• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

• Premium Member

Supes, while I consider that to be a do-able recipe, I also consider it to be too heavily reliant on us getting two max-ish 2021 free agents to come to ATL. Granted, the pool then is wider, but the competition is also wider. So, I view the recipe you propose to be a Plan C, if even that. (Again, I've talked myself out of Harrell... and I've never been a Bertrans convert at all.)

Plan A, to my mind and I'm sure anyone else's, is too wild a dream... ADavis and Ingram.

Plan B is, as I've outlined above, at least somewhat plausible. I'm seeing in Ingram a Joe Johnson-like floor and a Kevin Durant-like ceiling.

8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Supes, while I consider that to be a do-able recipe, I also consider it to be too heavily reliant on us getting two max-ish 2021 free agents to come to ATL. Granted, the pool then is wider, but the competition is also wider. So, I view the recipe you propose to be a Plan C, if even that. (Again, I've talked myself out of Harrell... and I've never been a Bertrans convert at all.)

Plan A, to my mind and I'm sure anyone else's, is too wild a dream... ADavis and Ingram.

Plan B is, as I've outlined above, at least somewhat plausible. I'm seeing in Ingram a Joe Johnson-like floor and a Kevin Durant-like ceiling.

I am going to be honest with you. Atlanta isn't a FA destination yet and while they want to be in the race for Giannis. They are far behind Miami, Dallas, and Toronto much less Milwaukee. It's best that Atlanta does what they are currently planning. 

Maximize the roster. Make sure people get contracts that don't kill the team like Indiana is doing. That means no overpaying Andrew Wiggins of the world, only max kats like Trae Young and legit two way monsters or legit future superstars. This isn't 2014-15 FA. While we had two max slots, no one cared. We got a future superstar in Young. We got a kid we feel can join him in Reddish. We got very good complimentary talents in John, De'Andre, and Kevin. We need to keep adding to the pot like Miami, Dallas, and the rest of the good teams are doing. Getting Capela and Dedmon was five steps in the right direction. 

We need to continue to add more. 

I see your point for AD and BI. The issue is neither player is available to us AT ALL. New Orleans and BI reps have every intention to sign a max level deal this offseason not to mention, he is a RFA and AD back to LA is a lock around the league. Honestly, we just aren't in that position yet where we are the IT franchise. 

Hell, I was one of the big ones on Bertrans but I even moved from that idea personally when I was told. He wants to stay, WAS is making room for him. They want to keep him at all cost. He's a part of their core and he wants to return even at a reasonable price. 

We been linked all trade deadline to Harrell and honestly, it took me awhile to come around, I hated the idea at first but I get it now. He really is a tremendous fit in our system which is heavy PnR based. Seeing Parker's offensive success, it lends credence that this will be a tremendous move. 

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am going to be honest with you. Atlanta isn't a FA destination yet and while they want to be in the race for Giannis. They are far behind Miami, Dallas, and Toronto much less Milwaukee. It's best that Atlanta does what they are currently planning. 

Maximize the roster. Make sure people get contracts that don't kill the team like Indiana is doing. That means no overpaying Andrew Wiggins of the world, only max kats like Trae Young and legit two way monsters or legit future superstars. This isn't 2014-15 FA. While we had two max slots, no one cared. We got a future superstar in Young. We got a kid we feel can join him in Reddish. We got very good complimentary talents in John, De'Andre, and Kevin. We need to keep adding to the pot like Miami, Dallas, and the rest of the good teams are doing. Getting Capela and Dedmon was five steps in the right direction. 

We need to continue to add more. 

I see your point for AD and BI. The issue is neither player is available to us AT ALL. New Orleans and BI reps have every intention to sign a max level deal this offseason not to mention, he is a RFA and AD back to LA is a lock around the league. Honestly, we just aren't in that position yet where we are the IT franchise. 

Hell, I was one of the big ones on Bertrans but I even moved from that idea personally when I was told. He wants to stay, WAS is making room for him. They want to keep him at all cost. He's a part of their core and he wants to return even at a reasonable price. 

We been linked all trade deadline to Harrell and honestly, it took me awhile to come around, I hated the idea at first but I get it now. He really is a tremendous fit in our system which is heavy PnR based. Seeing Parker's offensive success, it lends credence that this will be a tremendous move. 

Except that Harrell is NOT a fit for this offense because he can’t shoot from the perimeter.  His range ends outside 3 feet from the basket.  Parker can shoot it a little bit, but when Collins was out, this was one of the most constipated offenses in the NBA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

You don’t watch a lot of Clipper games I’m assuming.

He is a 44% shooter in the 3-10 foot range.  That’s not good.  He shoots 29% from 10-16 feet.  He shoots around 12% from 16 feet - the 3P line.  He’s exactly 0% this year from 3P.  

He’s 70% inside 3 feet.  That’s where his efficiency is.  The problem is, that’s also where Capela’s efficiency is.  You effectively constipate the offense by having both of them on the floor at the same time.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

He is a 44% shooter in the 3-10 foot range.  That’s not good.  He shoots 29% from 10-16 feet.  He shoots around 12% from 16 feet - the 3P line.  He’s exactly 0% this year from 3P.  

He’s 70% inside 3 feet.  That’s where his efficiency is.  The problem is, that’s also where Capela’s efficiency is.  You effectively constipate the offense by having both of them on the floor at the same time.

So you are again assuming that he’s gonna give the Hawks exactly what he’s giving the Clippers without any addition to his game even though he has added a little something each year and worked hard at doing so.

Harrell is a basketball player that impacts hard play and winning. He’s a throwback type of player that invites contact and physicality. I want him on the Hawks. He’s been my number one free agent for this summer. 

The perfect bodyguard for Trae.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So you are again assuming that he’s gonna give the Hawks exactly what he’s giving the Clippers without any addition to his game even though he has added a little something each year and worked hard at doing so.

Harrell is a basketball player that impacts hard play and winning. He’s a throwback type of player that invites contact and physicality. I want him on the Hawks. He’s been my number one free agent for this summer. 

I’d be fine with signing him, but if you do it, you have to fire Lloyd Pierce, hire a Bud disciple, and trade John Collins for wing help.

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Also, the Hawks do not have the coaching staff that can get more out of Harrell than what he is currently giving.

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Also, the Hawks do not have the coaching staff that can get more out of Harrell than what he is currently giving.

Actually wouldn’t Lloyd be able to help Harrell shore up his D? 🤔 He’s already a Pitbull dog 🐕 in the paint. He shores up that interior defense and he becomes even more valuable to a team.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Actually wouldn’t Lloyd be able to help Harrell shore up his D? 🤔 He’s already a Pitbull dog 🐕 in the paint. He shores up that interior defense and he becomes even more valuable to a team.

In Lloyd’s crap defensive scheme, I doubt Harrell becomes an even better defender than he currently is.

I think there's more to Harrell's game than what meets the eye, but I'm not really seeing why there'd still be interest after trading for Capela. If you look at some cut up video of him playing, he is more than a PNR guy (actually has some low and high post moves) but based off the history of his free throw stroke and any jumper history if you look through, I wouldn't say he's a young Paul Millsap at all in that he just needs to expand his range. There's no history of a reliable jumper for him...outside the Drew League I suppose "shrug".

I'd ironically say that you'd be better off bringing back Paul Millsap. Paul Millsap, Jae Crowder (or pick your poison of these defensive wings in Jerami Grant/Torrey Craig/etc), and then lets see what's done around draft night before you see what the next moves are (either vet PG or another wing).

But if you were to go Harrell, I can see the desire here. 25 minute hustle player off the bench that plays with an edge. Unlike a guy like Parker, for example from 19/20.

Edited by Lurker
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think there's more to Harrell's game than what meets the eye, but I'm not really seeing why there'd still be interest after trading for Capela. If you look at some cut up video of him playing, he is more than a PNR guy (actually has some low and high post moves) but based off the history of his free throw stroke and any jumper history if you look through, I wouldn't say he's a young Paul Millsap at all in that he just needs to expand his range. There's no history of a reliable jumper for him...outside the Drew League I suppose "shrug".

I'd ironically say that you'd be better off bringing back Paul Millsap. Paul Millsap, Jae Crowder (or pick your poison of these defensive wings in Jerami Grant/Torrey Craig/etc), and then lets see what's done around draft night before you see what the next moves are (either vet PG or another wing).

But if you were to go Harrell, I can see the desire here. 25 minute hustle player off the bench that plays with an edge. Unlike a guy like Parker, for example from 19/20.

Along with Grant, I’d take a long look at Maurice Harkless as well.  

Harrell will probably command a multi year deal at around $20M. We're paying Capela and will have to extend Collins soon. Like others have said, I'd rather give someone like Millsap and/or Crowder an inflated one year deal and keep our cap space for '21.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I’d be fine with signing him, but if you do it, you have to fire Lloyd Pierce, hire a Bud disciple, and trade John Collins for wing help.

You can't just trade for a wing that's not available. We would have the best frontcourt in the NBA with Collins, Harrell, Capela, and Dedmon.

27 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Harrell will probably command a multi year deal at around $20M. We're paying Capela and will have to extend Collins soon. Like others have said, I'd rather give someone like Millsap and/or Crowder an inflated one year deal and keep our cap space for '21.

Harrell at 20 plus million for 3 years is a tremendous deal for us. We can still add a Crowder type this offseason as well if he wants to come to our situation 

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Not to mention, Harrell is the best switch defender at the 4 in the NBA right now. Just like Capela is one at the 5.

• Like 1