• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk Master Plan

hawkster911

34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I wrote several updates in the Drummond thread. I think you would like it. The Hawks are going to a new chapter. 

What new information did you bring to the table? We already knew that Schlenk was looking at potential trades this season (while remaining tight with our assets) and that he was going to shift gears in the offseason. 

Edited by High5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GameTime said:

I think at this point Schlenk knows his guy Pierce won't survive another year with a season like this one.

He was planning on this being a tough year but TS said it best, he didn't think John would be out 25 games and Kevin hurt for half the season. The biggest thing is, they didn't see All Star Trae coming this soon. A game like tonight, (complete stinker) was expected a couple of times in a month but this is the 1st one of the year. Yeah, Trae pushed up the timeline. 

• Like 4

@NBASupes I’ve said from day one that I thought it was smarter for Schlenk to go hard in 2020 rather than 2021!

i get 2021 is substantially better in terms of star power but I don’t believe the hawks will be big time achievers vs other  marquee teams

im not saying we should spend ALL the money in 2020 but  If I’m Schlenk I’m only leaving just enough cap for the possibility of one max  contract for 2021.

on a side note....I have a few BOLD predictions for the off season  based on the news you received and  shared with us....here we go....

Schlenk will sign Bertans in the off-season to a long term good contract , in other words Bertans I’m guaranteeing will be a definite Hawks next season while Drummond will just get a definite look in the off season.

futhermore I would say Gallanari will be pursued hard as well by Schlenk.

As for us Drummond fans he will get looks but Schlenk will drop out of the Drummond race ultimately when his asking price doesn’t come down meanwhile Schlenk will be focusing on Derrick Favors in the background to play center while all the news media pushes the idea that we are after Drummond.

i believe these things happen regardless of the draft. I don’t see Schlenk going after a big in this draft anyhow though it’s a need, I say Schlenk will put more focus on veteran bigs in free agency and grab his wing players through the draft similar to how Danny Ainge has done with the Cs.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, hawkster911 said:

In November, Shams Charania reported that the Hawks were pursuing Domantas Sabonis in restricted free agency.  Unfortunately, he signed a contract extension with Indiana.  Fast forward today, Domantas is averaging 18Points/13rebounds/4assists.  Our GM has an eye for talent.  

Todays reports that Detroit would have given the Hawks Drummond if we had given them a 1st round pick.  Our GM is not mortgaging our future on a rental.

Remember guys, Schlenk has a keen eye for talent as he started his NBA career as a video editor for Golden State Warriors.  Give our GM time.  He’s building something special here.

When John Collins was drafted with the 18th Pick (1st Round), did you envision him producing at this level for a mid round pick? 

This summer and next year (trade deadline or summer free agency) will be special for the Hawks.  The next 2-3 moves via draft/trade will define Schlenk and this roster makeup.    He makes decisions that are exciting, damn better than Pete Babcock or Billy Knight.  

We will not get a player of Drummond's calibur with our draft picks in the draft.   

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

@NBASupes I’ve said from day one that I thought it was smarter for Schlenk to go hard in 2020 rather than 2021!

i get 2021 is substantially better in terms of star power but I don’t believe the hawks will be big time achievers vs other  marquee teams

im not saying we should spend ALL the money in 2020 but  If I’m Schlenk I’m only leaving just enough cap for the possibility of one max  contract for 2021.

on a side note....I have a few BOLD predictions for the off season  based on the news you received and  shared with us....here we go....

Schlenk will sign Bertans in the off-season to a long term good contract , in other words Bertans I’m guaranteeing will be a definite Hawks next season while Drummond will just get a definite look in the off season.

futhermore I would say Gallanari will be pursued hard as well by Schlenk.

As for us Drummond fans he will get looks but Schlenk will drop out of the Drummond race ultimately when his asking price doesn’t come down meanwhile Schlenk will be focusing on Derrick Favors in the background to play center while all the news media pushes the idea that we are after Drummond.

i believe these things happen regardless of the draft. I don’t see Schlenk going after a big in this draft anyhow though it’s a need, I say Schlenk will put more focus on veteran bigs in free agency and grab his wing players through the draft similar to how Danny Ainge has done with the Cs.

Next year's free agency is full of quality vets that the Hawks can surround the young guys with and make us competetive.  Schnlenk will have his pick of them with the cap space we have AND hopefully he will structure the contracts smartly for 2021.

I believe if Schlenk  signs Bertans we will not sign Gallanari.  Their skillsets are kind of redundant aren't they?  I also don't know if there will be enough playing time for both, but if Gallanari is willing to take a VET back up role where he comes in here and there. I'm all for it. I just don't see him taking that role since he's been pretty solid this year.

As far as available centers, there are many solid Centers available.  Mason Plumlee, Noel,  Demarcus Cousins, that can be a huge upgrade for this team.  

All in all, I'm excited to see what he can do next season.

4 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

We will not get a player of Drummond's calibur with our draft picks in the draft.   

You don't know this.  Chances are slim, but I wouldn't say we won't get a player of Drummonds Calibur.  Unless you're talking first year impact.  However, we don't know that either.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Next year's free agency is full of quality vets that the Hawks can surround the young guys with and make us competetive.  Schnlenk will have his pick of them with the cap space we have AND hopefully he will structure the contracts smartly for 2021.

I believe if Schlenk  signs Bertans we will not sign Gallanari.  Their skillsets are kind of redundant aren't they?  I also don't know if there will be enough playing time for both, but if Gallanari is willing to take a VET back up role where he comes in here and there. I'm all for it. I just don't see him taking that role since he's been pretty solid this year.

As far as available centers, there are many solid Centers available.  Mason Plumlee, Noel,  Demarcus Cousins, that can be a huge upgrade for this team.  

All in all, I'm excited to see what he can do next season.

You don't know this.  Chances are slim, but I wouldn't say we won't get a player of Drummonds Calibur.  Unless you're talking first year impact.  However, we don't know that either.

Doesn't make any sense.  Why not give up a late first for a 17/15 guy?  

• Thanks 1

I think we Definitely Need Drummond and Want Drummond..Atlanta knows that offering the 1st round pick now for Drummond would only give the Pistons leverage in other trades..The pistons wont make a move on Drummond till at or near the deadline they will hold out for all they can get..At that point we will offer the 1st round pick/Dead money and try to pry Drummond away..

The pistons currently have 132 million tied up in salary this season..Keeping Drummond past the deadline is risky with potential injuries..He has an op in for 28 million which would put them in the luxury tax again for the 2020-2021 season..

I just don't think we need to out bid ourselves early.. I think that the dead money/pick we can possibly offer  is more attractive than the Pistons taking on additional seasons with Randle and Ntlikina.. 

We really don't need 2 rookies next season  with the young prospects we currently have which would make the Brooklyn pick expendable..Acquiring Drummond now would lead to an uptick in wins which would lessen our chance at the number  1 pick..Waiting near the deadline to make best offer is better because it allows us to lose more games for the number 1 pick and also put us in a position to get Drummond at a bargain with dead money and Brooklyn pick..Waiting is the best course of action..

Getting Drummond now  for a test drive is good because it allows us a chance to see how he fits in..if he doesn't fit and enter Free agency.. We still could possibly end up with a young center in James Wiseman..Acquiring Drummond really isn't that risky if the price is only dead money/pick..The key is to continue to drive the asking price down till at or near the deadline..

Edited by LastDon
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LastDon said:

Getting Drummond now  for a test drive is good because it allows us a chance to see how he fits in..if he doesn't fit and enter Free agency.. We still could possibly end up with a young center in James Wiseman..Acquiring Drummond really isn't that risky if the price is only dead money/pick..The key is to continue to drive the asking price down till at or near the deadline..

I’ve said this too. I think it would be a huge benefit for us to see if he fits before we sign him. I’m not willing to give up our first or the Brooklyn first for it though. 

• Like 2