• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

Have we discussed Andre Roberson as a free agent target ??? I know he’s coming off a serious injury but if healthy and IF he’s even close to being the same defender schlenk should consider going after him. He’s only 28 as well which isn’t ultra old for the nba though he’s getting up there 

4 minutes ago, JTB said:

Have we discussed Andre Roberson as a free agent target ??? I know he’s coming off a serious injury but if healthy and IF he’s even close to being the same defender schlenk should consider going after him. He’s only 28 as well which isn’t ultra old for the nba though he’s getting up there 

Is he alive?

ETA.  Prove it

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

EarlyBirdRights has us @ $49m to spend, which represents about 30% of all the cap space in the entire market for 2020.

2020-03-08_1455.png

Good for us. Theoretically, practically any UFA we would want we'll be able to win the bidding. And we'll be able to force practically any RFAs' teams to make some hard choices.

Then, there's the bad for us. The most desirable players with player options are likely to not exercise those options, preferring to enter the market when there's more likely competition for their services. And probably most bad for us is, again, that anything we do this off-season that isn't a 1-year deal is going to directly subtract from what we can do in July 2021. So, to the degree that you decide to spend for a player in 2020, you take away from the capacity to compete in the wider and deeper pool in 2021... and that's even more dire if you imagine Collins getting an extension this October.

All of that to say, I think Schlenk wants to come out of these next two Julys with one max or near-max free agent. That's the premise that will frame everything else he does. That's because anyone who isn't a talent worth max or near-max is, by definition, a talent that is more obtainable in any other year anyway.

So, if Schlenk doesn't spend $28-35m this July on that kind of talent (and there's only AD and arguably BI who are even in that category), he's going to be motivated to spend no more than $15-22m this July in order to maintain the mere possibility that obtaining a max or near-max could happen in July 2021.

For that reason, I'm inclined to think that pumping the brakes on expectations for acquiring 2 or 3 of the most coveted free agents is smart.

Now, that changes to the degree that the market proves to be sooooo suppressed that we see deep discounts develop, and with that, players prepared to accept one-year contracts as a bridge to a more normal market next July.

That would seem to be our dream scenario, which would boost our 2020 playoff hopes with minimal impact on our 2021 free agent hopes.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, JTB said:

Been reading up on his status. He's only now even showing up on a practice floor in OKC, and there's a lot of skepticism as to whether he'll come back with the physical ability to be the elite defender he's been, assuming he gets back. His knee injury was really, really bad. If he's not an elite defender anymore, no real reason to be motivated to pursue him.

hace 2 horas, JayBirdHawk dijo:

A mini me starting backcourt???  Hell naw. He maybe a good defensive PG....but he won't be able to guard SGs...he's 6'-0".

Earlier reports had FVV getting $20 million.

Here's my list:

PG: Kris Dunn

Wings: Joe Harris, Malik Beasley, Maurice Harkless, Korkmaz

PF: Davis Bertans, Montrezl Harrell, Paul Milsap, Christian Wood

Well he is starting with Lowry and is working fine, he could do the same with Trae. Not my preferred option though. 

Dunn is a bad basketball player although I agree might work for us on 10-15 min. Other options might be Mudiay and Clarkson. Miney must be invested on players playing a meaningful role, I can see that on Wood, Beasley.... not so much on Harris, Crowder.... if Reddish, Huerter and Hunter meet expectations. Beasley I think is better than Huerter honestly speaking.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I can see it now Cap 🧢. Hawks win the 2023 finals behind Trae and VanVleet yet you are still grimacing while taking a picture 🤳🏿 with the trophy 🏆 on Hawks fan day. 😂 #gobigorgohome

That thought scares me

• Haha 2

1. Harrell - Priority signing, get it done TS like the Capela trade

2. Harris

3. Gallinari if we miss on Harris

4. Avery Bradley if we miss on Danilo

5t. Josh Jackson as the 5th wing

OR

5t. Kenrich Williams as the 5th wing

Sadly, the FA market is garbage for backup PGs but the draft is insanely strong for them. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, JTB said:

I think he's done as an effective defender which was his calling card. His offense is bad so he won't be able to offer much. Pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

2. Harris

3. Gallinari if we miss on Harris

4. Avery Bradley if we miss on Danilo

OR

5t. Kenrich Williams as the 5th wing

Sadly, the FA market is garbage for backup PGs but the draft is insanely strong for them. 

Wait, who's your Harris?

Also, I don't see my guy on your list (Harry Giles).  Feel free to re-think your top 5 accordingly. 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Wait, who's your Harris?

Also, I don't see my guy on your list (Harry Giles).  Feel free to re-think your top 5 accordingly. 😉

Joe Harris. 

Giles knees is well... in terrible shape. While he might have several years left, I am not sure he has much longer than that left. 

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Joe Harris. 

Giles knees is well... in terrible shape. While he might have several years left, I am not sure he has much longer than that left. 

Ah, ok.  I do wonder if, now that the Nets are starting to implode (make no mistake, Atkinson leaving isn't the end.  It's the beginning), does that mean a guy like Harris can shake loose.

All things being equal, I would've assumed he'd re-sign there since he's the only one there that's an actual fit for the Kyme/Durant iso-fest that's coming.

On Giles, I'm basically suggesting signing up (for cheap) for the good years he has left.

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ah, ok.  I do wonder if, now that the Nets are starting to implode (make no mistake, Atkinson leaving isn't the end.  It's the beginning), does that mean a guy like Harris can shake loose.

All things being equal, I would've assumed he'd re-sign there since he's the only one there that's an actual fit for the Kyme/Durant iso-fest that's coming.

On Giles, I'm basically suggesting signing up (for cheap) for the good years he has left.

The problem is we can pay him but does he want to come to Atlanta 

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

we can pay him but does he want to come to Atlanta

For the vast majority of professional athletes, history has shown they don't want to pay even $100,000 just to play in a specific city, and certainly not a million or more... and effectively, of course, that's what they do when they decline to go to the highest bidder.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, kg01 said:

does that mean a guy like Harris can shake loose

He's a UFA, so there are only two things holding him back--does BKN love him so much that they use their Bird privileges to give him a 5th year (doubtful @ 29 yrs old), and does BKN at least match whatever ends up being his best offer (possible).

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

2. Harris

All of which, you imagine will cost what at the most, and what at the least?

1 minute ago, sturt said:

He's a UFA, so there are only two things holding him back--does BKN love him so much that they use their Bird privileges to give him a 5th year (doubtful @ 29 yrs old), and does BKN at least match whatever ends up being his best offer (possible).

What I was suggesting is things may be toxic enough that he'd want out.  In which case, a comparable offer could cause him to shake loose.

I was listening to comments from the new group (D. Jordan) and the old group (Levert) and they were really drastically different w.r.t. the Atkinson situation.  Jordan combatively (is that a word?) refuted the idea that the new guys had an issue with Kenni ... which is a fairly obvious indication that there were issues.  Levert defended the coach saying he (Kenni) hadn't lost his voice or w/e (which is what the GM said happened).

That lockerroom is splintered.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

What I was suggesting is things may be toxic enough that he'd want out.  In which case, a comparable offer could cause him to shake loose.

I was listening to comments from the new group (D. Jordan) and the old group (Levert) and they were really drastically different w.r.t. the Atkinson situation.  Jordan combatively (is that a word?) refuted the idea that the new guys had an issue with Kenni ... which is a fairly obvious indication that there were issues.  Levert defended the coach saying he (Kenni) hadn't lost his voice or w/e (which is what the GM said happened).

That lockerroom is splintered.

Sounds like the Bulls a few short years ago when Dwade joined and he and Butler splintered with the younger guys.

It'll be interesting to know which side of the aisle Harris falls under. Existing vs new players.

• Like 1