• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA lost revenue

Vol4ever

14 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Washington Post estimates the NBA may end up missing out on a total of $1 billion (or more) in revenue in 2019/20 due to the league’s coronavirus-related hiatus and its China controversy.

Owners will likely have to eat most of the loss. If player salaries are adjusted drastically they will probably strike. Just cant see players taking less money no matter what the situation is.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Owners will likely have to eat most of the loss. If player salaries are adjusted drastically they will probably strike. Just cant see players taking less money no matter what the situation is.

They get a percentage of the BRI (Basketball Related Income). So if there's less income, they'll get less.

One thing to watch if the season does not resume is what the Cap will be set at for the 2020/21 season. It's currently projected at $115 million. It dropped by $1 million after the China/Morey deal.

So FA players may get less that anticipated this offseason if the cap drops significantly.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They get a percentage of the BRI (Basketball Related Income). So if there's less income, they'll get less.

One thing to watch if the season does not resume is what the Cap will be set at for the 2020/21 season. It's currently projected at $115 million. It dropped by $1 million after the China/Morey deal.

So FA players may get less that anticipated this offseason if the cap drops significantly.

It is the only thing that makes me worry about the bad things Sturt will do to my avatar!

• Haha 1

I think the NBA ( and all sports leagues right now ) are in denial.  We're nowhere near the peak of this, because there are still too many people moving around, and the leaders in this country doesn't understand the true gravity of all of this yet.  We could easily be in a legit horror movie come Memorial Day.

They need to stop talking about when the season can start up, and just look out for the people involved with the teams, and the people affiliated with the NBA who can and will become sick in the near future.  Because when this thing starts back up, people aren't just going to flock back to the arenas to be sitting right beside each other, if this virus is still out in the public.

So say the death rate of this thing is 1.5% . . and 10% will come down with this ( low estimate ).   Heck, let's dial it down to 0.4% will die ( because most of the crowd will be healthy )

You have 16,000 people at Philips ( err, State Farm ) Arena.

Are you as a fan willing to take the chance that you'll be one of the 1,600 that could catch the virus, or one of the 64 people who will DIE?

Imagine Ryan Cameron on the mic:

"Hawks fans . . . welcome to State Farm Arena.  Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, 64 of you will contract the virus and die within the next 2 weeks.  We thank you for your loyalty to the Hawks and appreciate you beyond belief.  

As for the rest of you . . . HAWKS FANS . . . LET'S MAKE SOME NOOOOOOOOIIIIIISSSSSEEEEEE!"

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, AHF said:

This will feed into the formulas for the cap.  Unless they mutually agree, it could significantly impact how much money is available to give the players.  And that won't be an issue for which they can strike.

If no income is available to meet the payroll, cuts must be made.  If the players strike and refuse to play for a lesser amount they will kill the NBA as we knew it in the past.  

If you are forced to pay out two or three times your income for a long period of time, all your assets will melt away and you will be without.  Same way with the NBA.  

:hi:

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think the NBA ( and all sports leagues right now ) are in denial.  We're nowhere near the peak of this, because there are still too many people moving around, and the leaders in this country doesn't understand the true gravity of all of this yet.  We could easily be in a legit horror movie come Memorial Day.

They need to stop talking about when the season can start up, and just look out for the people involved with the teams, and the people affiliated with the NBA who can and will become sick in the near future.  Because when this thing starts back up, people aren't just going to flock back to the arenas to be sitting right beside each other, if this virus is still out in the public.

So say the death rate of this thing is 1.5% . . and 10% will come down with this ( low estimate ).   Heck, let's dial it down to 0.4% will die ( because most of the crowd will be healthy )

Are you as a fan willing to take the chance that you'll be one of the 1,600 that could catch the virus, or one of the 64 people who will DIE?

"Hawks fans . . . welcome to State Farm Arena.  Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, 64 of you will contract the virus and die within the next 2 weeks.  We thank you for your loyalty to the Hawks and appreciate you beyond belief.  

As for the rest of you . . . HAWKS FANS . . . LET'S MAKE SOME NOOOOOOOOIIIIIISSSSSEEEEEE!"

Until there is wide spread testing and at least a stable treatment plan in place that can aid in recovery (until a vaccine is ready), there won't be mass gatherings. 

If they do manage to play it will be without fans.

Japan and South Korea, have tried to restart only to abandon that effort with a few players popping a fever.

China was attempting to restart their season April 15th, pushed back until May. They saw the failed attempts by Japan and SK. (Didn't get Gov't approval)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Until there is wide spread testing and at least a stable treatment plan in place that can aid in recovery (until a vaccine is ready), there won't be mass gatherings. 

If they do manage to play it will be without fans.

Japan and South Korea, have tried to restart only to abandon that effort with a few players popping a fever.

China was attempting to restart their season April 15th, pushed back until May. They saw the failed attempts by Japan and SK. (Didn't get Gov't approval)

And we're also talking about the players getting back in game shape.   That honestly could take 4 - 6 weeks.

No sports league in this country should talk about playing games until the number of cases and deaths start to fall dramatically.

If they're willing to play games with no fans, but basically text  test everyone every 3 - 5 days, that could be an option.  If they do that, they'll more than likely charge us to see the games on a pay per view basis.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

• Moderators

If they could get instant tests available then they could resume games without fans and just test everyone prior.  TV revenue would be huge.  

But i agree.  This season is toast.   Sucks for a lot of reasons but it's just sports.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

If they could get instant tests available then they could resume games without fans and just test everyone prior.  TV revenue would be huge.  

But i agree.  This season is toast.   Sucks for a lot of reasons but it's just sports.  

That's the best idea. Test everyone and play with no fans. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

If no income is available to meet the payroll, cuts must be made.  If the players strike and refuse to play for a lesser amount they will kill the NBA as we knew it in the past.  

If you are forced to pay out two or three times your income for a long period of time, all your assets will melt away and you will be without.  Same way with the NBA.  

:hi:

They can't cut player salaries for players under contract and if they can't meet payroll then the teams will have to file for bankruptcy and risk losing their teams.  Given that most ownership groups are effectively billionaires, I don't think they will refuse to pay people.

Where it will have an impact is on how much money is available for players no longer under contract after this season.  It could dramatically shrink or eliminate the money teams have for free agents which would naturally lead to overall lower salaries for players on their next contract.  Think of that as being like the reverse of the year where Baze and ET got their big contracts.  Instead of the cap rising to unexpected heights, it would shrink to unexpected lows.

If that happens, it would be an unfair labor practice and breach of the CBA for the players to strike to try to get the owners to make more money available for these free agents.  While the CBA is in effect, the players have very little ability to strike.  You could see some Josh Childress type action where players who would be forced to take reduced salaries on their next contract but go overseas for bigger $$s but traveling abroad will likely not appeal to a lot of players in this environment as well.

I think the players will have to accept that there is just less money to go around.  I also think in practice this will affect differently players very differently and probably most dramatically hit the middle class of guys who would normally be good enough to get say $11M per season.  The guys at the bottom and top of the food chain will likely be much less affected.

• Like 1

The Pro sports world has been the biggest arena where contracts don't have to be honored and the individual gets away with it in most cases. So now we are on the other side of that coin so will be interesting to witness what happens if it does come down to that stuff. Don't see how it doesn't come down to that stuff right now myself. The news just keeps getting worse in the States.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I would take a bet on this^^^^^.     The media has blown this completely out of proportion.  

• Premium Member

Talked with a CEO friend of mine and they are dropping their corporate tickets.  They have paid big money and I have used them on several occasions when I'm in town on business.  Dang but I understand.  Customers do not want to see a loser and could care less about rebuilds etc.