• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Man, The Viper, and The Prosecution aka The MVP aka Ice Trae

NBASupes

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just one defensive metric, but still:

I don’t follow painfully adjusted metrics but this season is the first in Trae’s career where the opponent’s 100 possession offensive rating is lower with him on the floor as opposed to off.  I assume Defensive EPM is trying to capture that.  It’s decreased consistently:

18-19: opponents rating +8.6 with him on

19-20: +6.8

20-21: +5.4

21-22: +4.9

22-23: +1.9 (huge jump)

23-24: -3 (another huge jump)

Wouldn’t you know, the year Trae actually pays dividends defensively everyone else is falling.

Conversely the Hawk’s offensive rating is only half a point worse with him off in 4 fewer possessions, by far the lowest difference in his career.  

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I don’t follow painfully adjusted metrics but this season is the first in Trae’s career where the opponent’s 100 possession offensive rating is lower with him on the floor as opposed to off.  I assume Defensive EPM is trying to capture that.  It’s decreased consistently:

18-19: opponents rating +8.6 with him on

19-20: +6.8

20-21: +5.4

21-22: +4.9

22-23: +1.9 (huge jump)

23-24: -3 (another huge jump)

Wouldn’t you know, the year Trae actually pays dividends defensively everyone else is falling.

Conversely the Hawk’s offensive rating is only half a point worse with him off in 4 fewer possessions, by far the lowest difference in his career.  

Here's another for you. I would be lying if I said I understood it all but the graphics show something positive in conjunction with what I'm seeing in games.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just one defensive metric, but still:

This is one of the reasons why I don't treat metrics as such a be-all indicator of performance/potential.  Especially defensive metrics.  There's more involved with defense than simply one singular player's literal impact. 

I feel like people throw defensive analysis and metrics around far too liberally and definitively.  There are some players who have clear physical limitations...like an older guard with bad knees trying to stay in front of his man or an undersized PF/C trying to guard bigs down low.  I've got not arguments with that kind of thing.  But I don't put any stock into all of the superficial parroting of the "he don't play no defense" arguments about players.  Particularly from those people with very clear agendas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Did anyone see that Trae showed up with Nique for an event at Norcross High School on Saturday.  Trae's my guy and I give these guys slack with the grueling schedule but out with illness friday night in philly and then at a public event saturday seemed weird.   Of course could have just been a stomach bug.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Did anyone see that Trae showed up with Nique for an event at Norcross High School on Saturday.  Trae's my guy and I give these guys slack with the grueling schedule but out with illness friday night in philly and then at a public event saturday seemed weird.   Of course could have just been a stomach bug.  

He would have had 2 days to get over whatever ailed him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand this...  We GOT one.  We finally got one and he's absolutely amazing.  We have to do what it takes to put the right team around him. 

You know GM's and fans around the league are salivating....just waiting for the door to crack open on his availability.

Unfortunately this is starting to remind me of my 10 years being a diehard Detroit Lions fan.  Started the day they drafted Barry Sanders and ended the day he retired.   Those were the most frustrating 10 years of sports fandom I've experienced.   We're 5 years into Trae's tenure and I notice a lot of similarities between Lions and Hawks in terms of the ineptness of the front office, coaching and most of the players.

Lions did nothing in 10 years to help Barry and so far Atlanta has done nothing to help Trae.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand this...  We GOT one.  We finally got one and he's absolutely amazing.  We have to do what it takes to put the right team around him. 

You know GM's and fans around the league are salivating....just waiting for the door to crack open on his availability.

10 minutes ago, shakes said:

Unfortunately this is starting to remind me of my 10 years being a diehard Detroit Lions fan.  Started the day they drafted Barry Sanders and ended the day he retired.   Those were the most frustrating 10 years of sports fandom I've experienced.   We're 5 years into Trae's tenure and I notice a lot of similarities between Lions and Hawks in terms of the ineptness of the front office, coaching and most of the players.

Lions did nothing in 10 years to help Barry and so far Atlanta has done nothing to help Trae.

Part of that is Ownership, compounded by front office and coaching upheaval........shit rolling downhill.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Part of that is Ownership, compounded by front office and coaching upheaval........shit rolling downhill.

i.e. exactly what went on during Barry Sanders career with Detroit.