• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And so....it begins! NBA Season Restarts! July 30th - October 12th.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Wouldn't be smart where I live, probably, but it's a big country. Until proven otherwise, I'm one of those inclined to trust that the people in-charge are making reasonable decisions in any given location.

Thank you NBA. They are preparing behind the scenes. I have been bullish from the start about the likelihood of a resumed season. It always darkest before the dawn. Cali and New York will be the last hold outs on shelter in place orders, those players might have to temporarily relocate if other players begin practicing. Of course the how and when is still up in the air, but clearly they would not be opening facilities unless there was reason to believe the season will resume.

• Premium Member

But they also remain in a period of mourning, for Karl-Anthony Towns’ mother, Jacqueline, and for a relative in Malik Beasley’s family, both of whom have been lost to complications from coronavirus. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Thank you NBA. They are preparing behind the scenes. I have been bullish from the start about the likelihood of a resumed season. It always darkest before the dawn. Cali and New York will be the last hold outs on shelter in place orders, those players might have to temporarily relocate if other players begin practicing. Of course the how and when is still up in the air, but clearly they would not be opening facilities unless there was reason to believe the season will resume.

California and New York teams will all likely have to relocate to different facilities if the NBA is going to be able to get ready to complete the regular season anytime soon (and by anytime soon, restarting the regular season in the next 6 weeks or so). Seems silly given that California's early dramatic measures have helped I think relatively, but from the way it sounded, Cali doesn't even want to do sports without fans and at least as of now they want to ban it until 2021.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

California and New York teams will all likely have to relocate to different facilities if the NBA is going to be able to get ready to complete the regular season anytime soon (and by anytime soon, restarting the regular season in the next 6 weeks or so). Seems silly given that California's early dramatic measures have helped I think relatively, but from the way it sounded, Cali doesn't even want to do sports without fans and at least as of now they want to ban it until 2021.

Can you post a link on the bolded, particularly about the ban? I don't remember reading that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can you post a link on the bolded, particularly about the ban? I don't remember reading that.

I would not be able to produce a link off the top of my head. Sorry.

I just remember seeing how one of the major leaders in California said that they are "probably not going to allow sports or concerts until 2021 in our state". It might have been sports with fans though.

There might be some weight to that instead of just probably and threatening as a possibility because of what I'm reading from college football people too. From the way it sounds, some college conferences might not want to return to sports in the fall. Honestly, although I know that's not great, my mind immediately hopped to Pac 12 and what might go on in California with their 3 schools.

Edit: Okay it might have just been the Los Angeles mayor, but even still that includes multiple major sports...

https://www.kron4.com/news/california/los-angeles-mayor-says-no-concerts-or-sporting-events-until-2021/

Edited by Lurker
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Heat.

As of Saturday evening, it was unclear whether the Miami Heat would be one of the teams allowed to open its practice facilities to players on Friday based on orders implemented by the local government. Parks and gyms remain closed across Miami-Dade and the city of Miami, but the tentative plan is to ease closure orders in the coming days for parks, marinas and golf courses across the county. This would allow for basketball at parks with no more than three players per half court, only for shooting and no pick-up games, and each player must have their own ball.
 via Miami Herald

Cavs:

19 News received a text from a Cavs spokesperson in response to this report: "No statement or comment to make for now because this is all still TBD.”

The AP said workouts that would take place would be voluntary only, and limited to individual sessions only. They also report group practices would not be allowed yet, and teams are not permitted to organize in-person workouts yet.

• Premium Member

New York

While New York waits for the return of normalcy amidst the coronavirus pandemic, Governor Andrew Cuomo provided an intriguing update on the future of sports in the Big Apple and Buffalo. During his Sunday press conference, the New York State Governor mused aloud about the sports coming back to the city earlier than anticipated. “If players could get paid more than staying home, and owners could get some revenue versus total shutdown… why not?” Cuomo asked. “I’d love to watch.”

–via AM New York

Cuomo, however, has been in touch with sports owners to discuss how athletics can return to New York, which would most likely bar fans from attending initially. No concrete ideas have come, as of yet. “I don’t know. If you can make the economics work without ticket sales and have television revenue,” Cuomo wondered. “We’re in a different place. Be creative figure it out.”

– via AM New York

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I am of this mindset, restaurants have been running delivery and take out for weeks now in Ohio. That is a very limited work force. I don't think having 12 players, 4 coaches, and a trainer is much more of a risk. Especially now that things have settled.

I don't like the idea of a full stadium of people or a six story building like where I work at becoming full again anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I am of this mindset, restaurants have been running delivery and take out for weeks now in Ohio. That is a very limited work force. I don't think having 12 players, 4 coaches, and a trainer is much more of a risk. Especially now that things have settled.

I don't like the idea of a full stadium of people or a six story building like where I work at becoming full again anytime soon.

No team workouts yet, individual workouts only -  just players using the practice facility as their 'gym' since those in GA are open.  My guess is there will be a schedule put it place so all players aren't in at once.

The Hawks can also allow players from other teams that are currently in GA to train as well.

Example: in NYK only Taj Gibson and Frank N are still in the New York area, the others are at their home bases.

Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Oklahoma City are among the teams not expected to be under lock-down orders on Friday.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/26/nba-wont-leave-knicks-nets-out-in-possible-step-toward-return/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not buying into the fairness issue. The players are millionaires, the owners are billionaires. To me its no different than spring training for baseball. They can afford it but its their choice to practice or not. If they do not want to practice in a different state/city its their decision. In a way its even safer, because they would not necessarily be going home to their families after practicing.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1