Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

He won't next year if we land Harrell unless injuries. 

I don't think he should period. His shooting and rebounds are both up in February. I think he can be a stout SF if we can stop playing out of position. Fernando should be given a fair shot at PF instead of Vince and Hunter. LP seems to think Vince and/or Hunter gives us a shot at winning despite the obvious season long results.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

My newest revision is nostalgic gold. Not one, not two, but three of the last "young core" reuniting in support of the new young core. 🙂

Horford also engaged Millsap in a fiery Chess with Friends rivalry. “He’s very methodical. He plays pretty slow,” Millsap said. “I’m more aggressive. I trade pieces in a minute. I’m a straight to the point kind of guy.” The varied personalities of Atlanta’s starting unit helped their chemistry. “Jeff was probably the instigator of the group,” Korver told The Crossover. “Kyle is a thinker and he was definitely one of our leaders,” said Horford. “The heart of that group would probably be DeMarre,” Teague added.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/17/nba-playoffs-hawks-celtics-cavaliers-al-horford-jeff-teague-kyle-korver

Of course, I keep Ingram as a target on the radar, and the only other change to the depth chart is that though we still draft Haliburton, he fills a SG slot here instead of a PG slot, since I've succumbed to the thought of keeping Teague... but I still would hope to see Haliburton getting quite a bit of floor time as his first year progresses.

2020-02-23_1724.png

On 2/18/2020 at 2:44 PM, gurpilo said:

I agree, signing players like Joe Harris, Bertans, Crowder or Korkmaz should be a priority, I think we might need 2 to be competitive.

Young/Halliburton/Goodwin 

Harris/Huerter/Reddish

Hunter/Crowder/Reddish

Collins/Bertans/Wood

Capela/Dedmon/Fernando 

let’s go conference finals!!

Hawks need a vet backup pg imo...And Reddish behind Harris AND Huerter next season? Cant see that happening. 

22 minutes ago, sturt said:

My newest revision is nostalgic gold. Not one, not two, but three of the last "young core" reuniting in support of the new young core. 🙂

Of course, I keep Ingram as a target on the radar, and the only other change to the depth chart is that though we still draft Haliburton, he fills a SG slot here instead of a PG slot, since I've succumbed to the thought of keeping Teague... but I still would hope to see Haliburton getting quite a bit of floor time as his first year progresses.

2020-02-23_1724.png

N.O. will max Ingram.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

We max him first, and at least force their hand. I keep saying this... I'm counting on a scenario that plays out like Horford to BOS did.

That relies on them not being willing to give him the max.  Reports are they will offer him more than anyone else can offer so there won’t be a match opportunity.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

That relies on them not being willing to give him the max.  Reports are they will offer him more than anyone else can offer so there won’t be a match opportunity.  

Right. We've covered this. And so, this is where I respond again that that's what they all say at this point of every year, when the player they didn't extend is doing good stuff. There is no disincentive to say positive stuff.

And again, I reference what was going on with us and Horford in the lead-up to his departure.

When it gets serious, it will get serious.

I say we've got an especially decent shot if one of two things happen: (a) he's able to claim one of the 15 All-NBA slots at the end of the season, jumping his max to $34m range or (b) he gets injured... again... and that will throw up a decent-sized yellow flag.

Then, too... we have this that would seem to support the assertion that there is reason for conjecture about exactly what Ingram will get offered...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28737693/nine-chaotic-moments-shake-suddenly-stable-nba

5. How will the lack of cap space impact this summer?

What's at stake: Only a few teams are currently projected to have significant cap space in July. And each of them -- the Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Charlotte Hornets and New York Knicks -- is either in an undesirable free-agent destination, a terrible team or both.

Combine that with a lackluster free-agent class and this summer should be dominated by sign-and-trade talk, key midlevel additions, player option decisions and possibly drawn-out restricted free agent negotiations.

What happens with New Orleans Pelicans All-Star Brandon Ingram in restricted free agency is more divisive. Most executives believe Ingram isn't worth a max contract, which makes his future difficult to predict.

"I wonder if [Pelicans executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin] will hardball [Ingram] and say, 'Get an offer,'" one executive asked. "Where is he getting it from?"

Another exec went the other way, suggesting Griffin could offer Ingram a full max to ensure he couldn't take a short-term deal elsewhere, cementing him as the No. 2 option alongside Zion Williamson.

"Securing the extra year and not allowing him to sign a two-plus-one with someone is worth it," the executive said. "Is the few million less you might save really worth the extra year?"

So, not sayin it's anything more than what should be the #1 option on Schlenk's target list. Just as Horf was the #1 option on Ainge's shopping list. One just can't make presumptions about what is or isn't going to happen once the big money decisions have to be made.

Don't see tying up allowed cash flow making a big offer to someone we 99% won't get. That is not a flexible move and we know flexible is Travis Schlenk's middle name, or he wants it to be. Don't think an offer for Ingram will happen.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Don't see tying up allowed cash flow making an offer to someone we 99% won't get. That is not a flexible move and we know flexible is Travis Schlenk's middle name, or he wants it to be. Don't think that offer will happen.

They recently (last year? year before?) changed the rule so that the RFA's current team only has 2 days now to match... so that deal squelcher isn't the problem it was before.

And 99% is a really, really high number. Reeeeeeally high, in view of the report that "most executives" don't see Ingram as a max-type player, and add to that my own subjective observation that I'm not persuaded that Ingram is enthusiastic to play beside Zion.

I'll grant you maybe something in the 70% range, but it's the best hope of a pool of not-very-good hopes given how much less likely it is that we can gain a top tier free agent in 2021. If we agree that Schlenk does intend  to go after a top tier free agent in the next two off-seasons, Ingram represents the best opportunity to be successful.

• Like 1

[Too late to edit].  He’s 200-something days older than Jeff.  Just never really rocked with Jeff.  Augustine has a superior career efg and assist to turn and better intangibles IMO.  Better off the ball I would say as well.  Rebounding is poor even for 5’11 180.

Edited by benhillboy

Under used, young, talented vets has been his reply when asked who he is searching for.  Why stop the search now.  He has scouts out, looking, right now.  They know where the golden nuggets can be found.  It's just a matter of time until they become available.

This is not to say that he wouldn't take a great super star that was available and wanted to come to Atlanta and play with Trae.  We all know how slim the odds are that this is going to happen.

Hawks shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket.  Example:  They didn't trade for that $$$ high priced center who could play immediately.  Instead, they went for an injured player, already under contract that will be here later and stay for a long time.  A wise move, I believe.

Perhaps we draft someone.  Travis has been pretty good so far.  Or, perhaps we swap this pick for that young, underused vet and a future pick.  

Getting to see Skal and Capels play before seasons end could influence what we do.  

:smug:

• Like 2

I think we need to take a hard look at Malik Beasley. Let him take Bembry's role. Can defend 1 thru 3 and is a high level slasher and finisher.  Much better handle than Bembry and is a career 36% 3 point shooter. Can give you good mins at the 1 or the 2. GA native...

4 hours ago, sturt said:

my own subjective observation that I'm not persuaded that Ingram is enthusiastic to play beside Zion

Curious if you have a particular idea of why he would not want to be on the same team as Zion. It is not a Kyrie mentality thing is it? lol

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Curious if you have a particular idea of why he would not want to be on the same team as Zion. It is not a Kyrie mentality thing is it? lol

Behaviors/actions, of course, are an easier read than motives would be. And if I'm reading the behaviors/actions wrong, of course, then that dispenses with the entire proposition.

What emotional intelligence my eyes bring to the topic says that he's more accepting the situation than he is embracing the situation... ie, "the situation" being all the attention that Zion gets, and with him being implicitly considered the second or even third most important asset on the team. I don't see the warm, brotherly teammate relationship that is so self-evident between so many of our guys, starting with Trae and JC. That's not to suggest Ingram isn't being/talking generally positive, but I've taken note that when I've seen him get asked a question about Zion's impact, he mostly shifts the conversation to positives about the broader team, and doesn't spend much time hyping Zion as an individual. And during their recent ASG appearance, there was no buddy-buddy connection that I ever saw--based on Pels media on YouTube, seemed like the only time the two even crossed paths in Chicago was when they were on the court.

If accurate, why is he like this?

Well, it could be nothing more than that's just Ingram's nature with everyone, not just Zion. Then again, I've seen him interact with Lonzo, and that relationship definitely seems to be stronger. And then again, that might just be easily explained in that Zion was away from the team for so much of the season, so his relationship with any given team member is still developing. And, then again... again... you figure that Dukies, like fellow UK Wildcats already have some ground-floor connection even before one graduates to the NBA.

My guess is that Ingram does feel overshadowed by Zion and it's like "what do I have to do to get that much love?" So, it's probably nothing personal, but he's also not going to go to any lengths to add much more to Zion's hype than he has to. He has his pride, as every high-expectations young player does, and he might very well sense that he's generally going to have to achieve appreciably more than Zion just to even be considered Zion's equal.

I also figure he is fully cognizant that, particularly since NOP didn't extend him, he can't take anything for granted about where he'll be next year... and so he's being consistent but still yet measured in his enthusiasm about any success they're having.

That's probably more than you wanted to read... but it's a good question, and it forced me to think a little more extensively than I already had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

That's probably more than you wanted to read... but it's a good question, and it forced me to think a little more extensively than I already had.

Quite happy to read your deciphering of the Ingram situation. Thanks. Only comments I have seen showed Zion stating Ingram is definitely an All Star but the statement was before Zion actually hit the floor I think so that is dated stuff. Will admit I have no knowledge of their personal interaction whatsoever but do understand if Ingram moves over to us he will not be number one here either. Trae is the media focus here so what would be different with the change of address for him?

https://clutchpoints.com/pelicans-news-zion-williamson-thinks-brandon-ingram-is-a-definite-all-star/

• Like 2