draymond Green and ur anchor. No. I would love to eat crow served by Northcyde, Hazer and whoever but this is rating him unrealistically high. No? Either that or I’m severely flawed in watching any tape on anyone. Prolly the latter. I like my crow spicy 🌶!

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Omg. I don’t know Bruno well but he’s not gonna be a Draymond Green and ur anchor. No. I would love to eat crow served by Northcyde, Hazer and whoever but this is rating him unrealistically high. No? Either that or I’m severely flawed in watching any tape on anyone. Prolly the latter. I like my crow spicy 🌶!

Bruno does have potential to be an anchor. Maybe not Draymond Green, but the potential is there.

• Like 1

Just throwing it out there. We could have both. Two years from now if Bruno is ready or has been ready for thirty minutes a game you can trade Capela with his reasonable contract (18.5 mil in 2021, pretty sure that will be considered reasonable then). We could move our #10 down slightly and take Bruno now and we easily have a strong and much better defensive 48 minutes at C right now and will have kept building for the future with still having Len's three point shot when needed. Would probably help at PF a lot as well. Don't see the point of trading Len with that cheap contract by the way. Would really help balance our roster. We could pic n roll opponents to death on the offensive end.