Fansided wrote a great article on the real impact of Trae Young's defense

NBASupes

Trae’s career win shares tell you all you need to know about how fatal his floor game is.  3.5 below Mitchell Robinson.  Same as SGA, who actually helps his teams to the playoffs in a tougher conference.  I don’t want no beef Supes lol.

Edited by benhillboy

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Trae’s career win shares tell you all you need to know about how fatal his floor game is.  3.5 below Mitchell Robinson.  Same as SGA, who actually helps his teams to the playoffs in a tougher conference.  I don’t want no beef Supes lol.

So let's trade Trae for Mitchell Robinson, seeing that we need a center.  We'll let Goodwin run the point full time.

PG - Goodwin

G - Huerter

F - Hunter

PF - Collins

C - Robinson

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

• Haha 4

Definitely!....Defense around Trae is a huge huge priority but like supes said those guys have to be able to be efficient offensively as well.

We pretty much know Schlenk is aware of this and the drafting of Cam and Hunter are clear indications that it’s being addressed or effort is at least going into it.

i can’t get completely behind the make up of all these numbers though defensively....not to suggest trae is better than the actual numbers but he’s so heavily relied on offensively that if he goes cold it wouldn’t matter if we are playing defense or not in many of these games as these guys simply can’t score when he’s off the court .....in other words I just think it all works hand in hand together.

• Like 2

I’m curious from the miles standpoint on defense:  is that a result of Trae fighting through screens constantly on defense?

if so, I’m wondering if doing more switching would conserve his energy throughout the game and we’d get better quality on the offensive and defensive end. 

I’m a stat head on a lot of stuff I really am but this is a great example why numbers don’t always tell it all.

Trae is a bad defender no doubt but even on a losing season like this year there’s just no way in hell his offense isn’t making up for his bad defense the majority of the time! I mean maybe we will see these numbers by the eye test more once the team can actually play defense and score on close to avg without his presence on the court.

this team is so bad at scoring without Trae its NOT laughable 

12pts in the first quarter !...really ? 

16 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Our defense looked terrible without him today. Maybe his impact is really neutral because the entire team is just bad.

His impact is twice times as much as his negative impact. He makes us substantially better. 

Brooklyn is a prime example why mid 1st rounders matter. The difference is, they landed two superstars in FA and we landed three top 10 picks. Our time table will take longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

His impact is twice times as much as his negative impact. He makes us substantially better. 

Brooklyn is a prime example why mid 1st rounders matter. The difference is, they landed two superstars in FA and we landed three top 10 picks. Our time table will take longer.

Oh without a doubt.

I meant to say  defensive impact..

Just now, EazyRoc said:

Oh without a doubt.

I meant to say  defensive impact..

Sometimes your offense is so good, it's makes defense easier even if it's bad. Like tonight, our defense was better than it was with Trae but we still was fouling like crazy as usual, not getting stops with needed as usual, and struggling to rebound as usual. The difference was, we couldn't execute for shit on offense even if we made good decisions. Like I've said before, this team isn't build for the modern NBA this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I didn't want us to sign Baze to that contract originally but I was in no way ready to move him for Evan freaking Turner.  You were already stuck paying that kind of salary.  Why take an obvious downgrade in a trade for him?  It just never made sense.

LP's explanation made even less sense. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I didn't want us to sign Baze to that contract originally but I was in no way ready to move him for Evan freaking Turner.  You were already stuck paying that kind of salary.  Why take an obvious downgrade in a trade for him?  It just never made sense.

Prince made more sense as driven by 2 1st round picks and with Crabbe seeming like a fine stop-gap rotation piece (he has disappointed there for sure).

And Prince has disappointed this season too

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

Prince made more sense as driven by 2 1st round picks and with Crabbe seeming like a fine stop-gap rotation piece (he has disappointed there for sure).

In all fairness adding Baze and removing Turner would at the very,very most give us maybe 1 more win this season. 

But yes, at its best a completely pointless move. 

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

In all fairness adding Baze and removing Turner would at the very,very most give us maybe 1 more win this season. 

But yes, at its best a completely pointless move. 

It is tough to get too much worse than what Turner has done:  .434% TS% with a 27% turnover rate.  Even having the worst season of his career, Baze is a step or two better than ET.  

* Just noticed as an aside that with a single decent game, Cam should pass both Turner and VC for scoring efficiency on the season.   Hurray! :ahf:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is tough to get too much worse than what Turner has done:  .434% TS% with a 27% turnover rate.  Even having the worst season of his career, Baze is a step or two better than ET.  

* Just noticed as an aside that with a single decent game, Cam should pass both Turner and VC for scoring efficiency on the season.   Hurray! :ahf:

Turner has been worse, but Baze is negative win shares on the year and has a 47% TS&, so it's really not that much of a difference.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Turner has been worse, but Baze is negative win shares on the year and has a 47% TS&, so it's really not that much of a difference.

Plus one has been a cancer of an attitude to the point where he is asked to stay home while the other has been a positive attitude.  Turner = burning money.