• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Your pretty damn good at it cat so maybe a novel is available under the same pen name?

Damn good at long William F Buckley like essays?... hehe...

I admit, I enjoyed the writing, but it also could put me to sleep.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Soooooooooooooo.... this just in.... consider Skip's options #2 and #3... offered in the first two minutes here... as it pertains to the previous conversations about the brotherly connection between the #1 pick and the "old" All-Star, or lack thereof... again, not that it matters in the end, because whatever happens will happen purely on the basis of money and years... but it's at least interesting, and as interesting that there's no #4...

... ie, #4 being, "There was no sarcasm in any way, he's just giving sincere love to his brother."

Of the three, Haynes is the only one with any apparent insight worth noting, though (... the other two not actually knowing Ingram first-hand), and he said he's inclined to think the remark was good-natured ribbing because he knows Zion would rather not have quite so much attention.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

You did. I appreciated that... so much so, that I replied with direct counterpoints. Didn't skip off to some other angles. Just sat right there and spoke to his defense, just as you cited.

And it's fine if the topic is now spinach to you. I won't take it as a sign of disrespect if you disengage. That's fine, really. It's not spinach to me because this is the the single solitary one young, pending free agent player considered a threat to summit the top tier that we would seem to have even a 30% shot at signing in July 2020 or July 2021. There are no others in that category that we can hope to attract.

(But heck, what am I saying... I like spinach anyhow... Popeye sold me when I was a kid. 🙂 )

Popeye-Eating-Spinach-87170.gif

Still, I'll answer this.

I suppose your counterpoint is "well I was citing his on/off numbers, and those aren't position specific." Indeed, they are not position specific. Agreed.

But/and... we both know this, just like we both know they are not player-specific... on/off numbers are inherently handicapped by the question of who the other 4 players are who are most typically on the court for the most minutes when that player is on the court... and conversely... the same question pertains to the off-court numbers.

For them to be as compelling as you seem to want to make them, you'd have to have a roster of just 6

Spinach served.

Push away from the table if you please. 🙂

Thanks, I have said about as much as I can; other than if Schlenk chases him and we end up with Ingram I will support him. The same as I do all our players. I am going to go get me a steak and baked potato now 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Thanks, I have said about as much as I can; other than if Schlenk chases him and we end up with Ingram I will support him. The same as I do all our players. I am going to go get me a steak and baked potato now 🙂

I kept checking to see how long you would keep going. 😆

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Pivoting... at least for the moment 🙂 ...

If we assume Schlenk is not interested in Ingram, what then?

Use the cap space on support players, and have faith that the rest of the young core will develop?

Or.

Rent out the cap space in exchange for more draft picks, in hopes that you can then flip picks for players you really want... similar to what just happened in acquiring Capela... ?

Or something else?

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

On 1/30/2020 at 8:24 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

It all depends on if we make any significant trades at the deadline.

I'll tell you after - 1 week to go!

On 2/5/2020 at 3:20 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

This is my thought as well. I don't think we'll blow all our cap on 2020. I think we'll again look for a deal with bad money for a future 1st rounder, to maintain flexibility for 2021.

With Capela on board, projected capspace for 2020 is now at ~$58 mil.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

So, with the trade deadline over, here's my list:

Bertans, a bench SG and SF.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:59 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

PF - Davis Bertans

SG - Malik Beasley (was hoping we'd get him at the deadline)

SF - still searching.

what then?

Use the cap space on support players, and have faith that the rest of the young core will develop?

Or.

Rent out the cap space in exchange for more draft picks, in hopes that you can then flip picks for players you really want... similar to what just happened in acquiring Capela... ?

Or something else?

See my thoughts from pages 3 and 4.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

If we go through this and next off-season w/o having obtained a top-tier free agent while we had the pretty rare and fortunate opportunity of having big-time cap space, that will be sad. But some things remain out of our grasp to control--in this case, a severe shortage of top tier free agents hitting the market in 2020, and in 2021, a severe spike in the number of competitors that well out-numbers the increased inventory of top tier free agents.

Think the best use of that cap space, then, will be mainly to accumulate more draft picks.

So, free agent wise, keep acquiring basically the same kind of support players that we've been doing, such as the Dedmons of the world, who are buy-low-sell-high candidates... in investment terms, value stocks... good upside but not especially highly-sought... and so, not anyone who is going to require much money or years.

Conserve that 2020 and 2021 cap space for deals that bring first round picks... thus giving you some currency to spend even when all the cap space is gone, whether spending it on actual talent in future drafts, or as trade chips as new opportunities might emerge.

Not very appealing or exciting.

But would seem to be a smarter overall strategy than splurging on the current likely-pricey hot stocks like Bertrans or Harrell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sturt said:

Pivoting... at least for the moment 🙂 ...

If we assume Schlenk is not interested in Ingram, what then?

Or.

Or something else?

I don’t think Schlenk is going to do anything that will potentially block the time for one of the young core players anyway.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yes and no.

I think you're right that he's not going to be interested in obtaining LBJ... or anyone in that vein... because LBJ will be getting to close to retirement and you'd be paying more for the short-term sizzle of having him on your roster than you'd be getting steak.

But if it came to light that Giannis has quietly kept to himself that he's always had his heart set on some day playing for the Atlanta Hawks, then there is almost no one who would doubt Schlenk would be all-in on that. The young wings' minutes would just have to deal with it. My guess is that any top tier player who would be 30 or less in the 2021 off-season, Schlenk would love to use that cap space on. The grand design, I believe, always has been to acquire some incredible booster rocket, coming at a time when the young core would "have their sea legs," past the initial adjustments of NBA life both on-court and off-court.

But is it reasonable to think there would be any of those?

No. Sad to say, it's not. That's the reality, at least as things stand today.

Maybe after we finally win a championship, or maybe even merely get to an NBA Finals, that would change. Almost none of us think that will happen for us next season, so going into the 2021 off-season free agent market, short of some revelation as imagined above with Giannis letting it slip that he loves ATL, it's irrational to strategize as-if we should expect, say, Kawhi, to come here.

• Like 2

I think by the time season ends we will realize we have two stars on Young and Collins and some robust building blocks in Huerter, Reddish, Hunter and Capela. After the draft we will another solid building block in Haliburton, Cole Anthony, Toppin or Okongwu and then the FO will need to decide. Clearly we will be lacking defense, size and some veteran presence, shooting will also be a priority. Assuming we get a backup PG on the draft I think we will go after a PF with shooting capability (Bertans and Wood are my options) a SF (Crowder I think fits best) and a wing (Joe Harris, Beasley, Korkmaz). These are my choices as FAs we should go after, make a solid team, make the playoffa and save cap for 2021. This team will be top 6 team

Young/Haliburton/Goodwin

Reddish/Huerter/Harris

Hunter/Crowder/Reddish

Collins/Wood/Crowder

Capela/Dedmon/Fernando

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, gurpilo said:

save cap for 2021

Will be surprised to see much left over if we were to have Crowder, Bertrans and Harris. But one thing I might not be giving enough credit is that, again, it will be as buyers market as it ever gets, so that could lead in itself to some more digestible prices.

• Like 1

hace 2 horas, sturt dijo:

Will be surprised to see much left over if we were to have Crowder, Bertrans and Harris. But one thing I might not be giving enough credit is that, again, it will be as buyers market as it ever gets, so that could lead in itself to some more digestible prices.

I don't think Cowder or Harris should command more than 6-8m$, specially Crowder. Bertans is probably going to require around 15m$ to sign that is why I think we should go with Wood for 10 or less, I like Wood more than Bertans.

If Harris requires 10-12 to sign I would give that money to Beasley and see what happens.

Edited by gurpilo

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I don't think Cowder or Harris should command more than 6-8m$, specially Crowder. Bertans is probably going to require around 15m$ to sign that is why I think we should go with Wood for 10 or less, I like Wood more than Bertans.

If Harris requires 10-12 to sign I would give that money to Beasley and see what happens.

FTR, Beasley turned down a 3yr/$30 mil extension from Denver at the start of the season.

Crowder and Harris are currently making $7.8 mil and $7.6 mil respectively, I think they'll be looking for more than $8 mil.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Harris's agent would laugh at 6-8. This is the NBA hombre, aside from replacement level scrubs, players do not come cheap.

Thinking with the Coronavirus stuff maybe SL will be packed to the gills with more player entries. Whether they have been used to the China and Euro contracts or not. As they say "Safety First". Weird times. 

11 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Crowder is already making $7mill a year.  He at least will want to get a little raise.

6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Harris's agent would laugh at 6-8. This is the NBA hombre, aside from replacement level scrubs, players do not come cheap.

Yeah I read on Hoops hype a few months back that they think he could get double of what he is making now (9 mill per year).   I personally would not give over $15 million per season.