• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And so....it begins! NBA Season Restarts! July 30th - October 12th.

JayBirdHawk

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

As much as I want to see Hawks basketball ....would 3 games really matter in the grand scheme of 10 month layoff if they are only playing to 70 games? Ramp up quickly to play 3 games, play - get injured.

It's not just the handful of games per se, it's the practices, a chance for the team to be together and seeing where guys are at. Schlenk is publicly lobbying for it, and it's not just because of money.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I agree we can't be off March-November.  That would suck but somethings got to give.  I think the only good choices are:

1. complete regular season - shorten the playoffs with 5 game series first two rounds.  start next season christmas

2. start playoffs now - shorten to 5 games first two rounds. start next season early november.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree we can't be off March-November.  That would suck but somethings got to give.  I think the only good choices are:

1. complete regular season - shorten the playoffs with 5 game series first two rounds.  start next season christmas

2. start playoffs now - shorten to 5 games first two rounds. start next season early november.  

I would like for the Television Execs to waive the 70 game requirement in favor of a play in tourney. For the top seeds who says its not fair, they could do a losers bracket in case they get upset in 1st round.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

It's not just the handful of games per se, it's the practices, a chance for the team to be together and seeing where guys are at. Schlenk is publicly lobbying for it, and it's not just because of money.

I think a single team practicing within themselves should be much easier to manage from a logistics and risk perspective.  I can't see a scenario where the team doesn't get back to practice and regular training in some form or fashion even if the games don't end up manifesting.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think a single team practicing within themselves should be much easier to manage from a logistics and risk perspective.  I can't see a scenario where the team doesn't get back to practice and regular training in some form or fashion even if the games don't end up manifesting.

This!

• Premium Member

I'm really not liking the play-in games idea (which apparently is to get Zion playing)...too much to sort out in regards to draft position and even contract incentives. If a player has a playoff based incentive and they are currently in but teams loses are 1 game playoff, what happens?

Example:

Fournier has $1.1 million in incentives, with $600,000 broken down into four categories: first-round appearance in the playoffs, second-round appearance, conference finals and Finals. Fournier will also need to appear in 75% of the games played per round. Likely outcome: There will be a negotiation when it comes to Fournier’s incentives. The guard has already met the required number of games (60), but the Magic might have to win a play-in game to make the postseason. When the season was postponed, Orlando was 5.5 games ahead of Washington for the final playoff spot in the East. If Orlando loses a play-in, does that mean Fournier doesn’t get his first-round appearance bonus?
 via Bobby Marks @ ESPN

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm really not liking the play-in games idea (which apparently is to get Zion playing)...too much to sort out in regards to draft position and even contract incentives. If a player has a playoff based incentive and they are currently in but teams loses are 1 game playoff, what happens?

Example:

Fournier has $1.1 million in incentives, with $600,000 broken down into four categories: first-round appearance in the playoffs, second-round appearance, conference finals and Finals. Fournier will also need to appear in 75% of the games played per round. Likely outcome: There will be a negotiation when it comes to Fournier’s incentives. The guard has already met the required number of games (60), but the Magic might have to win a play-in game to make the postseason. When the season was postponed, Orlando was 5.5 games ahead of Washington for the final playoff spot in the East. If Orlando loses a play-in, does that mean Fournier doesn’t get his first-round appearance bonus?
 via Bobby Marks @ ESPN

exactly.  This is why they need to keep things as normal as possible.  in my mind you have to shorten the playoff series to wrap up this season by august.   So the only decision is whether to play out the regular season or not.   

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

exactly.  This is why they need to keep things as normal as possible.  in my mind you have to shorten the playoff series to wrap up this season by august.   So the only decision is whether to play out the regular season or not.   

If they're going straight to the playoffs, they'll want as many games as possible for the TV revenue to make up the RS shortfall, so I don't see them playing less games.

They've already indicated that the 2020/21 season will be pushed back for a December start with the HOPE of fan attendance. (Unlikely)

• Moderators

I understand there is a lot to work out but that's 2 full months away.   In my mind they are missing the window to play games when covid is subsiding and risking running into a potential second wave in the fall.  If they start July 31st i don't see anyway they don't go (relatively) straight to playoffs.  Otherwise the champions are going to go from Finals > Training camp while Lottery teams won't have seen action since February.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I understand there is a lot to work out but that's 2 full months away.   In my mind they are missing the window to play games when covid is subsiding and risking running into a potential second wave in the fall.  If they start July 31st i don't see anyway they don't go (relatively) straight to playoffs.  Otherwise the champions are going to go from Finals > Training camp while Lottery teams won't have seen action since February.  

Teams will need to quarantine for at least 2 weeks. Players want anywhere from 2-4 weeks of training camp, that leaves 2 weeks to prepare Disney and get ready to travel to the site before players arrival. 8 weeks gone by pretty fast.

• Sad 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Teams will need to quarantine for at least 2 weeks. Players want anywhere from 2-4 weeks of training camp, that leaves 2 weeks to prepare Disney and get ready to travel to the site before players arrival. 8 weeks gone by pretty fast.

Seems like preparing the site could start now.  Players could start quarantining now.  2 weeks of camp.   you could start early july.  But seeing how they haven't made any decisions probably not. 

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Seems like preparing the site could start now.  Players could start quarantining now.  2 weeks of camp.   you could start early july.  But seeing how they haven't made any decisions probably not. 

This^.

Players a going to facilitates but are only doing 1 on 1 stuff with 1 coach. Hawks just made their weight room available to the players.

55 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Having more than just the playoffs but not having every team really is a slap in the face.    

Are you surprised? Whether David Stern or Adam Silver, sane ole crap. 22 team thing is a joke. Get Zion in whatever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Are you surprised? Whether David Stern or Adam Silver, sane ole crap. 22 team thing is a joke. Get Zion in whatever.

Same as it ever was....Still had a bigger problem with David than Adam though. Just so much more blatant with him. Oops, said I would wait a year to bash. Just this once.

• Like 1