• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

Put me down for Torrey Craig and Paul Millsap as our major off-season acquisitions. Craig I think can be the defender Thabo once was for us. Millsap I would think could signed for an affordable 1 or 2 year deal which would keep us more flexible for 2021 free agency.

I really don't see the need in Harrell if we're keeping Collins like we should. Harrell would be too expensive for a backup if he gets paid like he wants to. If you move Dedmon, then I could get behind paying Harrell, but otherwise I don't see it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2020 at 11:56 AM, Buzzard said:

Signing Crowder and Bertans is my perfect off season. We need some toughness off the bench, Crowder is that. We need a stretch four to back up Collins, Bertans is that. Both of these players are use to coming off the bench. They are perfect fits as far as I am concerned. SAP on a one year deal, sure if Bertans cannot be had.

22 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Put me down for Torrey Craig and Paul Millsap as our major off-season acquisitions. Craig I think can be the defender Thabo once was for us. Millsap I would think could signed for an affordable 1 or 2 year deal which would keep us more flexible for 2021 free agency.

If Schlenk doesn't make the run at #9 on the ESPN best 25 under 25 list... as I suspect he will 😜...  then the logic is stout that Schlenk will be doing more of what he's been doing since the tank launched: looking for value stocks among the middle and lower tiers of free agents.

Based on what free agent lists I'm seeing so far, Bertans seems likely to be among the pricier FAs on the market, though that possibly will be suppressed somewhat (if not significantly) by the lack of teams with cap room in the market.

I do not see that one at all, really. He only checks the shoot box, not the dribble box, nor the pass box.

Crowder might be more affordable than would have been predicted a year ago because he really hasn't distinguished himself this season.

I think that one could happen, but I think there will be better options.

Craig is the kind of sneaky under-the-radar pick-up that Schlenk seems to try to make, and I'm among the many who figure the theme of the 2020 free agent class is going to be that they all have a reputation... at least a reputation, and all the better if that rep is earned... for playing defense well.

I definitely think that one could happen, even though, still, I think there will be better options. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, for example, will cost more, but not significantly more, and yet, he'll also produce more, imo, at both ends of the court.

Millsap is more of a question mark because of his age, of course. And/but even if he's pricey, Schlenk may be eager to go after him to the degree that Sap is willing to accept a shorter contract. Schlenk has made remarks about Uncle Vince's value to the team that lead one to believe he's become convinced that having a competent, accomplished, still-productive senior voice on the team will be an annual priority.

Definitely think that could happen. Might end up being less about whether we want Sap, more about whether he's persuaded he would be coming to a legitimate 20-21 playoff team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sturt said:

If Schlenk doesn't make the run at #9 on the ESPN best 25 under 25 list... as I suspect he will 😜...  then the logic is stout that Schlenk will be doing more of what he's been doing since the tank launched: looking for value stocks among the middle and lower tiers of free agents.

Based on what free agent lists I'm seeing so far, Bertans seems likely to be among the pricier FAs on the market, though that possibly will be suppressed somewhat (if not significantly) by the lack of teams with cap room in the market.

I do not see that one at all, really. He only checks the shoot box, not the dribble box, nor the pass box.

Crowder might be more affordable than would have been predicted a year ago because he really hasn't distinguished himself this season.

Craig is the kind of sneaky under-the-radar pick-up that Schlenk seems to try to make, and I'm among the many who figure the theme of the 2020 free agent class is going to be that they all have a reputation... at least a reputation, and all the better if that rep is earned... for playing defense well.

I definitely think that one could happen, even though, still, I think there will be better options. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, for example, will cost more, but not significantly more, and yet, he'll also produce more, imo, at both ends of the court.

Millsap is more of a question mark because of his age, of course. And/but even if he's pricey, Schlenk may be eager to go after him to the degree that Sap is willing to accept a shorter contract. Schlenk has made remarks about Uncle Vince's value to the team that lead one to believe he's become convinced that having a competent, accomplished, still-productive senior voice on the team will be an annual priority.

Definitely think that could happen. Might end up being less about whether we want Sap, more about whether he's persuaded he would be coming to a legitimate 20-21 playoff team.

Is Ingram really gonna be available? I have to think the Pelicans match whatever offer he gets. They don't have anything better to spend their money on.

If he is available, then sure pay him now, figure it out later. Otherwise, I'd be wary of paying Bertrans. If his shot isn't falling, he doesn't contribute much else. I'd rather overpay for a year or two of Millsap since he at least gives us a veteran presence that we're familiar with. If he falls off, get someone else next FAcy and give Hunter or Labissiere minutes at PF.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Is Ingram really gonna be available? I have to think the Pelicans match whatever offer he gets.

11 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

They don't have anything better to spend their money on.

2020-03-06_2223.png

As it already is, they're w/o any projected cap space for this and the following off-seasons, and if they want to keep Lonzo Ball--they'll have an extension decision to make before October--that's going to have effect soon enough.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sturt said:

Even if Schlenk sees a big man rotation of Capela, Collins, Dedmon, Skal, Fernando as adequate, we still need to chase some shooting. I like the additions of Capela, Dedmon, and Skal a lot. They give us some real size and rebounding ability where it matters most, in the paint. Skal staying healthy is my biggest concern of the three; but I don't think he will be very expensive to keep.

The goal is the playoffs next season; our poor defense and three point shooting has to be improved.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

I just did a little research on our 3PT Shooting woes. While we where still horrible in January, in February we shot 36.7% from downtown which would put us as a fringe top 10 team in that category. Most of this is due though to John Collins and Deandre Hunter just going ballistic from three for that month. Its not a safe bet to think we will stay there the rest of the season.

What is glaringly obvious, once you get past Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, and Collins for February, is our bench totally sucks at shooting long distance. Graham who takes less than 2 threes a game is the only bench player we have who shot over 30% from three in February.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/atl/split/43

We have to get some shooting and LP needs to rein in players who can't shoot. Apparently we have a lot of them on our bench.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I just did a little research on our 3PT Shooting woes. While we where still horrible in January, in February we shot 36.7% from downtown which would put us as a fringe top 10 team in that category. Most of this is due though to John Collins and Deandre Hunter just going ballistic from three for that month. Its not a safe bet to think we will stay there the rest of the season.

What is glaringly obvious, once you get past Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, and Collins for February, is our bench totally sucks at shooting long distance. Graham who takes less than 2 threes a game is the only bench player we have who shot over 30% from three in February.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/atl/split/43

We have to get some shooting and LP needs to rein in players who can't shoot. Apparently we have a lot of them on our bench.

Which is why I keep saying, we need a PDS guy off the bench other than just Kevin next year. Maybe replacing Teague should be an option in the draft with someone like Hayes or Haliburton but honestly, getting a guy who can shoot threes off the bench other than Kevin next year will help. 

Trae/Potential Spot/Goodwin

Cam/Kevin/Potential Spot

Hunter/Potential Spot/Graham

Collins/Potential Spot/Skal

Capela/Dedmon/Bruno

We got four potential spots. Two draft picks and 50+ million in cap space. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, NBASupes said:

I really like Torrey Craig - https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/craigto01/splits/2020

Look at his splits in the 2nd half of the season. His shooting has been as hot as Cam's. 

I like Craig too. I saw you call him a 'generational defender' and decided to watch a replay of a Nuggets-Pelicans. While I wouldn't go that far, he was locking up Jrue Holiday, and kept Ingram in check whenever he was matched up on him. Clearly made the team better when he was on the court. If we could get him in the off-season we'd be a better team for it. He's a playoff run away from developing a Tony Allen-esque reputation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I like Craig too. I saw you call him a 'generational defender' and decided to watch a replay of a Nuggets-Pelicans. While I wouldn't go that far, he was locking up Jrue Holiday, and kept Ingram in check whenever he was matched up on him. Clearly made the team better when he was on the court. If we could get him in the off-season we'd be a better team for it. He's a playoff run away from developing a Tony Allen-esque reputation.

Yep! Defense isn't like offense, you gotta have a lot of eyes on you and your team for people to see that you are really damn good. Caruso is a good defender but till this year, most fans outside of Lakers fans didn't know it. Most fans don't even know Cam is a good defender and most don't even know he is our best defender. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Which is why I keep saying, we need a PDS guy off the bench other than just Kevin next year. Maybe replacing Teague should be an option in the draft with someone like Hayes or Haliburton but honestly, getting a guy who can shoot threes off the bench other than Kevin next year will help. 

Trae/Potential Spot/Goodwin

Cam/Kevin/Potential Spot

Hunter/Potential Spot/Graham

Collins/Potential Spot/Skal

Capela/Dedmon/Bruno

We got four potential spots. Two draft picks and 50+ million in cap space. 

I agree and have been crying as much about shooting as defense all season. In this NBA, unless you have LeBron and AD ( 17th in 3PT% ), we need to be able to shoot threes.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree and have been crying as much about shooting as defense all season. In this NBA, unless you have LeBron and AD ( 17th in 3PT% ), we need to be able to shoot threes.

That's the ultimate quarrel I have with our bench. Not enough shooting outside of Cam. 

Graham? No

VC? No

Teague? No

Bruno? No

I want to see Dedmon go back to last year Dedmon shooting wise. I also want to either replace Jeff with a PG in this draft or add a SF who can shoot but that's easier said than done. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sturt said:

As it already is, they're w/o any projected cap space for this and the following off-seasons, and if they want to keep Lonzo Ball--they'll have an extension decision to make before October--that's going to have effect soon enough.

Looking at that cap sheet, I don't think money will be an issue for the Pelicans. If they really don't want to pay luxury tax, Jrue Holiday can be moved for picks. They can resign Ingram and Lonzo for whatever the price, and keep them together. I have no idea what their plan is though, so maybe Ingram could be attainable.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That's the ultimate quarrel I have with our bench. Not enough shooting outside of Cam. 

Graham? No

VC? No

Teague? No

Bruno? No

I want to see Dedmon go back to last year Dedmon shooting wise. I also want to either replace Jeff with a PG in this draft or add a SF who can shoot but that's easier said than done. 

Huerter and Trae will do what they do shooting wise. Collins is becoming very solid from three. Cam is coming along and Hunter is quietly putting together one hell of a shooting run. Hunter shot .419 in two seasons at Virginia; so this .463 in February is to much to ask for, but I think somewhere around .400 is doable for him. I agree and think we could get by next season with one more solid shooter being added.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

I like Craig too. I saw you call him a 'generational defender' and decided to watch a replay of a Nuggets-Pelicans. While I wouldn't go that far, he was locking up Jrue Holiday, and kept Ingram in check whenever he was matched up on him. Clearly made the team better when he was on the court.

I like him. And it might be that when he's on the court, he doesn't have a lot of other good defenders surrounding him. But short of some explanation like that, the numbers do not support that the team does better when Craig has been on the court. Quite the contrary.

2020-03-07_0814.png

2020-03-07_0821.png

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Jrue Holiday can be moved for picks.

Watching their game vs. LAL this past week, it's clear to me that, short of a coaching/philosophy change, Holiday is not just a starter, but is a part of their core. They rely on him. So, yes, he can be moved, I just don't think they're at all inclined to do that. And I do think they will re-sign Ingram. I'm just saying... as others nationally have said that other NBA execs have said... that it's not a slam dunk. The jury is out on his long-term value even after him having earned his first ASG appearance.

There is going to be some indigestion in NOP if they have to fork over max or near-max years and money for Ingram. My estimate has been a 70% chance that they swallow hard and do the deal.

But for our part, there's practically no reason not to force the issue, and see what happens... unless, that is, Schlenk truly doesn't even want him, and knowing Schlenk, he doesn't always embrace popular opinion in these things.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

New 3/7 radar...

2020-03-07_0835.png

I've already made a case for Ingram and Millsap, so I'll just address the changes, fwiw...

- Ferrell (UFA) replaces Teague on my list because we need some significant defensive improvement in that slot, and Ferrell is among the best free agent options in the pool. He's not exceptional, but the list of exceptional options is limited to just Kris Dunn, and as an RFA, I think there's a good chance he gets overpaid by someone. Ferrell is a Shelvin Mack type fit, imo, and with Haliburton's addition, I think we're in really good shape there.

- Nwaba (UFA) effectively replaces Goodwin because part of the beauty of drafting Haliburton is that he gives you some flexibility in who you pursue in free agency, and Nwaba prior to his mid-season achilles injury was emerging as a serious asset in Brooklyn on both ends of the court. Until now, I'd overlooked him, and if he hadn't been injured, he probably would be too pricey. Goodwin's star isn't shining as brightly these last few weeks, so that depth chart slot is becoming more vulnerable to the degree that we see Pierce is choosing to play him less. Oh. And. Nwaba has spent meaningful minutes at point guard, too.

- Caboclo (UFA) replaces Carroll because, for now, Carroll is appearing to have hit a wall, and to the point that it's made a splatting sound. I liked the romantic notion of the guy who the 2015 team considered their emotional leader coming back, and doing for us what he had done for Brooklyn the last few years--being a stout defender and a capable offensive producer who can be deployed at both the wing and in the post. And it's still plausible that he has something left in the tank, but that it's just been a really unfortunate career decision to play in SAS, and now HOU. He will go cheap this off-season, unless he decides to take his show overseas and get a last decent-sized paycheck in Asia or Europe. Caboclo is more of a placeholder here than he necessarily is a wanted man in the way that Ferrell or Nwaba would be. I'd be practically as satisfied to just leave that depth chart slot open and let it be filled by some emerging and uncommitted summer league star. But having said that, Caboclo has been and continues to be one of those fascinating players whose body type and athleticism ooze with potential, and he will be 25 in September.  That he hasn't yet distinguished himself is a curse and a blessing--but that's exactly the kind of player that would be affordable and would fit into what amounts to the 15th player role. He's about 6 months older than Labissiere, and it's not a huge leap to say Caboclo has the look of a SF equivalent of Skal.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I like him. And it might be that when he's on the court, he doesn't have a lot of other good defenders surrounding him. But short of some explanation like that, the numbers do not support that the team does better when Craig has been on the court. Quite the contrary.

2020-03-07_0814.png

2020-03-07_0821.png

These numbers are always disingenuous. A lot of noise as what you give up might have little to do with Craig. If you watch him defend, he is awesome. 

14 minutes ago, sturt said:

New 3/7 radar...

2020-03-07_0835.png

I've already made a case for Ingram and Millsap, so I'll just address the changes, fwiw...

- Ferrell (UFA) replaces Teague on my list because we need some significant defensive improvement in that slot, and Ferrell is among the best free agent options in the pool. He's not exceptional, but the list of exceptional options is limited to just Kris Dunn, and as an RFA, I think there's a good chance he gets overpaid by someone. Ferrell is a Shelvin Mack type fit, imo, and with Haliburton's addition, I think we're in really good shape there.

- Nwaba (UFA) effectively replaces Goodwin because part of the beauty of drafting Haliburton is that he gives you some flexibility in who you pursue in free agency, and Nwaba prior to his mid-season achilles injury was emerging as a serious asset in Brooklyn on both ends of the court. Until now, I'd overlooked him, and if he hadn't been injured, he probably would be too pricey. Goodwin's star isn't shining as brightly these last few weeks, so that depth chart slot is becoming more vulnerable to the degree that we see Pierce is choosing to play him less. Oh. And. Nwaba has spent meaningful minutes at point guard, too.

- Caboclo (UFA) replaces Carroll because, for now, Carroll is appearing to have hit a wall, and to the point that it's made a splatting sound. I liked the romantic notion of the guy who the 2015 team considered their emotional leader coming back, and doing for us what he had done for Brooklyn the last few years--being a stout defender and a capable offensive producer who can be deployed at both the wing and in the post. And it's still plausible that he has something left in the tank, but that it's just been a really unfortunate career decision to play in SAS, and now HOU. He will go cheap this off-season, unless he decides to take his show overseas and get a last decent-sized paycheck in Asia or Europe. Caboclo is more of a placeholder here than he necessarily is a wanted man in the way that Ferrell or Nwaba would be. I'd be practically as satisfied to just leave that depth chart slot open and let it be filled by some emerging and uncommitted summer league star. But having said that, Caboclo has been and continues to be one of those fascinating players whose body type and athleticism ooze with potential, and he will be 25 in September.  That he hasn't yet distinguished himself is a curse and a blessing--but that's exactly the kind of player that would be affordable and would fit into what amounts to the 15th player role. He's about 6 months older than Labissiere, and it's not a huge leap to say Caboclo has the look of a SF equivalent of Skal.

I like Ferrell personally as I am a family friend but he doesn't fit what we need from a #2. We need someone who can run the offense. That's why Jeff been a big help since he's been here on offense.

Edited by NBASupes