• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020 Hawks Speculations and Musings!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, High5 said:

So you expect Schlenk to take on salary for next season in a Crabbe/Turner trade? Maybe. I’m curious what that would look like. 

:biggrin: me too. I haven't looked for possible trade ideas where we just take back a decent player with salary and a 2nd for those guys alone.

I've proposed trade ideas like Steven Adams, Dedmon and Dieng where Crabbe/Turner are used as salary filler that would meet the criteria for taking on salary for next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I would, yes. There's only 6 guys under contract for 2020-21 season, they have a ton of cap space, and there's not many quality free agents to be had next summer. They gotta add players somehow. Seems to make a ton of sense to do so through trades. Trade an expiring for a guy under contract through 2021. The goal would be to acquire actual contributors rather than the heap of horse crap they have now. 

It definitely makes sense if you can find a willing trade partner. Adams is the only 2021 expiring contract that I've seen much discussion about, but OKC wants more than cap relief for him. Dieng and Dedmon (close enough to an expiring) are a couple of other potential options as Jay mentioned. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, High5 said:

It definitely makes sense if you can find a willing trade partner. Adams is the only 2021 expiring contract that I've seen much discussion about, but OKC wants more than cap relief for him. Dieng and Dedmon (close enough to an expiring) are a couple of other potential options as Jay mentioned. 

Giving up more for him is ok by me.  Just a question of how much more.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The only real first round pick i care about keeping for the next few years is our own this year.   So it's time to get some young talent via trade of picks to get guys who are similar experience level as our young guns.  Basically 2-5 year guys. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Personally:

Trae/Cam/Hunter/ 2020 pick (ours)off the table 

Collins- I’ll listen but good offers only

Huerter- Again good offers only

Everything else...dangle.

Interesting.  I agree but i'd swap Collins and Hunter.  I'm optimistic about Hunter but also could see him as just a good steady NBA player but not an all star.  For some reason i feel like Collins is just going to continue to make big strides. 

Once we get Edwards though we'll have a logjam on the wing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, High5 said:

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Giving up more for him is ok by me.  Just a question of how much more.

I'd willing include the Brooklyn 2020 1st for Adams.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Interesting.  I agree but i'd swap Collins and Hunter.  I'm optimistic about Hunter but also could see him as just a good steady NBA player but not an all star.  For some reason i feel like Collins is just going to continue to make big strides. 

Once we get Edwards though we'll have a logjam on the wing.

I could roll with this thinking as well. You can’t dismiss Collins. Big guy with agility.. ya if we give him up we may regret it.

I like our core. 😆 

Can we just suck for a bit then blow up on everyone with our current roster? 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, High5 said:

So you expect Schlenk to take on salary for next season in a Crabbe/Turner trade? Maybe. I’m curious what that would look like. 

5 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I would, yes. There's only 6 guys under contract for 2020-21 season, they have a ton of cap space, and there's not many quality free agents to be had next summer. They gotta add players somehow. Seems to make a ton of sense to do so through trades. Trade an expiring for a guy under contract through 2021. The goal would be to acquire actual contributors rather than the heap of horse crap they have now. 

I've been searching for trades that fit these criteria, lot harder than expected. But saw an article that Detroit maybe 'open to new direction'

Crabbe ($17 mil) for Tony Snell ($12 mil, player option next season), + filler.

Snell can defend and is shooting 42% from 3 this season on 4 attempts. He can replace Bembry next season.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd willing include the Brooklyn 2020 1st for Adams.

I haven't been a big proponent of Adams, but I could live with that. I feel like OKC would want Bruno though. They already have so many picks stockpiled. 

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

As it currently stands we're just waiting for one of Huerter, Hunter or Cam to break out in a big way.  Trae and Collins are already extremely high and high level players.   If one of the 3 wings can become a real scoring threat then we can start stocking up on good role players.  

Trae and Collins' rookie seasons have spoiled us. :biggrin:.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, High5 said:

I haven't been a big proponent of Adams, but I could live with that. I feel like OKC would want Bruno though. They already have so many picks stockpiled. 

OKC is said to be seeking salary relief, a young player and a 1st.  They won't get all 3. We can offer salary relief and a 1st.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Personally:

Trae/Cam/Hunter/ 2020 pick (ours)off the table 

Collins- I’ll listen but good offers only

Huerter- Again good offers only

Everything else...dangle.

Everything else...dangle?    There is nothing else.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've been searching for trades that fit these criteria, lot harder than expected. But saw an article that Detroit maybe 'open to new direction'

Crabbe ($17 mil) for Tony Snell ($12 mil, player option next season), + filler.

Snell can defend and is shooting 42% from 3 this season on 4 attempts. He can replace Bembry next season.

Here's some Centers that would qualify (Contract ends after 20-21 season):

Drummond - Det - 28 yrs old - UFA

Dieng - Min - 30 yrs old - UFA

Adams - OKC - 28 yrs old - UFA

Mo Bamba - Orl - 23 yrs old - RFA

Zach Collins - Por - 23 yrs old - RFA

Jarrett Allen - Bkn - 23 yrs old - RFA

Willie Caulie-Stein - GSW - 28 yrs old - UFA

Any of those of interest? 

Edited by REHawksFan

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae and Collins' rookie seasons have spoiled us. :biggrin:.

This rookie class has been garbage by any standard, and our picks are some of the worst performing of this class so far. Still to early to give up but it has been an enormous dud so far.