• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

I'd rather have Crowder but Craig would be a good plan B. I'd offer either of them $8-12M a year for 3 yrs. Overpay Sap on a 1+1 (Team option) deal for $20M. Bring back Jeff on a 1 yr deal, hopefully no more than $3M.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

These numbers are always disingenuous.

Overstatement.

We agree that there can be some hidden explanation underlying such numbers, especially from a single season. Can be. That's precisely why I prefaced the numbers with a plausible explanation.

However, the numbers are the numbers. They are objective, and they point to one or more conclusions, some more reasonable than others.

Just now, sturt said:

Overstatement.

We agree that there can be some hidden explanation underlying such numbers, especially from a single season. Can be. That's precisely why I prefaced the numbers with a plausible explanation.

However, the numbers are the numbers. They are objective, and they point to one or more conclusions, some more reasonable than others.

But they are. They are always disingenuous. Due to the minutes he plays, his team defense numbers can be heavily skewed. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We need someone who can run the offense.

I don't know what you mean by this where it pertains to Ferrell. Some people think that's really mostly all he's good for. But his defense is above average, and again, I'm one who believes that's a seeeeeeerious need, and is why we can't seeeeriously put up with Teague in that role any more.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

But they are. They are always disingenuous. Due to the minutes he plays, his team defense numbers can be heavily skewed. 

1. Always be careful about using the term always.

2. I noticed your second verb was "can be." Which is the verb I used.

3. Circling back to the original wording of the statement made...

"Clearly made the team better when he was on the court."

The numbers are the numbers. He did not make the team better than when he was off the court.

To your newer point (I think?), we can't really know very well if he made the other 4 players on the floor better than they would have been with the average replacement... but maybe.

4. Some players look better playing defense than their results actually affirm. I know more than one of us thought, for instance, Jabari played defense better than we'd anticipated, and yet the results always... er.... often 🙂 ... turned out to betray his effort. Maybe that's where we agree, but I won't put words in your mouth.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

New 3/7 radar...

2020-03-07_0835.png

I've already made a case for Ingram and Millsap, so I'll just address the changes, fwiw...

- Ferrell (UFA) replaces Teague on my list because we need some significant defensive improvement in that slot, and Ferrell is among the best free agent options in the pool. He's not exceptional, but the list of exceptional options is limited to just Kris Dunn, and as an RFA, I think there's a good chance he gets overpaid by someone. Ferrell is a Shelvin Mack type fit, imo, and with Haliburton's addition, I think we're in really good shape there.

- Nwaba (UFA) effectively replaces Goodwin because part of the beauty of drafting Haliburton is that he gives you some flexibility in who you pursue in free agency, and Nwaba prior to his mid-season achilles injury was emerging as a serious asset in Brooklyn on both ends of the court. Until now, I'd overlooked him, and if he hadn't been injured, he probably would be too pricey. Goodwin's star isn't shining as brightly these last few weeks, so that depth chart slot is becoming more vulnerable to the degree that we see Pierce is choosing to play him less. Oh. And. Nwaba has spent meaningful minutes at point guard, too.

- Caboclo (UFA) replaces Carroll because, for now, Carroll is appearing to have hit a wall, and to the point that it's made a splatting sound. I liked the romantic notion of the guy who the 2015 team considered their emotional leader coming back, and doing for us what he had done for Brooklyn the last few years--being a stout defender and a capable offensive producer who can be deployed at both the wing and in the post. And it's still plausible that he has something left in the tank, but that it's just been a really unfortunate career decision to play in SAS, and now HOU. He will go cheap this off-season, unless he decides to take his show overseas and get a last decent-sized paycheck in Asia or Europe. Caboclo is more of a placeholder here than he necessarily is a wanted man in the way that Ferrell or Nwaba would be. I'd be practically as satisfied to just leave that depth chart slot open and let it be filled by some emerging and uncommitted summer league star. But having said that, Caboclo has been and continues to be one of those fascinating players whose body type and athleticism ooze with potential, and he will be 25 in September.  That he hasn't yet distinguished himself is a curse and a blessing--but that's exactly the kind of player that would be affordable and would fit into what amounts to the 15th player role. He's about 6 months older than Labissiere, and it's not a huge leap to say Caboclo has the look of a SF equivalent of Skal.

I failed to mention possibly the biggest bonus of that last addition to the sturt radar...

There have been only 3 Brunos in NBA history, and two of those will have worn a Hawks uniform. And we would all wait in eager, salivating anticipation of the first Bruno-to-Bruno lob and slam.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The turmoil in BKN may make it easier for Joe Harris to move on.....to the Hawks!

Joe Harris should be a top target for the Hawks.  The Hawks sorely need talent on the wings.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Draft a PG. Teague is fried. 

10 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm one who believes that's a seeeeeeerious need, and is why we can't seeeeriously put up with Teague in that role any more.

On 2/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, sturt said:

Current PGs effectiveness is not even as daunting as this fence.

giphy.gif

This team roster cries out for some stronger defensive assets, and particularly so on the ball.

• Haha 2

I liked Supes diagram of where we have "potential spots".  Even though we are loaded with young 2/3s, that is likely the type player that we will be able to pick up.  We are still in a position where we have to find another all star level player.  As long as they don't play PG we can fit them in.  If we are just filling out the roster, a better backup PG, 3, or 4 are our biggest needs.  I like all the Bradley Beal talk myself.  Other than that pretty much everything else I've heard discussed just gives us better depth. 

I haven’t changed my mind.

Frontcourt help: Christian Wood, Bertans and Ibaka, best fits for us. We could even go with Baynes. Best prize is Wood.

Wing hell: Joe Harris, Crowder, Bogdanovic, Korkmaz

PG options: Don’t like any, perhaps Dragic, too expensive. Napier is the best but I am not sure about the fit with Young, ideally we need a big PG with good defense that can run the point but Napier is really a good player. 

Dream scenario for me Wood, Crowder, Joe Harris and draft Halliburton. Sign all of them for less than 10m$ and keep cap space for next year FA class. 

I would add that real dream scenario would involve trading Dedmon for a good PG and sign Baynes for a really cheap contract

Young/Backup/Haliburton

Reddish/Huerter/Halliburton

Hunter/Harris/Crowder

Collins/Wood/Crowder

Capela/Baynes/Bruno

13 guys rotation with 2 spots for a young PF and a young wing like Skal Labissiere and a Nwaba for example. 

Edited by gurpilo

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Dream scenario for me Wood, Crowder, Joe Harris and draft Halliburton. Sign all of them for less than 10m$ and keep cap space for next year FA class. 

That's quite the dream. All of them for less than $10m? I'll grant you that it's going to be a very difficult market for players, given how few teams there will be with any cap space, but even given that circumstance, I'll be surprised to see Wood, Harris, or any one from Spud's list get less than $10m on their own, let alone any 3 collectively.

28 minutes ago, sturt said:

Spud's list get less than $10m

Sorry I should have indicated not overpaying and I realize a few on that list will get overpaid like Freddy VanVleet. But I don’t mind paying a bit more (if it’s only a bit) to have a nice lil bench mob that’s capable starting with my backup quarterback! (I realize that’s a back reference because backup qbs don’t get burn but you get it, my leader of the offense, the igniter.

hace 30 minutos, sturt dijo:

That's quite the dream. All of them for less than $10m? I'll grant you that it's going to be a very difficult market for players, given how few teams there will be with any cap space, but even given that circumstance, I'll be surprised to see Wood, Harris, or any one from Spud's list get less than $10m on their own, let alone any 3 collectively.

No, no I meant 10 each, sorry. 10 for Wood is a good price for me, 10 for Harris, too much for me, I would go for Korkmaz or someone else. 10 for Crowder, no way, look for other cheaper option

hace 2 minutos, Spud2nique dijo:

Sorry I should have indicated not overpaying and I realize a few on that list will get overpaid like Freddy VanVleet. But I don’t mind paying a bit more (if it’s only a bit) to have a nice lil bench mob that’s capable starting with my backup quarterback! (I realize that’s a back reference because backup qbs don’t get burn but you get it, my leader of the offense, the igniter.

Bertans and Van Fleet I think are going to ve at 15m$. If they go down to 10 million range definately are worth a gamble. I like Wood more than Bertans. Van Fleet is the best PG option, no doubt. He can start with Trae and bring defense.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Bertans and Van Fleet I think are going to ve at 15m$. If they go down to 10 million range definately are worth a gamble. I like Wood more than Bertans. Van Fleet is the best PG option, no doubt. He can start with Trae and bring defense.

A mini me starting backcourt???  Hell naw. He maybe a good defensive PG....but he won't be able to guard SGs...he's 6'-0".

Earlier reports had FVV getting $20 million.

Here's my list:

PG: Kris Dunn

Wings: Joe Harris, Malik Beasley, Maurice Harkless, Korkmaz

PF: Davis Bertans, Montrezl Harrell, Paul Milsap, Christian Wood

• Like 2