• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And so....it begins! NBA Season Restarts! July 30th - October 12th.

JayBirdHawk

Here's what I want to see.

Spend all of June training and getting back in shape.

Play 4 games to end the season. All playoff spots are virtually set, unless Memphis somehow drops 4 straight, and Portland runs the table.  These games simply gets everybody back into playing at the speed of the game.

Before the playoffs, do something that I've been talking about for years, and run a NBA Draft Lottery Tournament.  Winner of the tournament gets the #1 pick . . and the #1 pick is the ONLY thing at stake in this tournament.

Weigh the bracket so that the teams at the bottom half of the "lottery" are not playing the teams at the top half of the lottery until the Finals.

These would be the teams left out of the playoffs:

First round

#1 SEED - POR vs NO

#2 SEED - SAC vs SA

#3 SEED - PHO vs WAS

#4 SEED - CHO vs CHI

#5 SEED - NYK vs DET

#6 SEED - ATL vs MIN

#7 SEED - CLE ( BYE )

#8 SEED - GSW ( BYE )

2nd Round

Game 9 - #1 seed winner vs #2 seed winner

Game 10 - #3 seed winner vs #4 seed winner

Game 11 - #5 seed winner vs #6 seed winner

Game 12 - #7 seed - CLE vs #8 seed - GSW

Semifinals

1st semi - Game 9 winner vs Game 10 winner

2nd semi - Game 11 winner vs Game 12 winner

Finals

1st semi winner vs 2nd semi winner

Winner gets the 1st pick.  Everyone else falls in line by record . . . or . . . if you want the extra TV drama, you still go through the ping pong lottery drawing for the 2nd - 14th picks.

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Uuummm????

I think the question is going to be the testing.  Will they be tested every day, or before every game, to make sure that someone asymptomatic doesn't have the virus?  If you have frequent testing, they may be able to pull this off.

But if someone gets COVID in the middle of the playoffs, but is otherwise healthy, that's going to be an element that could drastically change a series.  What if Lebron James caught it from someone not on the team, but just working around these guys?  Everyone has to go to the bathroom.  And the bathrooms have to be cleaned.  What if the person cleaning the bathrooms unwittingly gave a player COVID?

They may think that they can handle this.  But they have to go through ALL scenarios.  Kind of like what we have to do in manufacturing with our FMEA ( Failure Modes and Effects Analysis ).  

If they're not mapping out all scenarios and what to do, they're already behind.

With all of the money at stake, I have a feeling that they're going to tell the players, coaches, etc . . that catching COVID is part of the risk of the job, which is exactly the stance the government has taken on this. Until the healthy and the young start dying from this at a higher rate, the healthy will be expected to function through all of this.  And if you only get mild symptoms, fight through it, no matter who else you may personally infect.

Andrew Yang was just on CNN . . . . remember him?  Mr "let's give everyone $1,000 a month, no questions asked"?

He predicts that 42% of the jobs that have been lost so far, will not be coming back.  The service industry is what is going to be hit the hardest.  Eventually, everything will be computer self checkout, just like the express lanes, with grocery employees being reduced to stocking and pickup delivery positions.

Just about every job that can be automated, companies will look to do so.  This is is what Yang has been saying all along.  COVID has forced everyone's hand into thinking different.  If people lose jobs that won't be coming back, how will they get money?

In the NBA, you could see . . .

• Frontline order takers at food courts
  • Arena Ushers
  • Halftime entertainers
  • Multiple cameramen
  • Team/Beat reporters
  • Dance teams

. . . all gone if we're forced to live with this virus.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think the question is going to be the testing.  Will they be tested every day, or before every game, to make sure that someone asymptomatic doesn't have the virus?  If you have frequent testing, they may be able to pull this off.

Lack of available testing to the general populous still and issue, so the NBA is navigating those waters.

But there is another hurdle for the league to clear, and it’s one that became quite clear when some players were tested in the immediate aftermath of the suspension of play on March 11. According to sources, just three teams were tested for the coronavirus by public entities — the Utah Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder, because they were the teams on the floor as Rudy Gobert’s positive test was returned, and the Toronto Raptors, because … Canada and its universal health care system (Toronto had played at Utah on March 9).

Tests for other teams were conducted through arrangements made by those clubs in the several weeks leading up to the shutdown. Well before March 11, the NBA had received word of the potential danger from its operations in China and had advised teams to prepare with local lab facilities.

But the league still received backlash from the appearance it was getting preferential treatment — even though it wasn’t and had simply been better at heeding the warning.

“No one expected that we’d have a treatment (for COVID-19) or vaccine by now, but it’s frustrating that there still isn’t a comprehensive testing plan for the country,” said one Western exec. “Selfishly, we could know a lot more about where we stand by now, and it would have allowed Adam (Silver, the commissioner) and the players to work on more solid plans. We could even be back sooner than it’s looking right now.

But this is for more than just us. If companies are going to be able to create safe environments for their people, they’re going to have to be able to know who’s negative. And the only way they can do that is through testing.”

Said another team source with regard to a plan for widespread testing of the public, “I think we’re all waiting on that. There’s a lot more that goes into it, but for right now, it has to start there.”

No doubt the NBA office understands that, but word is it is eager to take advantage of this extra time to consult virologists and other medical experts on the best procedures now and should issues arise after the games continue. To that end, the league is also participating in antibody tests.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/05/20/nba-return-process-affected-by-lack-of-widespread-testing/

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

Shut it completely down til next year.  

52 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That'll never happen.  Too much money to be lost.

Exactly. They are already loosing gate and arena revenue. They can't take a hit from the TV money as well which is tied to 70 games.

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If lottery teams have to come back and play 3 games how hard will they really be going?  It'll be a scrimmage basically.   

I like the tourny idea Northcyde but i don't see the nba ever going for it.   

It's about that RSN money. 

• Premium Member

If we are gonna be scared to death from all of this I still say shut it down.  Why play 3 games.  

Please take hoax theories to the politics board.  - AHF

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Exactly. They are already loosing gate and arena revenue. They can't take a hit from the TV money as well which is tied to 70 games.

This whole thing is changing everything we will do in life.  Sports will take a hit no doubt.   The people hurt the most will be the vendors that rely on those soda, popcorn, and sandwich sales.  The games will sound like a hollow gym of pickup basketball. Just my take.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I understand that.  It's just going to be sorry basketball.  of course i'll watch.

This.  I expect several things:

*  Competitive integrity will be gone from this season because wherever teams were when they ended the season, they will be different restarting.  Some will be very significantly different.  It won't approximate how things would have gone if the season had continued uninterrupted.

*  Non-playoff teams will likely tank shamelessly.  3-4 games that are just about checking the box but can affect your lottery position?  Only one things to play for with those teams.  Ping-pong balls.

• Like 1