• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I just don't understand the rush of trading the pick when we have tons of capspace to pick up really good role players in the off season. 

Yes, I don't think the rookies will have an immediate impact, but you never know.  

I'd rather draft the top pick, let him play sparingly  in a simplified role and develop while adding solid vets through free agency.  You need multiple young assets to pull of big deals in the future.  That way the team will improve.  The reason the team hasn't improved much this season is the vets. If they are improved along with small imrpovements with our Young core, I can see the Hawks being a .500 team next season.

I hate to break it down like this but it’s likely the fear of striking out in free agency....so acquire the talent you’d go after now and go ahead and start the early negotiation to keep them once we land them in trade.

Just now, REHawksFan said:

I'd rather package the pick for something better than a role player than keep the pick and overpay in FA for role players. IF there were players worth the $80M they will have in FA then my attitude on the pick would likely be similar to yours. In general, I like to keep high picks and use them. I just don't see it with this particular draft and where the Hawks are right now.  

I mean that's reasonable, but the Hawks are going to have to overpay someone and you want that to be a one year over pay considering the 2021 free agency class.  THAT's the year we should go all in.

Next sesason the Hawks need to meet the minimum salary floor thereofore they may do a one year over pay for a player.  I.E. Adams or Drummond (if he opts in) so they meet the salary floor.  Then you see how he works with the young core and go after one of the big fish in the 2021 free agency and adjust Drummond's or Adam's contract to a more reasonable deal.

51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Only player I'd trade EASILY  for in that group for a top pick is is Jonathan Isaac, when I factor in age and current contract.

Beal and Jrue I give very minimal consideration, they always seem to be injured.

Do you really want to see a backcourt of Trae and Lavine? Easy Pass - unless they're including WCJr.

Middleton - think Joe Johnson, straight back to the treadmill. Paid like Batman but really a Robin.

Here's the other think to consider, these teams will want a young player attached to the pick.

Example: When Orlando traded Oladipo and #11(Sabonis) for Ibaka (Established player) - how'd that work out for them. 

In Orlando's defense, OKC went and traded Oladipo and Sabonis too. 

6 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'd rather package the pick for something better than a role player than keep the pick and overpay in FA for role players. IF there were players worth the $80M they will have in FA then my attitude on the pick would likely be similar to yours. In general, I like to keep high picks and use them. I just don't see it with this particular draft and where the Hawks are right now.  

Yes.  The fact is though, if they keep the pick, they are going to play the guy they take whether he’s ready or not.  See Cam Reddish.  And if they take the guy I think they will take, there will be a media frenzy following the team.

6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I mean that's reasonable, but the Hawks are going to have to overpay someone and you want that to be a one year over pay considering the 2021 free agency class.  THAT's the year we should go all in.

Next sesason the Hawks need to meet the minimum salary floor thereofore they may do a one year over pay for a player.  I.E. Adams or Drummond (if he opts in) so they meet the salary floor.  Then you see how he works with the young core and go after one of the big fish in the 2021 free agency and adjust Drummond's or Adam's contract to a more reasonable deal.

Danny Ferry built a championship caliber team in Atlanta without overpaying anyone or bottoming the roster out.

Edited by KB21

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Danny Ferry built a championship caliber team in Atlanta without overpaying anyone.

Literally 15 other GM's in Atlanta attempted not to overpay and Atlanta won what? I think my sample size is bigger and more indicative of what reality is.

Edited by marco102

Just now, marco102 said:

literally 15 other GM's in Atlanta attempted not to overpay and Atlanta won what? I think my sample size is bigger and more indicative of what reality is.

Well, Danny Ferry is also the best GM Atlanta has ever had.  Just like Bud is the best coach they have ever had.

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Well, Danny Ferry is also the best GM Atlanta has ever had.  Just like Bud is the best coach they have ever had.

Danny Ferry could had the opportunity to move up and draft Giannis and decided on Dennis Schröder. If the greatest GM we've ever had would have done that, both Bud and Danny probably would still be here.  Yet he didn't so we are where we are at.  Danny was not a good drafter at some point you'll need to be one. 

That's the one thing Travis appears to be good at.  Let's see where he takes us.  

Also, Anthony Edwards palyed like poo in front of you.  What are your thoughts on him live? 

Edited by marco102

15 minutes ago, JTB said:

I hate to break it down like this but it’s likely the fear of striking out in free agency....so acquire the talent you’d go after now and go ahead and start the early negotiation to keep them once we land them in trade.

The chances of the Hawks striking out this summer are slim, there are not that many teams with a ton of capspace and the class doesn't have any superstars available.  We should be able to get some really good vets to round out the roster.

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Danny Ferry could had the opportunity to move up and draft Giannis and decided on Dennis Schröder. If the greatest GM we've ever had would have done that, both Bud and Danny probably would still be here.  Yet he didn't so we are were are at.  Danny was not a good drafter at some point you'll need to be one. 

That's the one thing Travis appears to be good at.  Let's see where he takes us.  

Also, Anthony Edwards palyed like poo in front of you.  What are your thoughts on him live? 

He looks like Victor Oladipo to me.  Great body.  Great frame.  Great athleticism.  Skill level is lagging behind.  He was disengaged defensively a lot, so I think he let his offensive struggles effect him on that end.  Made some good passes at times, but he doesn’t look like a guy who can initiate an offense.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm starting to lean toward a preference of trading the pick for an established player. Or at least strongly considering that move. I'm just less and less impressed that there's anyone in this draft that will end up elite. Hawks need more immediate impact players and I dont see that so far from the draft. 

Depending on if we land the number 1 pick or not ...it will probably be possible to trade the number one pick and get a good asset back BUT at what position?...

Say we get the number 1 pick and it’s decided to be traded 

Trae has PG position locked down 

Huerter has SG position locked down somewhat 

Cam will have SF position locked up at least in the small ball starting 5

Hunter will have PF position locked up at least in the small ball starting 5

Collins has either  PF position locked down in a traditional starting 5 or Center in a small ball starting 5

We really just need a starting traditional Center along with a very good bench and we will be much  much better but we don’t need to trade our pick to do any of this!
id rather continue starting the young guys along with very good role playing vets backing them up and have a good traditional center who can start and play major minutes when we need him too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He looks like Victor Oladipo to me.  Great body.  Great frame.  Great athleticism.  Skill level is lagging behind.  He was disengaged defensively a lot, so I think he let his offensive struggles effect him on that end.  Made some good passes at times, but he doesn’t look like a guy who can initiate an offense.  

I think Edwards is the one thing (besides a good starting center) that the Hawks are missing from their young players.  An athlete that can just get to the rim and get his own shot.  Trae does with Skill.  I'm for drafting Edwards and just  bringing him along slowly. He has the skill to be a great secondary playmakrer and before he injured his hip he was more engaged on the defensive end.  He is the second youngest player in this draft so there's so much to mold with him.

By all accounts I've read, he's a hard worker and the one thing if you draft him. I don't think he'll have a problem playing in College Park because he grew up near there and will fill up the arena.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The chances of the Hawks striking out this summer are slim, there are not that many teams with a ton of capspace and the class doesn't have any superstars available.  We should be able to get some really good vets to round out the roster.

We will get some talent FA but just because we have the most cap space doesn’t guarantee anything ! 

please! We can’t start thinking like knicks ...we got the cap space so they will come...nah not even .

i believe Schlenk is handling this the right way. Get some of these guys via trade like we did Teague and start negotiating early to keep them. Then get the rest in the off season to round out the bench rather than trying to get EVERYONE in FA cause we have the cap.

cap means nothing for the Atlanta hawks organization in the past . Unless trae being here has changed that I still don’t believe it means anything 

• Like 1

Just now, JTB said:

We will get some talent FA but just because we have the most cap space doesn’t guarantee anything ! 

please! We can’t start thinking like knicks ...we got the cap space so they will come...nah not even .

i believe Schlenk is handling this the right way. Get some of these guys via trade like we did Teague and start negotiating early to keep them. Then get the rest in the off season to round out the bench rather than trying to get EVERYONE in FA cause we have the cap.

cap means nothing for the Atlanta hawks organization in the past . Unless trae being here has changed that I still don’t believe it means anything 

The Hawks have never really struck out on role players.  There's a difference between thinking we can get good role players and thinking we are getting Lebron James. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The Hawks have never really struck out on role players.  There's a difference between thinking we can get good role players and thinking we are getting Lebron James. 

Maybe you’re right we will see...but clearly Schlenk is getting some guys now via trade . That’s not a bad thing to me 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Just as an aside, there is no need for the Hawks to meet the minimum payroll floor next year.  If they don't meet it, they just pay everyone on the roster an extra supplement so they end up hitting the floor.  Of course, I'd rather see them sign some solid vet next season to a JJ Reddick deal or trade for an Adams type to come in and give us strong, fundamental play even at a significant overpay on a short-term contract.  That will be about helping the young guys win and continuing their positive development.  The main reason to do an in-season trade for me is to promote better habits and development for our young guys.  I don't care much about our record this year (I view this as our last year in the upper lottery) - more about our competitiveness and development.  

As for the draft pick, I'm fine trading it for a young vet.  Just make it a smart deal and not a dumb one.  The dumb one category goes to lots of deals to "get better now" with things like the Ibaka trade, the Baron Davis trade (gave up Kyrie Irving for an old BD), the Gerald Wallace trade (stupid Nets gave up Damian Lilliard), the KG/PP trade (stupid Nets gave up a host of picks to Boston), the Joe Johnson trade (how'd you like those vets when JJ grew up?), etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I think Edwards is the one thing (besides a Good starting Center) that the Hawks are missing from their young player.  An athlete that can just get to the rim and get his own shot.  Trae does with Skill.  I'm for drafting Edwards and just  bringing him along slowly. He has the skill to be a great secondary playmakrer and before he injured his hip he was more engaged on the defensive end.  He is the second youngest player in this draft so there's so much to mold with him.

By all accounts I've read, he's a hard worker and the one thing if you draft him. I don't think he'll have a problem playing in College Park because he grew up near there and will fill up the arena.

Yeah my biggest concern is keeping the pick and not being able to draft him honestly and that’s not to say I wouldn’t be happy with wiseman.

i rather have a impactful player like Edwards who can atleast contribute as a scorer off the bench right away while getting the luxury to play with vets on the bench!

the perfect scenario in keeping our pick TO ME is drafting Edwards to play with a veteran based bench of good players!

bench...

Pg- teague

Sg- edwards

Sf-  add another vet maybe Marvin Williams or if we resign Parker....Bertans at SF and Parker or Trez at PF 

Pf- bertans 

C- Trez or Poethel 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just as an aside, there is no need for the Hawks to meet the minimum payroll floor next year.  If they don't meet it, they just pay everyone on the roster an extra supplement so they end up hitting the floor.  Of course, I'd rather see them sign some solid vet next season to a JJ Reddick deal or trade for an Adams type to come in and give us strong, fundamental play even at a significant overpay on a short-term contract.  That will be about helping the young guys win and continuing their positive development.  The main reason to do an in-season trade for me is to promote better habits and development for our young guys.  I don't care much about our record this year (I view this as our last year in the upper lottery) - more about our competitiveness and development.  

As for the draft pick, I'm fine trading it for a young vet.  Just make it a smart deal and not a dumb one.  The dumb one category goes to lots of deals to "get better now" with things like the Ibaka trade, the Baron Davis trade (gave up Kyrie Irving for an old BD), the Gerald Wallace trade (stupid Nets gave up Damian Lilliard), the KG/PP trade (stupid Nets gave up a host of picks to Boston), the Joe Johnson trade (how'd you like those vets when JJ grew up?), etc.

If we don't meet the floor next year then to me that's a sign that all this talk about Resseller being impatient and desperate to win is just bs.