• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And so....it begins! NBA Season Restarts! July 30th - October 12th.

JayBirdHawk

42 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I like the idea of a play in for all 30 teams but that would not qualify as meeting the 70 regular season games. Right now that puts us playing at Toronto for a one game winner take all to get into the playoffs.

I don't think playoff teams should have to play in. That would render the entire season so far basically meaningless. I think a tournament for non playoff teams would be fun, like NCAA vs NIT.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't think playoff teams should have to play in. That would render the entire season so far basically meaningless. I think a tournament for non playoff teams would be fun, like NCAA vs NIT.

That's pretty much the thing. What you just said. 

Lock the lottery right now. The odds right now is the odds. 

I would like something like the bottom 10 play four games a piece with two groups. 

The 1st and 2nd place teams on each group plays the top 4 lotto teams. 

Like, 

PHX v. SAC

ATL v. SA

NO v. CHI

POR v. GS

The winners go to the World Cup style group tourney and go from there. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I like the idea of a play in for all 30 teams but that would not qualify as meeting the 70 regular season games. Right now that puts us playing at Toronto for a one game winner take all to get into the playoffs.

No Play-in....we won 20 games, Toronto doubled our win total +6....if we beat them and go to the playoffs, do they get our lottery slot?

I like @bleachkit idea..tournament style for non lotto teams to get the required number of regular season games but have no bearing on draft position.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No Play-in....we won 20 games, Toronto doubled our win total +6....if we beat them and go to the playoffs, do they get our lottery slot?

I like @bleachkit idea..tournament style for non lotto teams to get the required number of regular season games but have no bearing on draft position.

Definite risk that a tourney would not satisfy the "regular season" condition to get the TV money.

• Premium Member

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has suggested a plan to the NBA league office that would include all 30 NBA teams playing five to seven regular-season games before a play-in tournament to determine the final two playoff seeds, he told ESPN on Tuesday.

Cuban considers it a must for all 30 teams to participate in the resumption of the NBA season, tentatively planned to take place at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, because of the financial impact of fulfilling local television contracts.

In Cuban's proposal, the top 10 teams from each conference would qualify for the postseason and be reseeded based on record. There would be two play-in matchups -- either single games or a best-of-three series -- pitting seeds 17 vs. 20 and 18 vs. 19. The winners would advance to play the 15th and 16th seeds for the final spots in the playoff bracket.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29224715/mark-cuban-suggests-play-tournament-final-2-seeds-nba-playoffs

• Confused 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok I like everyone participating but Cuban is reaching here wtf 😂 

Cuban : GET LUKA IN AT ALL COST!!!!

The Mavs are locked in both today and under his proposal.  I see it as more of a long-term play to get the league to moving to seed the playoffs based purely on record instead of conference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Mavs are locked in both today and under his proposal.  I see it as more of a long-term play to get the league to moving to seed the playoffs based purely on record instead of conference.

Thanks. I just had a brain 🧠 burp. Forgot the Mavs were already in the playoff picture. 

Still, call me a traditionalist but can we just stick to 1-8 East and west like it has been? I hate combining conferences like I hate kids on my lawn. Man, I’m really getting old here... 😆 

• Haha 3

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I"d love to watch some Hawks games but in reality the only sensible thing to do is start the playoffs.  Yeah not everyone will be happy but this season is going to be messed up no matter what.  I understand there is rsn money involved here but the nba should be able to negotiate something to recoup some of this.   There should be something they can offer like broadcast of playoff games or something.

If it were not for the rsn money i don't think there would be any consideration of having regular season games.  I know it's all about money but given the challenges of getting back to play at all it doesn't seem worth it.  The more games, the longer amount of time the season takes the greater the likelihood of having to shut it down. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If it were not for the rsn money i don't think there would be any consideration of having regular season games. 

This.  My guess is they will find a way to play the games needed to get the RSN money but we'll see where things land.

15 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I commend Schlenk for pubicly lobbying to return. It's sets the right tone for the organization. Can't believe we probably wont see any Hawks basketball, it's not fair. A 10 month layover is not good for this team.

It is. Truth is, some of these bad teams want to move forward.

• Premium Member

I'm thinking they need to just do the direct to playoffs or bring in all 30 teams.....all the play in stuff, re-seeding just becomes gimmicky. 

Like I said before if a team currently in the lottery wins their playin, how does their lottery position get affected vs the team they knocked out.

It's an already stressful time - Keep it simple.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm thinking they need to just do the direct to playoffs or bring in all 30 teams.....all the play in stuff, re-seeding just becomes gimmicky. 

Like I said before if a team currently in the lottery wins their playin, how does their lottery position get affected vs the team they knocked out.

It's an already stressful time - Keep it simple.

This! Can’t pick n choose. Either playoff teams or all not 10 or 12 teams what’s that? 

Ya they are complicating it with the lottery thing. 

Just get to the playoffs. I wanna watch Hawks ball but I also wanna get to the draft and free agency. We have a top pick and money 💰. Let’s go!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

How is a 10 month layover beneficial? It's not. That's too long. You don't get better at playing basketball together by not playing basketball together.

As much as I want to see Hawks basketball ....would 3 games really matter in the grand scheme of 10 month layoff if they are only playing to 70 games? Ramp up quickly to play 3 games, play - get injured.

• Like 1