• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020 Hawks Speculations and Musings!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Plainview1981 said:

Looks like the rest of the games can be skipped. 

I have to force myself to watch the NBA much of the time. I have to be pretty bored now to watch a full game.

I'm about there.  This rebuild is not going well.  I'm not real confident about the organization as a whole.  

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Synopsis:

1. Trae Young will be an All-Star. I don’t think this prediction is the easiest one to make, but I think it’s most likely to happen. Young is averaging more than 28 points and eight assists per game to rank in the top five in both categories.

2. John Collins is given a four-year contract. Collins is eligible for a rookie extension this summer that won’t kick in until the 2021 season. In the games since his return from suspension, Collins has looked just as good on offense.

3. There will be a new center on the roster by the conclusion of the trade deadline. The Hawks have three backup centers on the roster. 

4. The Hawks don’t get the No. 1 pick. Since the NBA started using the current lottery system in 1994, the Hawks have been in the draft lottery eight times and only once did they put in the same position as they entered.

5. Once again, the Hawks will have a historically bad defense. 

6.Cam Reddish solidifies himself as the team’s go-to lockdown defender. 

7. Evan Turner and/or Chandler Parsons won’t be on this team by April. 

8. If he’s not traded, Jabari Parker will opt into his player option. Parker remains a giant liability on defense as he has been for all of his career, but he has shown that he can score.

9. DeAndre’ Bembry won’t be re-signed this offseason. Bembry is the lone remaining player on the roster who predates Schlenk’s arrival to Atlanta. Bembry has been a personal favorite for Pierce because of his willingness to do the small tasks on the court with 100 percent effort always. Bembry has not been very good this season and was briefly out of the rotation for a three-game stretch.

10. No, Pierce won’t be fired. Yahoo! Sports’ Chris Haynes reported last month that Pierce wasn’t yet on the hot seat following the Hawks’ embarrassing loss to the Knicks but did say that the heat could rise underneath him if Atlanta continued to struggle. Schlenk told our own Jeff Schultz that Pierce wasn’t on the hot seat at all. 

We badly need a center who can defend

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, High5 said:

We couldn't get anything for Ilyasova or Belinelli, so I can't imagine we'd get a pick for those bums. 

Teams wanted us to take back extra salary for an additional year for a 2nd. We passed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Teams wanted us to take back extra salary for an additional year for a 2nd. We passed.

I know that, but how do you expect we’d be able to get a pick for Crabbe or Turner without doing something similar? They’re much harder to move than Ersan or Marco were.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, High5 said:

I know that, but how do you expect we’d be able to get a pick for Crabbe or Turner without doing something similar? They’re much harder to move than Ersan or Marco were.

I think the issue back then was the amount of available capspace we would have that offseason vs the projected $78 million we'd have this year vs the FA pool.

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think the issue back then was the amount of available capspace we would have that offseason vs the projected $78 million we'd have this year vs the FA pool.

So you expect Schlenk to take on salary for next season in a Crabbe/Turner trade? Maybe. I’m curious what that would look like. 

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I have to say that other than predicting we will have a new center, the rest of these are kind of 'no duh' items. 

Yeah, our new center will probably be someone like Moose (I'll be stunned if we get any new players other than g leaguers.)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I would, yes. There's only 6 guys under contract for 2020-21 season, they have a ton of cap space, and there's not many quality free agents to be had next summer. They gotta add players somehow. Seems to make a ton of sense to do so through trades. Trade an expiring for a guy under contract through 2021. The goal would be to acquire actual contributors rather than the heap of horse crap they have now. 

This is the only angle I’m seeing right now.  You can give relief this year and next year to someone, improve our team for this and next year, and maintain cap room for 2021-22.  But the number of situations that fit this dynamic is going to be very limited.  Would help if our overpaid vets could actually start producing.

• Like 4

We clearly need a starting Center a backup PG and a productive wing. I am not against adding players using our expirings but I really doubt is happenning. I think it will probably happen by draft and FA.

My bet is that we will try to compete next year.

1- I think Goodwin becomes a reliable enough backup PG and we round the backup PG position on draft day with someone like Hayes, Maledon or Hampton.

2- If we do not draft Edwards I think we are adding a shooter like Harris, Korkmaz, Bogdanovic or Crowder.

3-. I think we are adding a big with our pick, if we cannot land Wiseman we will select Carney Jr or Stewart.

4- Finnally I bet that we go for a reliable big in Noel, Baynes, Ibaka.... adding another big not so reliable.

Next year we will be competing and with room for improvement as we would have a lot of cap space. 

My dream would be

Young/Goodwin/Hampton

Harris/Huerter/Hampton

Hunter/Reddish/Crowder

Collins/Wood/Crowder

Noel/Wiseman/Fernando

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

8. If he’s not traded, Jabari Parker will opt into his player option. Parker remains a giant liability on defense as he has been for all of his career, but he has shown that he can score.

After the first few games was hoping Parker would at least consider opting in with us because of his scoring but now my word, he really needs to be elsewhere next season or much sooner. Didn't necessarily expect too much before the season started but everything he scores he gives up and usually gives up more (hurt or not) so am just not a fan now. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Will 2020 be better?  All of us here sure hope so.

Believe our stable of point guards in Trae and Goodwin will help a great deal with that.

• Thanks 2