• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020 - 2nd half Hawks: Chase for the 8th seed

NBASupes

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A major move is trading our 1st round pick for Jakob Poeltl. Or trading our young guys for vets. Got it!

:huh:

A major move is trading to get a player who will make a major difference in the win total on this team.  Capela and Dedmon are nice players, but they are not guys who are going to move the needle.  They aren’t the difference in winning 23 games this season and winning 37 games.

If they had gone out and made a deal for Karl Anthony Towns, that would have been a major move, because he is a guy who could add 8-10 wins to this team.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

A major move is trading to get a player who will make a major difference in the win total on this team.  Capela and Dedmon are nice players, but they are not guys who are going to move the needle.  They aren’t the difference in winning 23 games this season and winning 37 games.

If they had gone out and made a deal for Karl Anthony Towns, that would have been a major move, because he is a guy who could add 8-10 wins to this team.

I only have one question - was he AVAILABLE?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I only have one question - was he AVAILABLE?

He will be at some point.  He’s not going to just collect a check to play for that organization.  He’s wants to win, and he’s not going to do that with the Timberwolves.  They have spent too much time in the lottery, which should be a cautionary tale to those of you who have supported the way Travis Schenk has gone about his business.

22 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Might be easier to just list the guys you'd consider major because I'm guessing there's only 5 in the league.  

Uh....unless we trade for one and then....

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He will be at some point.  He’s not going to just collect a check to play for that organization.  He’s wants to win, and he’s not going to do that with the Timberwolves.  They have spent too much time in the lottery, which should be a cautionary tale to those of you who have supported the way Travis Schenk has gone about his business.

So we should wait and do nothing until he asked to be traded?   How long will that be?

You should do as @macdaddy suggested and provide your list of major move players that you think would be available at the draft to trade the pick for.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hey, this is good news people.  KB and I have the bet and one of us will be eating it after next year.  He hasn't lost a single bet yet so while he has been wrong about some predictions this isn't one of those predictions without consequences.  One of us will have to own up to being wrong in a very public way.  :drinks:

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The only thing that will absolve him is the Hawks becoming a championship contender by year 5.  Not just a playoff team.  A championship contender. 

Just when I'd lost interest in reading any further KB posts, this caught my eye. I think we finally have struck some common ground (!)... I believe a 5 year horizon is about right.

I'll grant a teeensy-weensy bit of extra latitude to the Colonel in saying "a budding championship contender" in year 5... that is, we're that up and comer that some so-called experts think is ready to contend, though conventional wisdom is that they need another year of playoff experience before being widely regarded as a legit championship contender.

And I believe that's do-able between this year's FA cohort and the next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Just when I'd lost interest in reading any further KB posts, this caught my eye. I think we finally have struck some common ground (!)... I believe a 5 year horizon is about right.

I'll grant a teeensy-weensy bit of extra latitude to the Colonel in saying "a budding championship contender" in year 5... that is, we're that up and comer that some so-called experts think is ready to contend, though conventional wisdom is that they need another year of playoff experience before being widely regarded as a legit championship contender.

And I believe that's do-able between this year's FA cohort and the next.

Nope.  Being labeled as a budding championship contender is too generic and too subjective of a term.  That label got put on the 76ers, and they are not a championship contending team, currently nor budding.  

No.  The only way Travis’s method of going about this is a success is if this team is actually playing in the Eastern Conference Finals in year 5 of this ordeal.  We are in year three right now with a 14-38 record.

• Premium Member

It's a testimony to how hard it is to become a legit contender. So many ways to screw up, so many other teams competing for the same holy grail, and you and everyone else needing a little luck on your side.

So, I don't really care how KB thinks about this, except just to note that our ways of thinking about this are, in this way, at least not so far apart...

Put another way, KB's not as wrong as I previously thought him to be.

Good for him.

To put my own thinking into some more exact terms, I would like to think we are a playoff team next season, and an Eastern Conference finals participant the following year. Mind you, if we'd continued in our hamster wheel ways over these last three years, I don't think we would have greater reason for optimism than we actually have right now.

By the same token, we are at another critical juncture now, and that optimism may all be for nothing if the right moves don't occur... and.... something we haven't talked much about, but I bet we increasingly will... if the head coach fails to assert himself as a championship-caliber coach, and not merely a developmental one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, KB21 said:

Nope.  Being labeled as a budding championship contender is too generic and too subjective of a term.  That label got put on the 76ers, and they are not a championship contending team, currently nor budding.  

No.  The only way Travis’s method of going about this is a success is if this team is actually playing in the Eastern Conference Finals in year 5 of this ordeal.  We are in year three right now with a 14-38 record.

I don't get how you embrace a dying veteran team that didn't have a prayer or path to becoming a contender (2016-17 Budcox Hawks) but suddenly need someone to be a championship contender to quality as a success.

Half the time being in the playoffs is enough to be a praise worthy team for you and then the other half of the time you need to actually be a true championship contender. 

The Atlanta Hawks have never won a single game in the ECF no matter what method of team building they have applied.    We've had hopes once or twice that we might be true contenders but the "fiery crucible" of the playoffs has always revealed us to be pretenders whether that was Danny Ferry, Bud, Stan Kasten, Billy Knight, Pete Babcock, etc. running the show.  Again, the next time Atlanta wins a game beyond the second round of the playoffs will be the first time in Atlanta history.

Using that as the pass/fail metric means that Bud failed.  I personally don't think he did and won't proclaim TS a failure if we can't win.

This is just an artificial goal so you can claim victory.  By your own method the Golden State Warriors and their 3 championships and 5 appearances in the NBA finals are a failure because they didn't make the conference finals within 5 years.  Just silly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't get how you embrace a dying veteran team that didn't have a prayer or path to becoming a contender (2016-17 Budcox Hawks) but suddenly need someone to be a championship contender to quality as a success.

Half the time being in the playoffs is enough to be a praise worthy team for you and then the other half of the time you need to actually be a true championship contender. 

The Atlanta Hawks have never won a single game in the ECF no matter what method of team building they have applied.    We've had hopes once or twice that we might be true contenders but the "fiery crucible" of the playoffs has always revealed us to be pretenders whether that was Danny Ferry, Bud, Stan Kasten, Billy Knight, Pete Babcock, etc. running the show.  Again, the next time Atlanta wins a game beyond the second round of the playoffs will be the first time in Atlanta history.

Using that as the pass/fail metric means that Bud failed.  I personally don't think he did and won't proclaim TS a failure if we can't win.

This is just an artificial goal so you can claim victory.  By your own method the Golden State Warriors and their 3 championships and 5 appearances in the NBA finals are a failure because they didn't make the conference finals within 5 years.  Just silly.

The Warriors also didn’t bottom their team out and tank.  

• Moderators
14 hours ago, KB21 said:

The Warriors also didn’t bottom their team out and tank.  

They absolutely tanked during that rebuild and have openly admitted it.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1160424-golden-state-warriors-why-the-warriors-tanking-is-hurting-the-nba

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-gm-says-the-warriors-tanked-the-season-before-drafting-harrison-barnes/

• Like 1

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, KB21 said:

How many top 5 picks did they get in that rebuild.

They were in the lottery 17 out of 18 years.  Won 23, 26 and 29 games over the last 4 seasons.  We won 24 and 29 games the last two years.  I guess winning 23, 26 and 29 games is "competing" but winning 24 and 29 games isn't.  Because reasons.